Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold waxing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Advice needed please. I’m going to prep my skis just before I leave for the B.B; giving them a good hot scrape and then a couple of coats of hot wax. However, I don’t want to take my hot waxing gear with me, as I’m flying Ryanair and want to keep the luggage weight down. I have different waxes, one of which says, as well as applying hot, it can also be applied by crayoning on cold and polishing off with a scotchbrite pad.

If I find I need to apply more wax towards the end of the week, am I better to take it to a shop in Arabba for a hot wax, or will cold waxing do for a couple of days skiing. It’s all new to me.

Cheers
Awd
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Awdbugga, are you going for one week or two? If it’s one, don’t bother with any waxing gear this time of year, you’ll be fine without. If it’s two, there’s a service bench in the basement of the Portavescovo. Take your hot wax and a scraper, and be nice to snowheads with waxing irons wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
@Awdbugga, are you going for one week or two? If it’s one, don’t bother with any waxing gear this time of year, you’ll be fine without. If it’s two, there’s a service bench in the basement of the Portavescovo. Take your hot wax and a scraper, and be nice to snowheads with waxing irons wink

+1 just had 8 days of hard & fast skiing and my skis are barely in need of waxing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:

+1.

Awdbugga, crayoning on wax is a pain and has bugga all penetration so it's not worth the hassle. Buy a Zardoz Notwax pocket puck for in resort top-ups if needed.

Also, IIRC your skis are pretty new so why do you think your skis need a hot scrape clean?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:

Also, IIRC your skis are pretty new so why do you think your skis need a hot scrape clean?

Valid question for skis which have only ever been used in the chill factor!

@awdbugga, honestly I am not being funny but I remember that this is your first ski trip and you just seem to be fretting about everything. Seeing that most people on their first ski trip don't even take skis - they just get whatever planks they're given by the hire shop and generally don't think any less of it - I think honestly you could do your blood pressure a favour by stopping worrying about all the details of how you're going to wax your skis when you arrive in resort or what extra kit you need to buy... and just turn up and crack on! What will be will be and you'll be surrounded by hoards of experienced skiers so that if an actual problem does actually arise there will be a solution! If you have clothes, boots, skis and poles then you're more than fully equipped for a week in a ski resort.

I appreciate that it's good to be prepared and that's what you're going for - which is fine and the enthusiasm is commendable - but honestly most people turn up for their first weeks skiing with a variety of unsuitable equipment and some misconceptions, get given a set of skis which may or may not have been serviced since the collapse of the Soviet Union, and still go out and have a wonderful time. So if you're turning up with half the right kit and a bit of experience from the snowdome then you're already sailing well ahead of most ski trip virgins and you can honestly stop worrying Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. I’ll wax them before the trip and leave it at that. Just thought I’d check. Not long now. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy