Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets compulsory ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just heard that Michigan (USA) is considering making the wearing of helmets compulsory following a fatal accident in December.

they are considering to making it against the law to ski without a helmet.

I think this a good thing, but am somewhat intrigued that if it is passed you could ride to the resort on your motorbike without a helmet, only to have to put one on to ski !! snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh god.......................... rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, What do you reckon 10 pages by Thursday? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

they are considering to making it against the law to ski without a helmet

I bet that would make a few skiers take up boarding Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, Feel like Nigel Benn on the ropes against Eubank on this subject but I'm not down yet. To help it on its way... Confused Laughing

Yes helmets should be compulsory. End of
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Yes helmets should be compulsory. End of

Wouldn't be bothered if it was in Michigan, but not in France please Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, wink Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will take up knitting if helmets are made compulsory, I just hope other states do not follow suit
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slingman wrote:
I will take up knitting if helmets are made compulsory,

Based on last season's 'little adventure' that might be a good thing Wink

How's the shoulder these days?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wouldn't it just be easier to post link to the dozen or so threads on this subject so far Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slingman,
Quote:

I will take up knitting if helmets are made compulsory

We have a snowHead who lists one of his hobbies as basket weaving, so maybe he could lead us in a course of basket weaving a helmet Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If the USA can do sub-prime mortgages I can they could be equally innovative with making a motorcyclist store the helmet away while driving and wear it when skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NehNeh
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
slingman wrote:
I will take up knitting if helmets are made compulsory,

Based on last season's 'little adventure' that might be a good thing Wink

How's the shoulder these days?

Its doing OK so far, the odd ache and twinge just to remind me, skied last week for the first time since the "event" and all was good. Very Happy

Megamum wrote:
Wouldn't it just be easier to post link to the dozen or so threads on this subject so far Laughing

But what would most of us have to p*ss and moan about

boredsurfin I fancy a nice rattan helmet

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5894
latest report
I don't understand the anti helmet feeling from some people on here. I doubt you'd ride a bike without a helmet so, if it became compulsory, I'm sure you wouldn't ski without one.
snow conditions
Georgio wrote:
I don't understand the anti helmet feeling from some people on here. I doubt you'd ride a bike without a helmet so, if it became compulsory, I'm sure you wouldn't ski without one.

My dear chap I have a bicycle helmet - but I don't always wear one, but often do. I have a skiing helmet. I wore it last week - who knows in the future. So I am not anti helmet. I trust you are not anti no-helmet as well. There. Peace. Harmony. Move along now. Nothing to see. Cool
ski holidays
In Niederau last week - an instructor who was a regular helmet wearer, fell on piste skiing without his helmet and ended up in a coma. Witnesses all agreed - if he had been wearing it he would probably have been OK. it has convinced us of much less ability - that we will be proud helmet owners for our next trip.
When we left we heard that he was out of coma and improving though still poorly.
snow report
parallel lines, sorry to hear about the instructor. How qualified were the witnesses to form their opinion?
snow report
Just realised that if my kids heads need protecting so do mine - got to thinking that it was not as much about my ability (or lack of it which is probably more accurate) - but because of the higher numbers of people skiing and the majority of them skiing faster.
ski holidays
Georgio wrote:

Yes I do and I may. I want to be able to make a choice, I don't want to be told what I should be doing, wearing sunglasses should be made compulsory for skiing because we are damaging our eyesight if we do not wear them.
ski holidays
achilles - witnesses I spoke to were two guys staying in our Hotel who stayed with casualty until helicoptor arrived.

I can not say how qualified they were, but both were very good skiers, one skiing for over 20 years and the other a member of the Police Force.

Apparently the skier went over backwards and after hitting his head was unconcious and therefor not in a position to protect himself as he carried on down the slope quote
"like a rag-doll"
ski holidays
Georgio,

I believe for many years in the past motorcyclists did not wear helmets and so were the skiers in early days, whereas when they competed for speed the helmets became a necessity.

This may not be a bad thing because people would have to slow down in order to be safe if they have no helmets, or simply they have to be more careful. If that is the case we would be skiing in a slightly safer world where everybody is prepared to be careful.

Making people wearing helmet but not stopping them from going fast is silly.

I just don't think a beginner skier on a nursery slope can do a speed necessitating the wearing of a helmet. If he is knocked down and suffer head injury then it is possible there is someone who thinks he/she can ski faster and safer with a helmet but actual isn't

Nobody is against wearing helmet or body armour. It is a free world so let let everybody do what he/she likes.

If you wear a helmet for skiing that helmet would not be as strong or have a high crashworthiness than one used by motorcyclists, so would you use their ones just on the safer side?
ski holidays
Helmets are not only for speed reasons. Sheesh, how many times do I need to say that?
A helmet will provide your head with protection when you fall on ice. You might be standing still at the time. It will protect your head when someone swings their ski pole around without looking. It will protect you when you get on the lift, and someone suddenly pulls the bar down before you are even seated. It will protect your head from cuts and grazes caused by skiing near tree branches.

None of those are directly related to speed.
ski holidays
parallel lines, interesting. Dr Langran concludes that helmets will not protect you if you have a high speed impact - so I am unclear how likely it would be that a helmet would save you from a coma - though I guess it is just possible. OTOH I have seen a friend fall head first on his back down a black slope mogul field for about 800 feet - and it was the major factor in me buying one. I think it could prevent some discomfort and make such a fall slightly less stressful. I was also glad of it when skiing through the trees at La Grave - but again I did not think it would save me from major injury.
latest report
Seen plenty of good skiiers hit by bad ones
snow report
I think I'll just stand on the sidelines and watch this time till I go to sleep.
But I liked the way saikeewas stamping on achilles's head about 9 posts back.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
........ It will protect you when you get on the lift, and someone suddenly pulls the bar down before you are even seated. .....

That has only happened to me when wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Yes you are right. I have a "full face" helmet to Briitish BS 6658 Class A standard that will just do the job. It is the same one worn by the policemen. Would you like to wear it instead of the flimsy one just for skiing?

If that would be overdoing it then wearing one could be seen just as the same by those who choose not to wear one.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 5-02-08 22:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
saikee, nope. I just want one that is light and provides me with more protection than a hat (or nothing), while also being comfortable and practical. If I was going for speed, I'd probably want something a bit more substantial.
snow conditions
The whole idea of a free-sport like skiing is that there are no rules and you are free to take risks/do as you please; that's what I like about it. Same for mountain biking/power-kiting/sailing. I don't want to be told what do. Sad
latest report
Fergus wrote:
The whole idea of a free-sport like skiing is that there are no rules and you are free to take risks/do as you please; that's what I like about it. Same for mountain biking/power-kiting/sailing. I don't want to be told what do. Sad

You don't. Just go back country. There's no one there. So no one to "tell you" what to do or not to do.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
slingman,
Quote:

I will take up knitting if helmets are made compulsory

We have a snowHead who lists one of his hobbies as basket weaving, so maybe he could lead us in a course of basket weaving a helmet Very Happy

Just wait till goggles are made mandatory when weaving! Shocked

Georgio wrote:

I don't understand why you don't understand! Very Happy

Only childrends need to be told what to do. Adults are allowed to make their own decisions. But the state is treating ALL adults as children and acting like over-protective parents. Something the communist tried in some country but has proved to be a total failure.

A question of curiosity, does any skiing insurance provide discount if you wear a helmet?
snow conditions
I am no expert whatsoever - but on the info available we have decided to wear them.

I guess that is the crux of the debate - it is our choice - I think most people who ski should be intelligent enough to form their own opinions and make their own descisions.

There again how many would choose to wear seatbelts ...or not use mobile phones in cars if it was not unlawful. (Apart from us sensible skiers who would never even contemplate such actions.) Sometimes rules are made for our own good... Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Sometimes rules are made for our own good...

No, rules are made for "their" own good...

The ones making the rules, hopefully, are already doing so by choice. But "they" see to it that's not enough. It need to be made mandatory... for the good of the "un-enlightened".

Talking on mobile while driving is similar to drunk driving, it affects "others" on the road. It should not be view the same as helmets (and seatbelts). Instead of dealing with recklessly speeding skiers, they just make everyone wear a helmet. It's like allowing drunk driving but make seatbelt compulsary.
latest report
Quote:
Sometimes rules are made for our own good...

parallel lines,

You obviously do not pay income tax.
latest report
work for IR and C....so feel compelled to out of a sense of duty....
ski holidays
parallel lines wrote:
work for IR and C....so feel compelled to out of a sense of duty....

Nice one! Laughing
snow conditions
achilles,
Quote:

Dr Langran concludes that helmets will not protect you if you have a high speed impact

Interesting that the article cited comes up including an google advert for "Brain Injury Lawyers". Is that their specialty or their medical condition? Toofy Grin
snow report
abc wrote:
The ones making the rules, hopefully, are already doing so by choice. But "they" see to it that's not enough. It need to be made mandatory... for the good of the "un-enlightened".

Isn't it rather to do with the increasing tendency to litigiousness, following the example of the US? If people are in the habit of suing when they fall and hurt themselves, then you ban or somehow make safer the 'dangerous' activity, to avoid the threat of lawsuits. I reckon a drastic cull of personal injury lawyers is needed, to stop the slide...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy