Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowshoes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know if these can be hired in the UK?
Mrs Z can no longer ski and is interested in trying snowshoeing but they are not available to hire in the resort we're going to.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
She'll love snowshoeing! Not that expensive in resort either, think Intersport have them for around €80 then you've got your own!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ray Zorro, Mrs jbob got hers in decathlon for not much, they are a bit bulky when traveling.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@KenX, @jbob, thanks for your input! I hope she enjoys it - must admit that I fancy giving it a go!

I have found some snowshoes in the UK to rent and I'll leave it here in case anyone else finds themselves in the same position. http://www.outdoorhire.co.uk/quick-links/snow-shoes.php
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We started snowshoeing about 4 years ago because one of our party didn't ski, so we went out with them in rotation. Now we almost always do 1-2 days snowshoeing in any week we're out, especially when the weather is bad for skiing. You can get right away from the pistes but still not be very far from the resort, so you get away from the crowds but can still get home easily. It's also great exercise but not physically stressful, or with the same risk of collision. We now don't bother skiing on those whiteout/foggy days and just snowshoe instead. Definitely worth having a go anyway. And even in the resort, the snowshoes can be useful if you have to negotiate any steep drives or roads around your lodgings.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@LaForet, thanks, that's really helpful.
Which shoes did you buy?

For those that have done it - any hints or tips to offer?
Do you wear ski gear and walking boots?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ray Zorro, We did it recently in Iceland. I would definitely go with waterproof boots, but they must be ones you are comfy in as the rear strap ratchets tight on the back of your shoe. I was wearing Merrill walking shoes and the low height gave me a very nasty blister on one foot. 3 of us used poles and one didn't - I would certainly use poles. We all wore ski stuff.

We loved it

ZX6A0923<script>
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Based on hiking in the snow and ski touring rather than snow shoeing. Layering and ventilation zips are very important. You can get very warm, much warmer than downhill Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Claude B, Good point, concur 100% Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro wrote:
@LaForet, thanks, that's really helpful.
Which shoes did you buy?
For those that have done it - any hints or tips to offer?
Do you wear ski gear and walking boots?

We got ours over the Internet: sorry, I don't remember the vendor or price, other than it was middle-of-the-road £. Not one of the expensive high-tech designs.

The front is hinged and there are release clips an the rear - this so you can release the rear clip when you're going uphill and it's like climbing stairs. Neat.

We put our ski gear on with our summer ankle walking boots, and our 2 ski poles.

Carry them with the soles together, otherwise the spikes turn them into a form of mediæval hand-weapon - not appreciated on the navette.

http://youtube.com/v/XEx6XF_j43I
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LaForet wrote:

The front is hinged and there are release clips an the rear - this so you can release the rear clip when you're going uphill and it's like climbing stairs. Neat.

The clips are for transport and storage. They should be undone in use. They're called blockers.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy