Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hit my first Frenchie yesterday

Poster: A snowHead
So there we were just at the entrance to the lift queue waiting for my daughter to arrive....

Then crash as this guy comes through over my skis having taken my OH out who is now lying on the floor with her skis still on and legs awkwardly positioned letting a few expletives go which is most unlike her.

The guy then proceeded to join the lift queue with my OH still on the floor - having quickly checked OH (still on ground) I grabbed his arm and tried to get him to acknowledge what he'd done, and he just tried to carry on saying he did not do it.

In a few micro secs red mist took over and the grey matter churned away recalling the story of a friend last season who was taken out in Morzine in a similar way and ended up in hospital with a big bill as the fecker who did it did not stop, so I was having none of it.

With his Gallic shrugs still going on I slapped him around the helmet (not a full on punch), to make him come to his senses that I was being serious and was not about to get away with it.

The slap sort of had the desired effect and for 30 secs or so we had threatening handbags with a bit if shoving and then he went to my OH to help her get up, though not too sure if he actually apologised?

Good news OH was ok, though did almost the classic snowboarder fall, on to her coccyx then whiplash of head on to the ground, though she was wearing a helmet.

But could have been so much worse with the ski not coming off and slow fall etc etc

If it had been worse then I would have hung on to him and the lifties, (plus a few others who saw it all) would have helped me out, but then not too sure as to what next steps would have been?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, Shocked glad the OH was OK. I don't know what happens as the guy who hit hubby left the scene.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, If in Italy, the ski patrol are often also Police of some description. Must admit, not at all sure if works other way round but I would think the pisteurs would be the first port of call.

Then a steep and slippy flight of stairs. Can be dangerous you know wink.

Glad all OK tho!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@Weathercam, If in Italy, the ski patrol are often also Police of some description. Must admit, not at all sure if works other way round but I would think the pisteurs would be the first port of call.

Yes hence why I decided to reign it in during my argument with the Italian instructor last year.

"You ski too close to us. You are dangerous. I speak to ski patrol and they take your pass away"
"You were sat in the middle of the piste, right behind the crest of a hill and as soon as I saw you I skied around you"
"Yes, you are right, but I am an instructor so you are wrong"
"OK... I'm sorry"
"Good. Goodbye".

Can't fault his logic.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A slap on the side of the helmet, pussy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dp, hmmm, I might have pushed it. But the OH is a local, shouts Italian (one doesn’t speak Italian) and would probably claim founders’ rights.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah. Some Irish guy (unrelated to any of us) came up to start giving him some abuse which I was all up for but it was like Day 2 of the week, we were having some good skiing and I didn't really want to lose my ski pass over the sake of winning an argument.

As you say, some nations do seem to believe in founders' rights more than others so even with eyewitnesses I'm not sure I'd have won.

I think basically I covered him and his rather beautiful female student in snow (that's the rules for people in the middle of the piste right? dig your edges in just to say 'hi') and I think he probably felt obliged to go primal and prove who the alpha male was.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:

If it had been worse then I would have hung on to him and the lifties, (plus a few others who saw it all) would have helped me out, but then not too sure as to what next steps would have been?

Helped you out, maybe. Done something about it? I'm not sure. I think the main thing is that if your OH had suffered an actual injury, they might have been obliged to help you get the guy's details so you could claim it on his insurance, not yours. But the only french lifties I've encountered were pretty ineffectual. I went through the gates to the chair lift with 3 people to my side (4 seat chairlift).... then the guy behind me decides he's coming too. I'm looking over my shoulder for the chair and didn't really see him, and the lifties weren't even watching. So I end up on his lap before he pushes me off face first onto the snow in front of the station!

All the lifties did about it was sent him to the back of the queue before even asking if I was alright!

Then we saw the lift guys in the bar that evening and they spotted us and we had a little laugh about it. They spoke alright english and told us that if they stopped every appalling skier that came into their lift queue, they'd have to build a jail at every station.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Then we saw the lift guys in the bar that evening and they spotted us and we had a little laugh about it. They spoke alright english and told us that if they stopped every appalling skier that came into their lift queue, they'd have to build a jail at every station.

I can relate to that. On an individual basis a bit frustrating but, as they say, it would be never ending if they actually did put their feet down.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last time something like this happened to us Mrs Jehu gave the guy (a large Dutchman) such a thrashing with her poles I had to drag her away, telling her she would get arrested for assault. He had felled us both while we were standing at the edge of the piste. All four of our bindings released and we ended up piled on top of the guy, who had no chance of avoiding blame and summary justice. I suppose the sensible thing to do is ask for their name and address and their insurance company details, but I never do.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Last time something like this happened to us Mrs Jehu gave the guy (a large Dutchman) such a thrashing with her poles I had to drag her away

that's where stantroll gets his excessive dislike for brits from then!!!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Am I the only one that gets run into by Brits?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nah I always get Germans who are often very apologetic and pleasant
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DanFuller wrote:

+1 Both times, strangely enough.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a brit but whenever I knock people over I talk to them in german. wink
latest report
My wife uses French. Very Happy
snow report
I haven’t knocked anybody over yet...what’s the Dutch for, “get out the way ar&ole!” Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I skied in Poland many years ago, the Polish instructor told us to be aware just how rude and arrogant the Russians can be. Everyone would be queuing for the lifts which could be quite long when some Russain would just try and push in at the front with no shame at all. The instructor told us just push them back out, it's the only thing they understand.
So after waiting for what seemed an eternity in one of the queues some Russain barged in a few places ahead, the red mist came down and I reached forward grabbed him by the hood and give it a hard pull and throw him on the floor to the side. He got up and shuffled to the back of the queue, lesson learnt. Fortunately, he had left his Kalashnikov at home that day!........
snow report
@king key, you want to try skiDubai. Self-entitled sons of Arabs who if you pull out of the line will grass you up to daddy and you'll probably get lashed or stoned or just left to rot in a 40º cell you're sharing with 8 other people with no access to showers. Best not to find out so you just have to let them get on with it.
snow conditions
I was on the verge of decking a French bloke a few years ago. He had skied into the back of me on a simple blue run. After getting up, I walked back up a little to ask and check he was OK. He immediately blamed me, then grabbed my coat collar and drew his arm back ready to punch me. I just grabbed his arm and stopped that. He then grabbed my sunnies from my face and said he was keeping them. I said no problem, I'll tell the gendarmes he's stolen them. He made to punch me again so I just gently took his legs from under him and he was on his backside.

He refused to return my sunnies and that was when I was tempted to thump him. Thankfully then, brain took over. His wife/partner was witnessing all this. I was separated from my group and nobody else around. For all I knew, he could be a chief of police, town mayor, or in a similar position of authority. So I simply pinned his wrist down, took my sunnies back, said au revoir, put skis back on and skied off.

I realised I was in his country. Home advantage is important in placed like France. Always think about where the power lies before getting into fisticuffs. wink
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
I was on the verge of decking a French bloke a few years ago. He had skied into the back of me on a simple blue run. After getting up, I walked back up a little to ask and check he was OK. He immediately blamed me, then grabbed my coat collar and drew his arm back ready to punch me. I just grabbed his arm and stopped that. He then grabbed my sunnies from my face and said he was keeping them. I said no problem, I'll tell the gendarmes he's stolen them. He made to punch me again so I just gently took his legs from under him and he was on his backside.

He refused to return my sunnies and that was when I was tempted to thump him. Thankfully then, brain took over. His wife/partner was witnessing all this. I was separated from my group and nobody else around. For all I knew, he could be a chief of police, town mayor, or in a similar position of authority. So I simply pinned his wrist down, took my sunnies back, said au revoir, put skis back on and skied off.

I realised I was in his country. Home advantage is important in placed like France. Always think about where the power lies before getting into fisticuffs. wink

Plenty of better places to ski, other than France in my opinion.
snow report
@RWDLYN,
Quote:

True, but I've yet to find anywhere that doesn't have a few selfish, egotistical, clueless, or all three of those attributes, people. If anyone finds a place like that let us know please (reliable snow, many kms piste and excellent lifts for a bonus point) wink
snow conditions
Plenty of people who need to relax Shocked

Yes I've had a few handbags at dawn moments, but is it worth getting into a fight Puzzled
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@RWDLYN,
Quote:

True, but I've yet to find anywhere that doesn't have a few selfish, egotistical, clueless, or all three of those attributes, people. If anyone finds a place like that let us know please (reliable snow, many kms piste and excellent lifts for a bonus point) wink

Davos/Klosters will tick all those, just take a wad with you! snowHead
snow conditions
Boris wrote:

Yes I've had a few handbags at dawn moments, but is it worth getting into a fight Puzzled

it does sound a bit school playground
latest report
Boris wrote:

+1
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Boris wrote:

it does sound a bit school playground

Sounds more like BS to me Laughing
latest report
DanFuller wrote:
I find they even don't block lift exits, or sit /stand in the middle of the piste. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just as an antidote to the above story - Mrs Cheb's cruciate ligament was taken out by your typical Brit skier at Brevent - out of control, with a feeling that the mountain was his, poles akimbo and the posture of a cow about to poo-poo itself, but skiing a Red... I would have gladly wrapped my ski poles around his neck, had he bothered to stop and apologise. As it happened he blurted something and was quickly on his way, while I was left to deal with the aftermath - Mrs Cheb's right leg assuming funny angles. The French - pisteurs and mountain rescue - were nothing but sympathetic and helpful from the word go. So was AMEX which paid for repatriation and the subsequent operation in the UK. Mrs Cheb made full recovery, but now we try to avoid Brits Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@cheburator, one of the reasons we like Åre in Sweden. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@PeakyB, ...hmmm bit like this...

Older guy takes out my 4 year old, by skiing far too fast across an intersection. He falls, and my son lands after a somersault in the air, his back protector and helmet doing their job. We immediately attend to my son and then I spot the guy trying to make a quick exit. I simply take one of his skis and go back to my son. We find him fine but shocked, but it could have been far far worse. The guy appears shouting, and I explain that it is a legal requirement in CH to stop and to give details after an accident. Without warning he punches me full on the left side of the face. The pisteur in attendance draws a big breath. I laugh and say carry on like that and you'll wind up in jail. I finally get his details. Six months later I need an implant to replace the tooth the guy shattered. His details, were of course, a total load of crap, with no reality to them at all. Fitzwilliam.
snow report
I'd have hit him in the knee with his own ski.
snow conditions
king key wrote:

So after waiting for what seemed an eternity in one of the queues some Russain barged in a few places ahead, the red mist came down and I reached forward grabbed him by the hood and give it a hard pull and throw him on the floor to the side....

Girl fight...Did you pull his hair as well.

Top tip for dealing with queue jumpers. Release their skis as quietly and gently as you can. If you get it right they wont realise until they are on the lift Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@valais2, awful. Shouldn't the pisteur have taken the lift pass off the perpetrator? Then he could have been identified through electronic records. I expect you were dazed , or worse, at the time.
If still capable, after taking a completely unjustified punch, I'd have struggled not to launch into a brawl to be honest. Dilemma is, and he probably exploited this, you have responsibility for a minor who has just taken a heavy fall.
As I said earlier, there are a few selfish, egotistical, clueless and in this case nasty violent people out on the slopes. Just as in all aspects of life! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:
Am I the only one that gets run into by Brits?

Nope. On Christmas Day I was sat on a bench above Meribel altiport eating a sandwich and sending Happy Christmas messages to friends and family when I suddenly became aware of an out of control back bottom coming at me with his poles outstretched pointing straight at me. The bench was separated from the almost empty piste (blue I think) by a bit of 'off piste' (maybe 2 or 3 metres) then a walking trail about the same width . I grabbed his pole just as it hit my knee. It was pretty sore but I managed to pull it away to avoid most of the effect of the impact. My sandwich and phone went flying into the snow. Pulling his pole back yanked him backwards and he fell just past me and my friend. He thought this was funny. Needless to say we didn't and told him so. Suggested that if he couldn't control himself on such an easy slope he was a danger to himself and more importantly other people and perhaps he needed some lessons. 'I've been skiing for years, I don't need lessons' he said. Then his wife/partner started shouting at us to stop having a go at him because 'things like this happen to everyone on ski slopes and it's not his fault'. We got pretty annoyed at that and a few choice words were offered. He sheepishly promised he'd get some lessons and scuttled off. I doubt he will have but if he's reading this and he hasn't I hope the next person he whacks into gives him a good hiding. I'm not one of the 'lessons, lessons, lessons' brigade but if you can't even stop yourself crashing off an empty flat blue over a walking track and into someone sitting on a bench you shouldn't be allowed out unless on a leash.

ETA: It might actually have been a green.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 4-01-18 23:27; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@cheburator, if it makes you feel better you get idiots of every nationality

punching frenchies is just especially fun because they are french.
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:
Release their skis as quietly and gently as you can. If you get it right they wont realise until they are on the lift Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Is this actually possible? Surely you cannot release somebody from their heel binding whilst they're still putting weight on it?
snow report
@dp, you just need to put more weight on. You can do it with a pole if you time it right. (My instructor for our first ski week was a bit of a erm...prankster.) They usually just step out of them and get flustered but if they pole along to the lift the skis fall off as their feet leave the ground.
ski holidays
I mean I can understand that if you can put more weight on the heel it'll pop them out. But surely once you take the weight off, they'll just pop back in?

I'll have to give it a try for myself Toofy Grin Puzzled
latest report
I once had someone do this amusing trick to me twice in lift lines, the second time he did it I accidentally stood on his free foot with the heel of my ski boot. Snowboard boots don't have that much strength on the instep, who knew ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy