Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Protecting a recent fibula fracture

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My youngster (16) had an accident on the ice skating rink 14th Nov 2017. I tried just attaching xray with no success
We are driving to Franve in 2 1/2 weeks.
He is a snow boarder so I'm thinking this injury will be OK to board with - certainly hope so.. Hes had 11 weeks of mend time
Anyone know how best to protect it to reduce possibility of causing more damage?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Without seeing the fracture its difficult to advise but 11 weeks should be fairly well healed.

The problem may be more due to the resultant weakness of supporting muscles.

It is still worth doing physio even if just two weeks to go.

There are some supports like these
https://www.racquetdepot.co.uk/aircast-air-stirrup-universal-ankle-brace/?setCurrencyId=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-ebSBRC8ARIsAGuxJIr3R

They may not fit in the boots that well though.

A good physio could as an alternative show you how to tape the ankle.

Overall . that may be the best option.

Jonatha Bell
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really helpful thank you.
Will look at the strapping - we had been thinking along this route.
Problem is he thinks he's invincible and doesn't need it.
Muscle build up should be good as he cycles, climbs and is generally sporty at all times Smile
The fracture looked pretty minor (not that I'm an expert) I might not have been looking at the right bone.

i have stuck a photo of the xray on one of my websites - http://swarmcatcher.co.uk/fibula-fracture/ if anyone is interested
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The occurrence/break took place on the 14th of November........? If so, that's a short "11 weeks"....., 8 by my count, but who's counting? If so, no problem, forget any medical advice or caution and, by all means let him go out, tear it up. A nice warm bowl of nourishing broth at the end of the day will see him through. Never need concern yourself with any injury, rehab or full repairative time. Injuries always heal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@arcsinice, 11 weeks when they go not real time
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, thank you for explaining that for me, as I was not clear enough..
At the time we were advised he should be alright. What I'm after is some advise on how best to give it extra protection. Strapping seems to me as if its going to be the best option, as usefully suggested by @Jonathan Bell.
There's no point in trying to explain that we had unfortunately booked everything for our independent drive out and arranged everything around it, otherwise we could have delayed it a few weeks - then again the conditions may not be so good, leading to an injury because of that, plus that would be more of an interruption to some of his exams.
Maybe @arcsinice has some good advice on how to tell him hes not going to be boarding this year despite having been advised that he should be alright by the doctors.
On the other hand he may have some useful advice on how to best protect the fibula.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the medics say he's OK to board, then there's probably not much in the wat of protection needed. As JB above says, muscle weakness / imbalance main thing, but sounds like he's fit ( and young) so unlikely to be an issue.
Best protection is surely to take it slow and easy, especially the first few days, and not to over-do or push it. Oh, wait, a 16 year old lad Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @Grizzler - looks like there's so much snow there will be plenty of soft spots to land, just as long as we can see where we are going NehNeh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy