Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute Scotland trip, which hotel location?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning on driving up early hours tomorrow, be around Stirling for 8am to decide on West or East (probably East as the Lecht seems the most reliable, albeit a back up in case nowhere else is open). Have a day (1/2 day) riding something before hitting a hotel for the night. Pretty full day Sunday before driving back to arrive home early hours new years day.

Question is, where to get the hotel for Saturday night? Drive back to Perth/Stirling or on to Aviemore and gamble East is best for Sunday?

If Glenshee opens on Sunday we'll almost definitely hit it as it will shave an hour or two off the journey home at the end of the day (and it's the centre I've never visited in Scotland)!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cover is not brilliant right now - keep checking the cams.

If, as I understand you, the plan is one day at Lecht and next day Glenshee, then somewhere in Braemar best bet.

However, as I said above, keep an eye on the webcams as there is more snow in Edinburgh right now than Glenshee !!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glenshee is a longshot, but they claim to be making snow and if they could open something it would help us logistically.

We've got till this evening to cancel the whole idea or book a hotel. The Lecht's open today so pretty sure we'd get some riding in however we are more gambling on the snow forecast on Saturday to open one of the bigger hills on Sunday. If we spent around £200 on a day at the Lecht I'll feel a bit hard done!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are 250-300 miles from the Scottish ski areas. I'm not entertaining a potentially wasted trip this weekend due to the forecast of wind speeds of 40mph at altitude.

From experience, 30mph winds are not much fun to be out in but are just about skiable. Any more than that can be sheer misery, if not dangerous - not to mention result in closed lifts/stormbound ski areas... Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing will be open on the west by the look of things. If Glenshee manage to open anything it will be poor. Means you are stuck with Aviemore or the Lecht. Neither look attractive enough for me to drive from Glasgow. Probably best heading to the Lecht, but doubt there is enough to entertain for more than a day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@manicpb, Have you checked any of the resorts webcams as I don't think anywhere has much snow including the Lecht which is open but doesn't need much snow to open, all the rest need a lot more snow so unless there is an unexpected heavy snow fall overnight they won't be open for skiing over the weekend. Cairngorm has patches that they are managing to give lessons on but that is all.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've pulled the plug!

Been watching webcams and forecasts all day, as far as I can see they are set to have whiteout conditions for the next couple of days (main source MWIS) and winds will come and go all weekend.

I can see Sunday being pretty good...in a way I hope I'm wrong now. 😒
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^^^^Always the way manicpb - the aspect of Scottish skiing that really pees me off when we live so far away! If you go it will be stormbound; if you don't it will be open with good conditions.

We've previously turned back en route (after driving an hour) when the forecast changed for the worse - only to then find the webcams showing fantastic conditions and the forecast wind not materialising...

C'est last vie... rolling eyes

Still hoping to get up there next weekend (6/7 Jan) or the weekend after.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scotspikey wrote:
Neither look attractive enough for me to drive from Glasgow.

flippin' weegie lightweight Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
manicpb wrote:
We've pulled the plug!

Been watching webcams and forecasts all day, as far as I can see they are set to have whiteout conditions for the next couple of days (main source MWIS) and winds will come and go all weekend.

I can see Sunday being pretty good...in a way I hope I'm wrong now. 😒

Can't say how often this has been the case for me!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
^^^^Always the way manicpb - the aspect of Scottish skiing that really pees me off when we live so far away! If you go it will be stormbound; if you don't it will be open with good conditions.

Indeed the Lecht have done amazing with what they have to work with and they have blue skys and no wind...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1938324589540928&id=232608636779207

... although I'm well aware by lunch time it'll look a fair bit muddier!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy