Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Alignment & the Campbell Dynamic Ski Balancer

Poster: A snowHead
has anyone got a picture of the balancer, i have seen one but it was several years ago, just want to compare it to a couple of things i am looking at right now
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CEM, sorry, can't help you there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, hopefully not if they clean the filters properly!

spyderjon, that was my intuition this morning - leaning back on old skis "seemed" to work as poor technique could be partially compensated for by skidding out the heels. A vicious circle of course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM, think of a fat, baby, see-saw. That's about it really.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, does this help or do you want actual device pics?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, nice pic of you at number 5 Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, that's pretty close to the thing we were on, apart from the shaft (32) now being totally encased, rather than just held in with a U bolt.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
spyderjon, and what goes on in the tub, stays in the tub...

WTFH, I'm still having nightmares Shocked

All, sorry, you had to be there wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon,
Quote:

All, sorry, you had to be there

I am relieved that I missed this err...event Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowbunny, It was horrible, this was just a typical case in point

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, Ah, Butcher Bell. I heard his brother was pretty good? Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Isn't that an Olympian taking drugs?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Let's hope he's not also giving a sample. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, marc gledhill, thanks guys that is probably beter than a proper pic (bit clearer)

the device i am looking at is supposed (info has not arrived yet, its on its way from the states with a friend) to be a bit like the CDB but also deals with lateral balance as well....... i will wait and see what it actually does when i see it!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has anyone an idear how this balancer or way of setting up binding position handles a skier with a backpack? I have used a pack for 80% of my snow adventures and would think that the body position would be adapted automatically by the skier to compensate fore this!
Your thoughts are of value to me.

Thanks! Confused
snow report
Tuble Turn, my balancer 'score' is the same with or without a backpack.
snow report
Thanks for that! I'll make a balancer next week and have a look at what I get from it. I will be mounting an pair of Fritschi Freeride bindings on some new twin tip Amplid Tredy Drivers. Have you any tips for AT (Alpine Touring) Bindings or if there is much extra to consider with this type of binding?
ski holidays
Tuble Turn, The only thing to watch with Fritschi's is the delta angle as the binding set-up is flat if both the heel & toe spacers are installed. It's great for me as I prefer no delta angle, in fact I have my bindings set-up so that they're 1-2mm toe high. However if you prefer some delta angle then I'd recommend not fitting the toe spacer plate to reduce toe height by a few mm, for which you might need to grind done the mounting screws by an equivalent amount depending upon the thickness of the ski in that location.
snow report
Thanks for that! I have a bit still to learn about Delta angle and other aspects of binding fitting. Any further or definitive place to look as there is no snow where I live and next to no one that I know of that has such a scientific/methodical aproach! I would kind of love some sort of a check list where to start right through till final placement of bindings.
Thanks for your input!
ski holidays
spyderjon, i hadnt seen this thread initially but it ties up with what i saw with some skis you did for me. If you recall you mounted some VIST interchangable bindings on some Vokl Karmas for me. I believe you set the bindings at the "FreeRide" midpoint instead of the "FreeStyle" midpoint. The FR point I seem to recall is aft of the FS setting about 5cm.

When i skied them at first on piste i felt way, way back on the skis and couldnt engage an edge, i really didnt like the skis at all... I shifted the binding forward to as far forward as they will go using the speed lock plate and the difference was immediate and very noticeable. I must require a forward setting.. and would be interested in seeing what my "campbell" point is / should be... It is interesting that you said that most skiers at the ESA were several centimetres too far back and needed a + 5 or 6 cm adjustment.

Has your balancer project come along? I have some new heads coming in and wouldnt mind getting the balance once over on my full quiver... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimottaret, I've had a play on spyderjon's balancer and my neutral point is quite a lot forward (8cm? Jon, do you have a record of this?) of the midpoint. I've moved the bindings on my Fischer RC4 forward by 4cm after visiting Jon's place, but to be honest I've only skied on them once since then and didn't really give the skis a good workout to feel what the difference was. I've now got Vist Speedlock plates on my GS and slalom skis so I can have a proper test next season to find the most comfortable position, and will havethe confidence to move the bindings forward a lot after being balanced by Jon.
snow report
rob@rar, 4cm is quite a bit and i am thinking all my skis could do with going forward after my experience of the karmas. a trip to nottinham may be on the cards
latest report
skimottaret, yes, when I asked Bartlett's to move the bindings for me they asked if I was really sure as 4cm was a lot. I've skied on them for about 4 hours at MK since then and didn't feel unbalanced (well, not any more than normal!), so moving the bindings that much certainly wasn't a disaster. I'll spend more time next season using the versatility of the Speedlock plates to have a more rigourous test.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
spyderjon, and what goes on in the tub, stays in the tub...

WTFH, I'm still having nightmares Shocked

All, sorry, you had to be there wink

Spyderjon You have made my day just reminding me of it Laughing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Linds, thanks for reminding me pal rolling eyes

rob@rar, yep, I kept a record. Your balancer score was +8cm which means that your bindings should ideally be positioned on your skis so that the leading edge of the toe lug of your boot is 8cm in front of the CRS of the ski (Centre of the Running Surface).

skimottaret, I think the Campbell Balancer is a really useful tool but the best results will only be obtained if your boots have been properly aligned/forward lean checked etc. As well as alignment, CEM/Andi McCann's Neutralizer system also measures for your ideal binding toe height/delta angle etc which is an all encompassing check of your own physique's set-up including the boot's internal zeppa angle & the forward lean of your boot's cuff etc. My own ideal binding delta angle, as determined by both Bud Heishman in the US & by CEM/Andi here, is ideally 1-2mm high at the toe, & if my bindings or boots can't be adjusted to that then at least level. My Vist bindings have a +5mm delta angle (ie heel is 5mm higher than the toe) so I've got 7mm shims under my toe pieces to get me to +1mm high at the front (as the ski's top sheet curves down one mm).
I've played around on my Cambell Balancer with different shims under my boot's toe lugs & it has a noticable affect on the result so I'd definately recommend getting your boots fully fettled first by CEM/Andi.

Interestingly, whilst all recreational bindings have some degree of delta angle all of the top end race bindings that the pro's use are flat to allow the user to easily tweak their heights with either minimal shimming under the binding or minimal boot work etc. Many people do actually require a slightly toe high set-up which is why Vist make stepped mounting plates for racers that are thicker under the toe binding than under the heel piece.
snow conditions
spyderjon, is the CRS the line that is marked in the middle of (most) skis, or does that indicate something else?
snow conditions
rob@rar, there's no standardised system unfortunately. Most piste skis only have the manufacturers 'Mr.Average' boot mid-sole position marked. Many twin tips also have a centre line marked but it's not usually the CRS but is the true balance point over which that park rats position their boot's mid-sole mark so the the skis rotate easily & concentrically during spins etc. These skis will usually also have conventional freeride/all mountain line as well for non park use which is again a Mr.Average position. Some but not many do show the CRS & sometimes also telemark positions.

If you search on Epic & TGR you'll find loads of threads from folk comparing binding locations which is why a standardised system would be really useful.
ski holidays
spyderjon, glad it's all so simple rolling eyes I think trial and error with the Speedlocks is probably a good idea!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
how much of this is mumbo jumbo?

my guess- quite a lot
snow report
edsilva wrote:
my guess- quite a lot

Which bits?
ski holidays
edsilva, This is perfectly simple geometry designed to help, assist and compensate for the induvidual and the standardised equipment used. When you get it right, it makes a huge difference,admittedly more for some than others, but how do you know when you are on that scale?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, rob@rar, leaveedsilva alone, if he / she is happy being in a less than optimum position then so be it wink wink
snow report
spyderjon, Thanks Jon, that is most helpful. I am really happy with my boots/footbeds at the moment and other than them being a bit soft for me they were set up by profeet and should be fairly close. They are two years old now and might not be bang on but they are very comfortable and have a decent fit.

CEM, If i just needed the alignments/angle checked prior to having my ski binding positions reviewed by Jon should i come see you or Andi??
ski holidays
skimottaret, can you make it up saturday, if it is just a check we can get you in [andi is in] next date after that is sat 14th june, if i have the machine here then i can check them for you any time
latest report
CEM, 14th works well for me. I am at MK teaching in the morning so could be at your place at 2:30 or so? any good?
latest report
I have been fully checked out by CEM and Andy and thought i would share my experience.

I went along with a bit of worry as I am real happy with my current boots and was concerned that the guys would tell me I needed a new pair. I was hoping to just get the alignment checked for peace of mind mainly and didnt want to go through the whole expensive process of new boots/footbeds.

My footbeds /boots have around 24 weeks of skiing on them and the good news was they both felt the shell and liners were okay, provided a reasonably good fit and choice for my shape of foot. Phew.... credit card remains fairly safe wink Andy felt my current footbeds were a bit too soft and could do with a new set, i got upsold some new cork beds which CEM did for me. The new ones felt very stable and a definite improvement on my old ones. CEM assured me they would last for a long time and be transferable to new boots as and when, so far so good... Andy asked me if i had any problems with my skiing and/or different skis and i went through a few issues. He thought they could all be alignment related and from what he heard from me thought one boot could be out and my binding ramps angles not right. Interestingly as he checked my boots out we immediately found one boots baseboard was not flat and was 3mm higher on one side due to a bad casting of the plastic materials.. This could have explained one of my problems, I'm getting more interested in this and am starting to become a "believer"..... He ground that flat and them we played on the balancer.

You stand on one foot and slowly move up and down while he adjusts the lateral angle. I was pretty surprised how noticeable even a 1/2 degree tilt was and once we found the right angles for me I was able to move up and down much more in balance. Turns out i have 2 degrees of adjustment needed on both feet as my "prescription". We then did fore and aft adjustment and turns out i dont need any adjustment and a flat boot and binding set up would suit my stance. I take this as good news as it hopefully should be easier to set up on any new boots or skis i get...

to get to my 2 degrees he has to put a 1 degree shim in each boot which he attaches permanently to the baseboard which he checked for flatness and had reground. Apparently my boots have a 1 degree angle built in so hence the 1 deg shim... getting confused now but the boys seem to know what they are doing Laughing

Andy reassembled my boots/footbeds and then set the cant angle to adjust for the lower leg alignment. after this is done they felt MUCH better and almost like I was now was welded to the ground when i went into my skiing stance and moved up and down. My balance was noticeably better.

Now it gets kinda weird for me... After feeling pretty good on the floor I got up on the balancer for a final check and as i am moving up and down to test fore aft balance Andy isnt happy with my movement and I can feel my heel is moving up and down, not good... He thinks my ankle joint is too open and not flexing correctly. When skiing I sit back at times and have been getting stiff calves. Andy recons i need some heel lifters to close the ankle joint a bit. He sticks on what looks to be a massively thick 6mm plate under my heel and the difference again is immediate and very noticeable. as i move up and down my ankles flex much better, i can get lower and feel really well stacked. What I dont get is how the fore aft balancer said 0 degrees but i end up with a 6 mm heel lift, but it works so Im not complaining Toofy Grin if i am doing the maths right though the heel lift is only adding about a degree of difference.

Just need to adjust my bindings to get a zero ramp angle and i will have no excuses left Toofy Grin The interesting thing for me is that the problems i went through with Andy could be related to the initial problems with my boot and correctable with the changes made. So very happy in the end and although a fairly expensive process to get new beds and alignment it was defo worth doing. cant wait to get on the mountain and have a go!! I would highly recommend to anyone who is buying boots to get the whole footbed and alignment done with Andy and Colin...
ski holidays
skimottaret, it's all fascinating stuff isn't it? I was at CEM's a few weeks ago, am yet to ski with my newly fettled boots, really need to try them... but they made no promises of turning me from skiing like a dog to skiing like a god Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret, I've got 2, 3 & 4mm binding shims if you need 'em, although it's often easier to get CEM to plate up the front of your boots & then route the toe lugs back down to size. Can't do that to my Atomic boots though as the lugs are hollow.

BTW the new Marker Duke's have zero ramp angle & I'm told the Jester's are also zero but I haven't measured them myself.
snow conditions
spyderjon, Thanks, I have to measure up my RC4's and Volkls but may take you up on the offer of shims depending what i find out... Do you know what the ramp is for the VIST interchange bindings?

Once i get my new head skis in i will pop up for a binding position check on all my skis. With the equipment perfectly adjusted all excuses will be out the window and i will finally be exposed as the c**p skier i always have been wink
latest report
spyderjon, Wakey, Wakey.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy