Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - have I left it too late?!

Poster: A snowHead
Here I was thinking that I was going to leave booking until the last minute so as to get the good snow ...... but to my horror Shocked upon checking various websites it looks like the weekend we are going (4/5 March and not changeable) is pretty booked up already and there's not much availability left already!

Should I hold my nerve and wait ..... or should we book something now? If we booked something now where should we looking so as to make sure we go somewhere that has at least a chance of some good snow?

It it helps at all I was quite taken with trying/leaning towards Finland, Norway, Sweden ...... but I might have to take what I can get now!

Many thanks

Hannah
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hannah, hmmm, last minute booking for one of the seasons peak weeks might be best avoided in future. If you can get something that fits the bill, I would be tempted to book myself.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't panic just yet Hannah. Looking at iglu , they seem to have a fair bit left for that week (227 deals at first glance although I didn't check specifically for Scandinavia).

As a veteran of last minute dealing, I can assure u that this is probably the point at which your nerve is tested most: if there are only two of you going, u can probably afford to hold out until the last week-10 days and still have choices available.

That week is always going to be busier than later in March but bookmark a few deals sites and check daily and you'll be sure not to miss out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hannah, wehave availability for that week in Le Mouflon, La Rosiere, not Scandinavia I'm afraid but there's masses of fresh snow and we have a special offer for march bookings, a free Espace San Bernardo lift pass covering France and Italy for every adult booking. See our ad in snowShops or go to our website www.tracksvacations.com for details.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If there is only 2-4 of you hold your nerve.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, do. Especially as some of the places offering super deals at the moment don't actually have much snow worth speaking of.... But don't set your heart on a specific region.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Worst comes to the worst you can always drive to the alps & find a hotel so I wouldn't worry
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you looked at www.chaletsdirect.com? Independent chalet owners mainly in France/Switzerland who always seem to be able to offer something. Put a question on the Solutions Room on the site - you never know. Good Luck! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hannah, Faint heart never won fair lady. So keep cool and wait a little may be.
From a travel industry perspective for March there is till plenty of availability around. Keep monitoring the main ski tour operator web sites i.e. First Choice, Thomas Cook, Crystal, My Travel and Inghams.
It depends a bit on where you live Gatwick could be sold out but Manchester or Bristol could be dirt cheap, or vice-versa even. Prices can change by the hour so keep a weather eye on the market place!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone for your replies - I will hold out until next weekend and judge the situation/snow then .... !

Thanks again

Hannah
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hannah, I wouldn't wait too long, it's still tipping down with snow and we've had 3 enquiries for that week since yesterday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hannah You're confusing.

You want the "best" snow, but you want Finland, Norway, Sweden.

What if that's not where the "best" snow is by the time you go?

So what is it you want?

Is it a) you want particularly to go to Finland/Norway/Sweden? If so, why?

Or b) do you simply want the best snow of Europe? If so, why?

Once you've sorted out what you want, then you have a better chance of getting it.

NB Availablity is difficult for Northern european countries (c.f. Alps) at best of times, let alone last minute.

Highest concentration (i.e. a chance of getting any) last minute deals is in France. Then Italy (usually, but probably not this year due to Winter Olympics!), Austria, Andorra. Very unlikely to find reasonably priced last minute deals for Switzerland, although I hear it can be done.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manda, now I've confused myself! Sorry!

I do want to go where the best snow is (for us). By "best snow" I suppose I mean somewhere where the slopes aren't icy and slushy, which is why I wanted to leave it until the last minute so we could hopefully see what the weather forecast would be for the week we were going and make a judgement call based on that and the snow already there. I fancied Scandinavia because it is quieter than other resorts with less lift queues, but I will go wherever is right for us at the time.

Sorry if I've confused anyone!

Hannah
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I fancied Scandinavia because it is quieter than other resorts with less lift queues

if you want to avoid lift queues avoid the big ski factories where all the British tour operators go. There are plenty of small French resorts (and no doubt others others in Austria, Switzerland etc but I don't know about them) where there will be little or no queues once the French holidays are over - you have picked a very good week to go. You could put yourself together a package, lots of advice available here. I have skied in Norway (Geilo) albeit a very long time ago. I think you could probably do better in the Alps, depending on your other holiday criteria, and especially if you plan to drink any alcohol....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even if it doesn't snow again, I think you'd be unlucky not to have decent conditions in France in 2weeks time given the forecast is for it to continue snowing. Now may be the time to book. I wouldn't be put off the big french resorts by fear of queues the week you are going. The bigger resorts tend to have the better lifts
snow conditions
Hannah, try igluski.com. I've booked for the following week with them today for France but it seems that they are now getting a lot of enquiries with the current snowfalls. The guy I was speaking to said that their website had crashed at lunchtime because they've been so busy. Not all of their operators are the brightest sparks but the chap I dealt with was very helpful - Ian on 0208 254 3068. They are open again tomorrow (opening times on the website)
snow report
Hannah,

Alpe D'Huez is getting a lot of fresh powder at the moment. Better get in soon cos all the hotels are filling up quick as you'd imagine.

Great pistes there too as La Sarenne - longest black run in Europe! Skullie

Good luck - hope you have a great time. Little Angel
snow report
Hannah, we've had iglu chasing us for availability and i'm sure we're no differnt from 100 other small operators, if you want w/c 4/5th March book now.
snow report
Have you tried Crystal - this is their special offer page...

http://www.crystalholidays.co.uk/crystal_ski/special_offers.htm
ski holidays
Hi hannah

If it helps we have availability for the week starting Sun 5th march. Snow conditions here are very good.
latest report
I've had loads of enquiries following the snow at the weekend
latest report
Quote:

The bigger resorts tend to have the better lifts

Hmm. Sometimes. The worst lift queues I encountered in many years of low/cheap season ski holidays, were in the 3V and Chamonix (except for a sunny weekend in the Cairngorms, which beat the lot). Because they were full of Brits and other non French nationalities on packages. I still reckon that if you stay away from the resorts favoured by the UK tour operators you would be unlucky to have problems with lift queues after the first week of March.
snow conditions
Ah but Chamonix isn't really a big resort just lots of small ones close together so every part has its choke points e.g. Brevent Gondola after 10am etc
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy