Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring boots - Liners rubbing on shell ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok Folks so I managed to pick up a pair of Atomic Waymaker "tour" 110 boots in the sales.

These differ from the regular waymakers as they have a PeBax construction / touring soles / tech inserts and importantly Intuition Liners. I bought them as my first touring boots as although i have started to tour its not my primary goal so like the 50/50 design....the boot can tour but its also a dam good alpine boot. I have a problem though.

on the back of the intuition liner running from the base of the heel to the achillies there is a thick rubber strip, i'm guesting to protect the liner and possibly hold it in place in the heel area. after my first tour (about 3 hours) i took the liners out to dry them out and i noticed quite a lot of rub / damage in this area of the liner. Inside the boot shell here is a smooth rubber insert in the area of the damage, I figured a bit of rub was happening so i covered the area on the shell with electrical tape ( i guessed very sticky and very smooth).

Yesterdays tour (about 4 hours)...again took the liners out to dry and the tape has balled up and the rear of the left liner is almost "eaten" all the way through the thick rubber heel protection strip!! I'm now thinking that in another couple of tours i will have a hole in the liner?

Has anyone else had a similar problem with touring boots and liners? is there a fix?

boots were properly fitted in store and although they are a size smaller than my normal boots (apparently i was wearing a size too big) they are comfortable, nice and tight and not slipping with no heel movement inside the liner.

Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you post pics?

You could try tape on the liner and on the inside of the boot so two smooth surfaces are rubbing against each other.

Sounds like your heel is not moving in the liner but the liner is moving (with the heel) within the boot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@enduroaid, I’ve had Waymaker 110, and now have the Waymaker 120, but my liners don’t move as they are foamed.

As mentioned by @DB, it does sound like your liner is moving excessively inside the shell, as is forming the equivalent of a blister at the friction point. Since the damage is already if effect, a lubricant might be the way forward, to make the movement friction free, or taking the alternative view, you need something to stop the liner moving as you walk.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@enduroaid,

I think you would have been better using duct tape rather than electrical tape - stronger glue and tougher tape. I'd tape the inner boot.
I'f be inclined to try to stop the movement though - might be worth putting one of those self adhesive u shaped pads in around the achillies area - your friend local bootfitter could supply/advise
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DB, @PowderAdict, @jedster,

Thanks guys....tried to post images which I hosted on dropbox but it wont post. just shows up as a wee blue ? I was thinking duct tape to both surfaces but it will be while before i get another tour in to test it out. The damage to the right liner is less than the left and the left boot was the one where my electrical tape solution failed so maybe that did more damage as it will have been rubbing inside the boot.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@enduroaid,
Just another thought - is your lower boot buckle(s) fully open?
I find it's best when shut to stop the liner moving within the boot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a not too dissimilar problem with Zipfits in alpine boots. Cured it by firstly sanding all the sharp and/or rough plastic edges inside the boots, and putting strong duct tape over the hinge nuts, etc. Fixed the Zipfits by using contact adhesive to glue cordura material onto the scraped areas of the liner.

Did that 73 ski days ago and it is still working well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@enduroaid,
In my admittedly limited experience (about 20 days touring last year, but with some very experienced folk) I would be reluctant to take measures which prevented the liner from moving.

Feet moving in liners equals a blisters. Feet not moving in liners equals foot happiness. My Intuition liners move in the boots but don't seem to rub. Just a thought.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DB, morning.... The waymaker is a 3 buckle boot, the "toe" or fore foot buckle is left close... Very loose and the heel and shin buckles are left open... Well I say open but the have a touring setting which is as good as open, it's just a small clip to stop the buckle flapping about but they are totally loose

@ulmerhutte, might be an idea to sand the edges of the shell pad... It's a small hard rubber circle about 3-4 mm thickness but it has straight cut edges so may be catching a bit
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
enduroaid wrote:
@DB, morning.... The waymaker is a 3 buckle boot, the "toe" or fore foot buckle is left close... Very loose and the heel and shin buckles are left open... Well I say open but the have a touring setting which is as good as open, it's just a small clip to stop the buckle flapping about but they are totally loose

Mornin'
Over the last 12 years or so of my ski touring activities with approx 20 touring days per year I've had various boots inc (4 & 3 buckle). The worst blisters I experienced were when I toured with the bottom buckles very loose as everything was moving. The boot should move when set to tour but neither the heel within the liner or the liner within the boot should move up & down otherwise you experience blisters or liner damage. You could try tightening the lower buckle to the extent that the liner or heel no longer moves upwards within the ski boot.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy