Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking to complete my quiver with some piste dedicated skis - I like the idea of having 'GS' skis but have no idea what to look for.

I'm 6'4", advanced skier and enjoys carving when on piste. Had some K2 amp chargers previously that were good fun but want something to take me to the next level of speed and manoeuvrability...

Any advice appreciated,

Tim
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try some Head iTitans if you like carving or some iRallys for something a bit more versatile.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have some Dynastar WC GS 175cm (R18) which are absolutely fab.
It's a cheater ski, so not handicapped by a stupidly restrictive sidecut, but utilises the same technology & construction as their race model. I have a 2016 model, this is the current model:

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/giant-slalom/test-ski-2018-dynastar-speed-wc-master/535

Available radii are: 170 (R16), 175 (R18), 180 (R21) and 185 (R23).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My suggestion: http://www.skiessentials.com/2018-ski-test?skis=volkl-code-l
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I'd prefer slalom over GS but people go mad for the Rossignol Hero ski, a sort of gentle race ski for masters racing that seems to be universally loved

https://www.rossignol.com/int-pl/rossignol-hero-master-r21-wc-skis-alpine-2017-2018.html

Test a bunch first, don't take advise over the internet too seriously!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tjpritchard wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to complete my quiver with some piste dedicated skis - I like the idea of having 'GS' skis but have no idea what to look for.

I'm 6'4", advanced skier and enjoys carving when on piste. Had some K2 amp chargers previously that were good fun but want something to take me to the next level of speed and manoeuvrability...

Any advice appreciated,

Tim

Rossignol Heros or Masters spec GS, Im the same heigh as you and weigh 95kg with kit on and I enjoyed cheater GS skis a lot, I've also skied ones with a full metal race plate and its a bit much when the pistes bump up. I should say you should also look at Kastle MX88's as they are so dam close in feel to a GS ski but with a touch more versatility. I traded out my GS skis after buying some MX88's.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@moseyp, the Rossi Hero Master is identical to the Dynastar Master that I suggested above (Rossignol owns Dynastar). It really is great (either version), but the Dynastar Master can often be found for less £££ than the Rossi. Very Happy
People aren't going mad for them for nothing. Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowglider wrote:
I have some Dynastar WC GS 175cm (R18) which are absolutely fab.
It's a cheater ski, so not handicapped by a stupidly restrictive sidecut, but utilises the same technology & construction as their race model. I have a 2016 model, this is the current model:

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/giant-slalom/test-ski-2018-dynastar-speed-wc-master/535

Available radii are: 170 (R16), 175 (R18), 180 (R21) and 185 (R23).

Why would the side cut be restrictive? It's easier to release some of the edge of a short radius ski for longer turns than it is to get a long radius ski to turn sharper. Personally I wouldn't touch anything more than a 14m radius ski for piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tangowaggon, he meant that the full FIS GS radius is restrictive as it's too long at circa 30m IIRC. The cheater GS race skis have the same construction but a shorter radius.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spyderjon, ah! Thanks, that makes sense.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, that's exactly what I meant - thanks for clarifying it bud.
When I said "restrictive" I meant that, at cca 30m, the latest FIS GS rules severely restrict the rate at which a ski turns (basically radius).
Didn't put it as eloquently and as clearly as you have! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you everyone for your advice! That gives me plenty to chose from - expect a wanted post on the buy and sell page shortly! Really want to get some before my next trip but can't afford to buy them brand new at the moment.

I guess the cheater GS was probably what I was after originally but after looking at all the suggestions above I'm realising that there are a fair few good options so I'm not restricted to one ski especially when looking for second hand.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Salomon X-Race SW is another option https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/salomon-x-race-sw---z12-speed/136067897/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=3112879&country=uk&gclid=CjwKCAiAhMLSBRBJEiwAlFrsTtAgXGqlhFoU_IOYHOPU9XR80Bqea3xFuz76XgaW4MtA4r-gIAs57BoCXlYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds - I just picked up a pair with bindings for €350 to replace my somewhat venerable Streetracer 10's - virtually identical in almost all respects, but feels livelier. It's a heavy ski but unparalleled in ice IMO. (does that mean you can only snowplough in ice ? Wink )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy