Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots - size tight or loose?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I always thought that I was M25, but always also had a mild "boot feels bit loose" (and thus over cranking buckles) issue.
Went last year to "reputable" boot fitter and was put in M24.5 - which are very snug, to the point of tingling nerves (usually they seem to warm and ease up a bit, if not easy to ski in for first several runs and definitely are compressing various things).
Went to another "reputable" fitter recently and told I needed M25. Tried on M25 and M24.5; former (in shop) very "comfy", latter definitely tight (toes not quite on end but a bit of big toe curling and putting a bit of cramp in the inner arch, which I get with current M24.5 boots too, with custom insoles. Don't quite get toes banging on front though.).
Standing on the measuring plate I'm dead on 25: until I flex ankles, then 24.5; tightening arch also makes me 24.5.
So, different opinions from 2 fitters - and one shell size seems to make a lot of difference. Question is whether to go for feeling comfy if minorly roomy (thick socks?) when new and hope they don't pack down, or go tight and slightly short and hope that they'll bed in or else put up with some tightness and discomfort.
Opinions?
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
my thoughts:

1. The liners will pack down so buy the smaller shell
2. Try different brands as the actual shell size may vary for any given mondo size
3. Buy one of each and change them over at half time
4. Ignore (3) above
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In no particular order:

- If you already have footbeds then measure your foot when standing on the footbed to get its supported length/width.

- There's no such thing as a half size in ski boots.

- Different makes/model size differently so you could very well be a 24 in one make/model & a 25 in another.

- It's all about the 'shell gap' for length and then matching the overall shape/volume to suit your foot shape along with your personal tolerance for closeness of fit.

- And the bigger the fit the faster the liners will pack down (which is counter intuitive) as your foot will move around more compressing the liner.

- You can always make a boot bigger but in general you can't make it smaller.

- Do whatever Colin tells you to do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also with new boots it's worth getting a very thin pair of socks, after a couple of days you will be able to go back to your standard socks when the liners have packed out a bit
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find that in new boots you get a little pressure or tingling nerves, I slacken the buckles while on the lift to give my feet a bit of a rest. After a while I don’t need to do this any more as liners heat and fit foot well. As on the rocks said thin socks also worked for me.

I would persevere with the smaller size trying the above if you are not in proper pain, as you will get a better fitting boot in the long run.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went through this last Xmas - I agonised over two pairs of hawx for ages (had bought them both so I could take my time, then return the 'loser'). The smaller size felt barely big enough, with toes only just clearing the end when flexed, and only about 10mm on the shell check. I have very claustrophobic feet, so it was a bit of a leap of faith, but they had great heel hold, so decided to commit, and post thermo-fitting the liners they were fine. If the boots are comfy in the shop, I would say they're definitely too big.

Word of caution over the tingling though - I was getting a numb big toe after the first few days in them and this ended up lasting 3 months - I hadn't had the shells thermo-fitted to see how I got on without, a mistake in hind-sight. So if you do go with the smaller size I would get any pressure points sorted out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had my Salomon xpro 100s fitted at EB Castleford with full shell in the oven and custom insole treatment. At fist I thought the boots were too small and tight but after a few days of use they got better and are now the best boots I ever had.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all - generally confirms my thoughts that I should err on the smaller shell size. With hindsight, not entirely sure that the staff member at the more recent shop really knew what they were advising about...
Tried my 'tight' boots on last night at home and they felt not too bad, with thin technical socks on. Think that I just need to ski more snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy