Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Germany A8 easy stopover

Poster: A snowHead
due to lack of flight options from where we live we are flying to Hahn airport on fri 12th landing at 19.00. hiring a car and driving part of the way to mittelberg in the Kleinwalsertal ski area to arrive on sat 13th. would hope to make it to Stuttgart or Pforzheim for our stop but as we will have a 3yr old in the back who has a boredom threshold of about 5 min we may bail before that. any recommendations for a easy stop off the A8? Don't want to veer too far off as our journey is long enough without making it longer. mind boggling amount of options come up on web searches and would rather some inside tip.
anyone been to Mittleberg/ Kleinwalsertal? inside knowledge would also be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Booked ourselves in for a Ibis stopover en route to the Dolomites, found a reasonably priced one in Ettlingen which is south of Karlsruhe. Its not far off the A8 and just in the town for a wander around. Never stopped here before but been in other Ibis's which seem good value for the price.
Can't comment on Mittleberg...sorry!
Just for your info, Friday on Germany autobahns is a nightmare, so although it doesn't look far, the traffic could be horrendous.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it's is on your way we often stop at the iq hotel in Langenau (near ulm) its adjacecent to the motorway, inexpensive and has quite large quiet rooms.

http://www.iq-hotels.de/iqhotel_langenau/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Simon94, @daveqpr, thanks. will check those out
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@garc, I have close relatives in Mittleberg/ Kleinwalsertal, so do spend some time there (but not in the hotels and /or bars). What do you want to know?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd pick an Ibis or a BB Hotel (hotelbb.de ?). Must be one or other close to the A8 (or A5, or A6).
Ulm probably has the most convenient cluster of hotels right by the autobahn, but would be probably quite a late arrival.
Never stayed at any of them, so no idea what's best.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@garc, Alb Inn, Merklingen. Right next to motorway very clean and great breakfast.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for the replies again.@Markymark29, looks good but a little expensive at 128 euro.@andy, hotelbb gives us a few options at decent prices so looking good.
@Steilhang, what the bars are like if there are any was 1 question which as you say you cant answer. are the ski slope facilities good for toddlers. i.e. a 3yr old who will prob just mess around for a few hrs so would like a carpet lift if possible . if he takes to it we may put him in class but we assume there would be little or no English spoken so prob no point? looking at the ski map its hard to tell how well connected the slopes are and if there are any decent intermediate long runs. have you skied there much? don't need lots of mileage but would like 5 or 6 decent runs.
we have always loved the relaxed picturesque Austrian resorts and was wondering if Kleinwalsertal is in this category or is it more German style as its only possible to get there from Germany.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@garc, English is spoken, no worries. In Mittelberg itself there is a toddlers ski school right behind the church iirc. They take kids from age 3 onwards. We used them ourselves for my son and for my nephew. No complaints. Ask in the Hotel they will be able to direct you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are bars... I just don't use them much! Don't expect wild apres though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
no need of wild apres with us as I have just past 50 so just want a quiet but decent pint. ya I know, a 50yr old dad with a 3yr old!!
its along story. appreciate the info
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The ski area...
In Kleinwalsertal there are three main villages strung out along the valley. Starting at the bottom you have Riezlern, which has the Kanzelwand/Fellhorn as it's ski area. Then comes Hirschegg with it's own two ski areas Ifen and Heuberg, then comes Mittelberg with the Walmendingerhorn.

Kanzelwand/Fellhorn is the biggest, and spans over to Germany. There are a lot of runs and a lot of off piste possibilities. I can happily spend a few days skiing there.
Ifen does not have many lifts, but is fine for a day at a time, and also has plenty of variants to be explored.
Heuberg is really a beginners area (you can connect into it from Mittelberg via the Zaferna lift). Can be nice, but I have not spent much time there.
Walmendingerhorn is Mittelberg's Hausberg. I love it! There are not many lifts, but lots of variants off piste. I often just spend a whole day skiing the same run over and over again laying down tracks!

This is not the place to go if stacking up mileage is your thing. OTOH if picking a few runs and spending your day discovering them is your thing then you have made a good choice. Mittelberg is quiet, family oriented, so no wild party scene a' la St.Anton. That's what I like about it!

Btw, on top of the areas in Kleinwalsertal itself you have the Oberstdorf side with the Nebelhorn. If you are a good skier then definitely worth a visit!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
garc wrote:
no need of wild apres with us as I have just past 50 so just want a quiet but decent pint. ya I know, a 50yr old dad with a 3yr old!!
its along story. appreciate the info
58 yo dad with a 12 yo... you don't need to explain Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just worked it out @Steilhang, you win by 1 year Very Happy great info on the skiing. last Q. I read somewhere that only 5km are covered by snow making. I know there is more than enough snow at the moment but in other years ie the last 2 , how did the resort manage or do they always get decent falls of the white stuff. looks like the Mittelberg slopes are s/w facing so would imagine it would be a poor choice in late March? we are looking for a small resort for a group either this March 24th or early next year
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@garc, it's a very snow sure area so in fact there have not been that many real drought seasons. As the crow flies the valley is not far from Lech/Arlberg, which is renowned for it's snow. When the gods are nasty you are likely to meet lots of locals in the bars feeling sorry for themselves and telling you about the old days when everything was better. No doubt they are right. I have pictures of my father in law standing on the roof of his house with the snow basically higher than his head... doesn't seem to happen any more.
ski holidays
heuberg Hirschegg ski area is the best for children...
My opinion : since you will have your own car, worths a visti Ifen...it is not so good for children, even if there is a super blue slope, but the place is suberb...the best snow record of the area, lovely black slope, and the landscape is also super....
snow conditions
@garc, We paid 90€ incl very good breakfast 2nd January 2018 for 2 people, huge bed and very clean at Alb Inn via Bookings.com......great value at that I thought.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy