Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Carver Access Skis? Yeah or Nah?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to skiing! I rented skis for the first time and went about 2 weeks ago. I want to get some used skis for my first set. That way if they get beat up real bad im not freaking out.

Well a guy is selling 2 pairs of Volkl Carver Access skis, one is 167cm and the other 160cm. Both skis have Marker 27 bindings. I was fit for between 156 and 162 at a shop in town.

I cant find much info on these skis or bindings. Would they be a good buy for someone just starting out? Its only like $120 for both pairs, a bag, and 2 sets of poles (size not listed).

Any help would be great!
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't buy skis just because they're cheap. A good deal is not a good deal if the kit isn't doing you any favours.

For a first pair you can still buy something new or nearly new. Just be careful with them. End of season and pre-season you can always buy nice skis at good prices.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MrMayonnaise, they are 20 years old. The bindings have probably seized/broken and the skis are very old tech.

Avoid, avoid, avoid ...!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Okay! That seems reasonable! I dont want to be buying anything dangerous!

Would a pair of 2013 skis be safe? Generally speaking...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MrMayonnaise, who knows?

The thing is, if you’ve just started and there isn’t a good reason to buy, you might well be better holding off as the kit you want now is not going to be what you want very soon (hopefully).

That said, you can get starter kit new from e.g. Decathlon, for not an enormous amount of bucks.

Where you based?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, I am in Las Vegas. I know that renting for a few more times would probably be best but i just dont like the idea of using different skis every single time that were set up by some 19 year old kid. Granted, that 19 year old kid knows way more than me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't know why you had to make the reference to the "19 year old kid". There is no need to bring blatant age discrimination into the matter. I suspect any 19 year old ski technician working in a ski shop would not have gone and bought some 20 year old skis and bindings thinking they were getting a good deal so I might suggest on that front you wind your neck in a few notches and start again.

On a more productive note, since you clearly don't know very much about skis, you might actually benefit from walking into a good ski shop, out of season, and helping any one of their 19 year old (or any other age) shop techs help you choose a set of skis that are well suited to your size, weight, ability etc... rather than choosing random crap of eBay and asking an internet forum to help you choose the least rubbish.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dp wrote:
I don't know why you had to make the reference to the "19 year old kid". There is no need to bring blatant age discrimination into the matter. I suspect any 19 year old ski technician working in a ski shop would not have gone and bought some 20 year old skis and bindings thinking they were getting a good deal so I might suggest on that front you wind your neck in a few notches and start again.

On a more productive note, since you clearly don't know very much about skis, you might actually benefit from walking into a good ski shop, out of season, and helping any one of their 19 year old (or any other age) shop techs help you choose a set of skis that are well suited to your size, weight, ability etc... rather than choosing random crap of eBay and asking an internet forum to help you choose the least rubbish.

Wow man, that was pretty hostile for me making a stupid joke. And i am referencing some guy that works at the shop closest to my house that charges a premium for everything (skis, boards, and cycling). He had to ask for help form the manager twice while i rented gear from him. When i asked him about bikes (just curious about a new bike i saw) he was extremely knowledgeable. But, like i had said in my last post, that 19 year old guy knows way more than me.

Also, i didnt know the skis were 20 years old because i couldnt find them when i searched. If i had known i wouldnt have even considered them. So i thought, hm, i bet there are some helpful skiers online that can help someone get into the sport mid-season. I dont really want to wait until next season even though i know there will be better deals post-season or in the summer time when people are off loading equipment they dont need.

So, dp, thank you for your advice of waiting 4 months to get any help in starting a new sport. I am excited to now patiently wait for the snow to melt, buy some gear on sale, and wait for next winter. You have been a massive help!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@MrMayonnaise, I'm sorry if you were offended. I wasn't being hostile, I was just saying that you ought to cut off that chip on your shoulder. You're the one who said you wouldn't want to buy gear in a shop staffed by a 19 year old. I simply protested that firstly, there's nothing inherently wrong with 19 year olds; and secondly, if I was in your boat and looking for advice, I wouldn't be discounting getting it from people just based on their age.

As for the Volkls being 20 years old, I'm not being funny but I literally typed Volkl Carver Access Skis into google and the third result which came up was for a review of them. The review is dated February 2000. So the skis, by power of deduction, must be at least 18 years old.

I have no problem with the substance of your question, just with your inference that having them setup by a 19 year old ski technician is inherently bad. I'm not 19 myself or anything, I just hate all forms of pointless discrimination. There are some very knowledgeable 19 year old skiers out there.

How many weeks are you looking to ski this year? My actual point - along with @under a new name's, is that you might be better to do some hiring to begin with. Firstly, to get to a stage where you're good enough to choose a ski that's going to last you the foreseeable future and secondly, to ski a few different models to learn what you do and don't get on with. Any current hire ski is going to be a better performer than something you're going to pick up mid-season for $120 for 2 pairs. Once you've done some good time on a variety of skis, and learned what does and doesn't work for you, and got your technique to a suitably solid state that you can identify what difference the skis are actually making... you'll be in a great place to choose your first pair. AND it'll probably be end of season by then so you'll be in the right place for a bargain! Madeye-Smiley Win

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 3-01-18 23:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dp, yawn
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy