Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tracking your Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else use Garmin / Strava to track their skiing? Last week we managed 156 miles with 26 miles descent in Les Arcs.

Love the relive app that show the route in relief. Here's a couple from last week.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1326535244

https://www.relive.cc/view/1330545884

https://www.relive.cc/view/1331821554
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven’t used Garmin or Strava but I love Ski Tracks

156 miles is a lot, I ski about 50 miles a week
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually that's quite impressive. Does it drain your phone battery quickly? I'm always concerned that I'll have a dead battery just when I need it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don’t know about Strava and Garmin but Ski Tracks has an option to stop recording if the battery gets below 20%. Can’t say I’ve noticed much of a battery drain using it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're using your phone drop the network connection to the lowest 'G' you need, as the older the technology the more optimized and power efficient it is.

On my phone running 4G and GPS tracking all day I'd kill the battery by late afternoon. Switch it down to 2G (fine for voice/txt/low data apps) and I'll come off the slopes with 30-40% battery remaining.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to try Strava at Easter, but will track it on Garmin watch and Sync later
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MelH, I use viewranger with download 1:25,000 topographical maps. It just about survives a full day in the mountains, but keep the phone in an inside pocket for warmth.

We did compare Viewranger, Ski tracks and Yuge while in Les Arcs all 3 agreed on roughly how far we skied every day. Yuge did not record distance traveled on the lifts whereas Viewranger did. IIRC the sort of average was about 50km and 5000m a day skiing. By day 5 we couldn't be bothered with any of it any more.

The most interseting statistic was a top speed of 114kph, which I will confess was when I switch YUGE on to check the lifts open while driving to the resort. It tickles me that this may be held in the YUGE database for the season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mjit, and switch off bluetooth, wifi decrease screen brightness and make sure it is switched off whenever you are not using it. But we all do this anyway.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We used Garmins in ski mode to track and then uploaded to Garmin Connect / Strava. The software seems better then we used it in February and it consistency only tracked the descents.
We had fairly conservative days with 2 stops most days and finished before the last lift. Rather impressed that our 8 year old son skied about 85 miles with us, plus his morning lessons. We got him all round Les Arcs including Villaroger and Les Granges as well as trip in the Vanoise express and up to Dos Rond.
Does Ski Tracks give you location? The one we tried (Family?) didn't seem to work.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup SkiTracks gives you location/map and you can run a "video" showing where you been

Dunno what the Family version is - I've got the version that cost about £1.

Skitrack
PS can I sue as the nicked my SH username Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use Ski Tracks, but I also like using relive (e.g. https://www.relive.cc/view/1335128783 ) to get flyovers. Relive only works with a few services like Strava, so to get my data into Strava, I export from Ski Tracks as GPX, copy to RunGap and then share to Strava.

Fairly simple once you've done it.

In terms of battery life, I always use an external battery pack to top up at lunchtime. Fits into my pocket easily and fairly lightweight.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@buzzub, welcome to snowheads and thanks for the tip. That's really useful, I went through a process of exporting skitracks and importing into google maps but your method looks way easier.

Thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MelH, I haven’t used Strava for skiing, but does it know where the lifts are and exclude time/distance on them in the way that ski tracks does? I suspect skitracks is rather better for skiing as it knows the name of each run and breaks your skiing down accordingly.

156 miles in a week seems about right. I usually cover about 25 miles in a normal day. If I was working at it, (first lift-last lift) then I suspect you could easily do 50 miles a day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I (American here) use Trace Snow. It's a free app, and it tracks everything, speed, jumps, vertical, distance, etc. We just turn off mobile data and keep gps on and our batteries haven't ever ran out. A fair warning though, we we're skiing in -25 Celsius conditions and our phones (we're in jacket pockets) would just shut off if we tried to unlock them outside, but if you aren't skiing that cold it should be fine. Also, in North America (they have this in Europe also I think) they tell us the name of every lift and piste we did each run and it's easy to share and look at leaderboards and such. More of an American app, but every day I do see someone who logged 60k vertical in Europe at the top of the leaderboard, so it exists there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks again @buzzub I've now gone through the process and its all working. For anyone interested (and my record) this is the process I went through.....

Tried to use a common account throughout so I used facebook for authentication into each app where possible. This is the same as @buzzub describes

I use skitracks so that was the source, I also have strava on my phone already
    On iPhone downloaded "rungap" itunes
    purchased a rungap "swag bag" from the app to allow exporting to strava
    logged into rungap/strava sync using facebook authentication
    from within skitracks went into each saved track and used the share icon to "export as GPX"
    selected "Copy to RunGap" as the target on the next screen
    did this for each track, dont know if you can bulk export as I only have 3 weeks in SkiTracks
    within RunGap selected Strava and then Synchronise Activities you can resync as needed
    checked within strava all my old skitracks are there Very Happy
    on iPhone Downloaded relive.cc itunes
    create an account with facebook authentication
    within settings connected strava as a tracker
    signed up for 1 month club subscription as I want to import old skitracks and you can't do that without a subscription. I will cancel the subscription after 1 month as I ahem don't do much else.
    Went to memories
    Clicked on the + sign to add some
    This brings up the Strava list
    Selected each one I wanted in Relive
    Go to memories
    Selected All to show older items
    Clicked on the pencil on each one to kick off the Relive creation

After waiting a bit they turn up and all is good. buzzub is correct now its there all should be pretty easy to do.

One of our days in Les Arcs

Have fun
Djf

EDIT: Trying this on some new tracks my son sent me it didn't work. He text me the GPX files and then I open them in Skitracks, then I exported them from ski tracks into rungap, open the activity in rungap and then selected the ... to share with strava. the share operation added it to strava and I was good to go. Just for info
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy