Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Size Rossignol Experience 84 HD

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Can you help me out with choosing the of the Rossignol Experience 84 HD?
My length: 185cm / 6'1"
My Weight: 76kg / 167lbs
Age 44
Level: Intermediate / Advanced? I can ski parallel on all the groomed slopes of the resorts in Austria (Solden, Schladming) and France (Tignes, Val Thorens, La Plagne, Les Deux Alpes) that I visited, I do struggle at black moguls. I consider myself more of a beginner for of-piste skiing. I have around 20 weeks of experience but I only ski for 1 week a year.

I will spend most of the time on the groomers.
I do like sking fast when I am skiing with friends, but when I ski with my wife the pace will be be quite slow because she is a beginner.

According to the European Rossignol website I should have the 178, or even the 186. Rossignol advice is: length -5cm for intermediate, body length for advanced.
According to the US website should have the 170 because of the weight (seems too short).

I guess the 178 could be the right size for me, I just want to know if they will not be too short when I am skiing them at high speed?
For information: my current ski's are Atomic Metron M:EX in size 175 (84mm under foot). These ski's are quite stiff and must be skied quite aggressively to make them. I am fit but my shape is not as good as 10 years ago when I bought them Sad Given my age this will only get worse wink

Does anybody out here have experience with the Experience 84 HD?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Jeronimo1973
I've ski'ed the Meterons a few years ago, I liked them a lot. They were very heavy though.

I rented a pair of Experience 84 a few weeks ago and although I'd enjoyed them a couple of years ago, this time I was not impressed this time, perhaps it was because they were clapped out rentals.

So I used to like the Rossi 84, now I much prefer the Salomon XDR ti, blue and black things with bits of yellow.

I think you should really try before you buy, most ski shops in the resorts will let you test a range of models and sizes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In which size / width did you ski the Salomon?
Thanks for the advice for trying different skies at a shop. Do they charge a decent rental rate?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have just returned from les Arcs where 3 of us were skiing on the Rossignol Experience 84 HD from 2016/17 in 3 lengths 162, 170 and 178

I’m 47, weigh 73kg, 5’ 10”, and have the 170’s, i have crossed over from snowboarding and have been skiing the last three years, they are are easy to turn at all speeds, I initially found them hard to carve consistently but realised it was me putting too much pressure on the downhill ski while it was too flat, once I started to get the ski correctly up on edge they are an absolute blast and carve on rails

The chap with the 162’s is at least 7kg heavier, of similar height and has years of skiing experience, he also skied off piste in them during the week

The chap with the 178’s was probably again around 80kg and say 6 foot plus, he would have preferred the 170’s but they were out of stock, he has 4 years experience and also skied well, say to a solid intermediate level

You are only 3 kg heavier then me, I would say the 170 or 178, what advantage does a longer ski give on piste?, I can imagine more stability when carving at high speeds but realistically how many times during a weeks holiday are you going to be able to really let rip when surrounded by other skiers?

How does a ski know how tall you are?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This will be my 3rd season (6 weeks total) on my 2015/16 Experience 84's and although I have been tempted to upgrade to some stiffer beasts my stagnant fitness levels are keeping me on the same planks for another couple of outings at least . . .

I'm 46, 6'1" and 95kgs on 178's . . .unfit level 9 on the inside out scale, I love my 84's and to date they have been the perfect balance for my skiing - 'good' in all conditions, from ice to slush and groomed to powder. Bear in mind that I'm mainly short radius scharving turns down the fall line everywhere with the odd foray at bigger arcs / speed when the need hits me! With the rocker on these and my weight I think I could easily manage the 186's they are that easy to turn / flex . . .I've not been so lucky with the deeper powder since using them so feel that 178's (they feel a lot shorter when using IMHO) are a good compromise.

This seasons Experience is apparently stiffer than my variants (added Carbon layer) so probably better on piste to edge at speed etc . . .I reckon 178's for your height / ability will be fine . . .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Belch wrote:
This will be my 3rd season (6 weeks total) on my 2015/16 Experience 84's and although I have been tempted to upgrade to some stiffer beasts my stagnant fitness levels are keeping me on the same planks for another couple of outings at least . . .

I'm 46, 6'1" and 95kgs on 178's . . .unfit level 9 on the inside out scale, I love my 84's and to date they have been the perfect balance for my skiing - 'good' in all conditions, from ice to slush and groomed to powder. Bear in mind that I'm mainly short radius scharving turns down the fall line everywhere with the odd foray at bigger arcs / speed when the need hits me! With the rocker on these and my weight I think I could easily manage the 186's they are that easy to turn / flex . . .I've not been so lucky with the deeper powder since using them so feel that 178's (they feel a lot shorter when using IMHO) are a good compromise.

This seasons Experience is apparently stiffer than my variants (added Carbon layer) so probably better on piste to edge at speed etc . . .I reckon 178's for your height / ability will be fine . . .

Thanks, this pretty much confirms to me that the 178 will be the good size for me. According to the Inside out scale I am a level 7 or 8, given my age and the fact I no longer ski long days from lift opening till lift closure, my level won’t improve much more.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fish_Head wrote:
I have just returned from les Arcs where 3 of us were skiing on the Rossignol Experience 84 HD from 2016/17 in 3 lengths 162, 170 and 178

I’m 47, weigh 73kg, 5’ 10”, and have the 170’s, i have crossed over from snowboarding and have been skiing the last three years, they are are easy to turn at all speeds, I initially found them hard to carve consistently but realised it was me putting too much pressure on the downhill ski while it was too flat, once I started to get the ski correctly up on edge they are an absolute blast and carve on rails

The chap with the 162’s is at least 7kg heavier, of similar height and has years of skiing experience, he also skied off piste in them during the week

The chap with the 178’s was probably again around 80kg and say 6 foot plus, he would have preferred the 170’s but they were out of stock, he has 4 years experience and also skied well, say to a solid intermediate level

You are only 3 kg heavier then me, I would say the 170 or 178, what advantage does a longer ski give on piste?, I can imagine more stability when carving at high speeds but realistically how many times during a weeks holiday are you going to be able to really let rip when surrounded by other skiers?

How does a ski know how tall you are?

Thanks for sharing tour experience! I want ro respond to some of tour last comments: You are right about the addition stability a longer ski provide at high speed, adding length will make them less quick to turn. The skies do not know how tall you are but your center of gravity moves away from your ski’s when you are taller so a taller person has more leverage.

When I want to rip I go out early in the morning and go up to the slopes at higher altitude. Then you normally have plenty of space to go as fast as you dare without getting close to other skiers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jeronimo1973,

LOL . . .middle age bites . . .I still try to catch the first lifts however if I have a late lunch with a beer its generally game over for the day. . . . . still think the Rossies will give you enough confidence to improve your technique . . .like all sports, fitness and strength can be the main reason why some people plateau ( . . .cough) Beer tastes nicer than the gym I'm afraid . . .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think 178 looks right to me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="Jeronimo1973"]
Fish_Head wrote:
The skies do not know how tall you are but your center of gravity moves away from your ski’s when you are taller so a taller person has more leverage.

When I want to rip I go out early in the morning and go up to the slopes at higher altitude. Then you normally have plenty of space to go as fast as you dare without getting close to other skiers.

could understand how weight effects the ski but never convinced how a taller person of the same weight would make a difference in required ski length, your explanation makes sense, I’m genuinely interested in whether ski length is as important if you are not carving or off piste

As much as I love skiing I do find it rare to have a combination of the right slope and lack of people to let rip and crank the skis over, early starts it is Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn,

what do you like about the XDR's???

I am on the point of maybe buying a pair...

cant seem to find them in hire shops...

its prob the sort of ski that would suit me the rest of my days!!.... cant see me being a downhill racer or back country monster now!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GlensheeFerg, Quite a few reviews of the XDR's on-line. 3 widths available.... 80,84 & 88mm. A softer none Ti 79mm version is available and above 88mm gets you into the QST range. (starting at 92mm)

I've no affiliation with them but it looks like Sail & Ski in Chester may be getting some 84's in 172mm length back in stock.

I've just ordered some 84's and hopefully they'll turn up in time for our next trip to Tignes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GeorgeVII,

yes I have seen the reviews online... in fact I have lost count of how many hours I have been looking

The look on Mrs Ferg face.... told me I have spent too long!!

have been looking at slidecandy hire in meribel... they just seem to have X drive ...

I really do fancy the XDR's.... Not that it will make me any better a ski - er!!! .... rolling eyes rolling eyes Its just that all in the mind thing!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GlensheeFerg wrote:
@DrLawn,

what do you like about the XDR's???

Its hard to put my finger on it ... I was having a great time and really loving the the "Head Magnums", I think they are a fabulous ski for the usual hard pistes with icy patches, which is what I normally ski in.
But I'd skied on them for 4 days and I'm a bit of a "Tart" and fancied a change as the snow was really dumping and there was a chance to enjoy the deeper snow.
So the last day I went back to the rental shop and asked for a change to something to take advantage of the new snow conditions.
They offered me the Salomon XDRs in the 80 width, all brand spanking new, I took the 176cm.
I just liked them, the conditions were just perfect for me to have a good time in the snow at the side of the piste where I could not see what was really going on under the snow.
(I'm normally rubbish in deep unpisted snow)
They are very light to carry as well, which makes them a great "apres ski Ski".
They would have had 5 stars if the sun had been shining, but they aint that good.

I must admit I didnt do a lot of miles on them, they handled the piste well that day.

If I had to buy a pair of skis though (Just 1 pair) ... I'd go for the Magnums.

I weigh 90Kg, 68 years young and have been skiing for forty years, I have peaked and I'm steadily un-improving
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have peaked and I'm steadily un-improving

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Hi @GeorgeVII,

I rented my good skis skis from The shop in Tignes le Lac closest to the Palafour lift.
it was about 120€ for 5 days, although they didnt understand the "Snowhead" discount card they gave me a 10% seasonaire discount for being a nice chap Very Happy

As Snowheads we managed to get a discount down to €50 for 6 days boots & Skis from Precisionski Tignes Le Lac. But the ski's had seen too much action for me already.
ski holidays
Hi @GlensheeFerg,
Be carefull of what you read in Ski Reviews ....
I just realised I wrote the one on the 84 for Ellis Brigham Embarassed
ski holidays
@DrLawn,

Thank you for your advice

us younger lads need to heed advice from chaps with 40 years on the good stuff under their belts..

Wait till I tell Mrs Ferg am of to review the "Magnums" wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy