Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resort in Europe for beginner couple

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forums, been reading around trying to figure out which is the options for me and my wife (both 30)
to try skiing, if someone could give their advice on a ski resort, here's what we are looking for:

- time of traveling : mid-March
- European ski resort
- best place to start as a beginner: we want to take a private teacher, good/easy routes/slopes, calm (not a lot of people),
the resort is close to the starting point.
- beautiful resort/city/village
- good restaurants/music/shopping

I know it's asking a lot but if someone can recommend from their own experience I'd be grateful.

Thank you! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@reivel, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Well I'm sure you'll get several suggestions, but my first ski trip was to the beautiful Austrian village of Alpbach. It has actually been voted the prettiest village in Austria ( by the Austrians themselves). The nursery slope is right in the middle of the village near to the Church, all the other skiing is on the nearby Wiedersbergerhorn mountain which is a short free skibus ride from the village. Several UK tour operators go to Alpbach. In recent years the skiing on the Wiedersbergerhorn has been linked by a lift connection to the adjacent Wildschönau valley to form the ski juwel (ski jewel) area.

Alternatively, the Austrian resort of Westendorf is also pretty and well suited for beginners.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If beautiful is your aim then you need to be looking at Austria or maybe the Dolomites in Italy IMO.

Zell am See is a particularly stunning lakeside resort.

Kitzbuhel is a gorgeous medieval town.

Alpbach is chocolate box pretty.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 28-12-17 12:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beautiful? Come to Wengen.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree with Alpbach except for one proviso - there's virtually no shopping or restaurants to choose from and apart from the Post Alm virtually all the apres is hotel based. Pretty village though and the ski school is good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megeve, if you fancy France. But lots of these attractive historic towns are not right on top of reliably snowy slopes. You might need to trade off a bit between close proximity to reliable snow - and your lessons - and staying right in a historical proper town.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You have a little of a different slant to when I first went skiing, so I know this doesn't strictly answer your post directly, but in terms of "pretty" agree with all of the above.

When I first started my opinion was I didn't know if I would enjoy it, be any good etc so I looked for somewhere cheaper, but with good lessons so ended in Bulgaria on a last minute holiday. I am not sure I would recommend that as its not snow sure but somewhere that may be good is Andorra. Its surprisingly snow sure and fairly cheap. Somewhere like Arinsal works well and is a ski back resort and it is pretty enough (although wouldnt compete with the Austrian resorts) but they do very good lessons. Also half the price of the Austrian resorts all in!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
seekstris wrote:
You have a little of a different slant to when I first went skiing, so I know this doesn't strictly answer your post directly, but in terms of "pretty" agree with all of the above.

When I first started my opinion was I didn't know if I would enjoy it, be any good etc so I looked for somewhere cheaper, but with good lessons so ended in Bulgaria on a last minute holiday. I am not sure I would recommend that as its not snow sure but somewhere that may be good is Andorra. Its surprisingly snow sure and fairly cheap. Somewhere like Arinsal works well and is a ski back resort and it is pretty enough (although wouldnt compete with the Austrian resorts) but they do very good lessons. Also half the price of the Austrian resorts all in!

Arinsal is definitely well suited to beginners. English instructors too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Several good options above. Saas Fee is another.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@reivel, one recommendation I have is for you both to do some dry ski slope lessons in the UK before you go. It will mean you will see more of the mountains when you are out there. Though also bear in mind that it will feel easier on real snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Head high.

European snow starts to melt in March.

Try Courchevel 1850 in France or Lech / Oberlech in Austria.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would also concur on Arinsal. Big main green to learn on and when you get more confident you can head over to Par on the cable car. It's cheap and I would book into the Pablo Apartments. Which is close to the gondola at the bottom this is also cheap with a lively apres scene. The rooms on the middle floors are quite big compared to France
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@reivel, do you have a particular week in mid March in mind? Reason I ask is that late bookings are often the best way to find the right place for your needs. But availability depends on which week you're planning, or committed to go. Also how would you be travelling to the mountains and roughly from where?

Your preference for a 'beautiful resort/city/village' narrows the field down a lot in March. Especially when considering high snowsure areas. Not all by any means, but a lot, could be described as functional or even ugly. But the surrounding mountains are usually beautiful of course.

Snow might be unreliable in some places in March. One thing you can count on is that you'll get some great advice from snowHeads. Another thing in your favour is that the start to the 2017/18 season has seen the best snowfalls for at least a decade in many parts of the Alps. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ysb33r, @FrequentFaller, I disagree with Arinsal if looking for a 'beautiful resort/city/village' as the OP states.
No disrespect and I declare a soft spot for Arinsal, as it was the first place I skied abroad. But only it's mother would describe as beautiful, surely? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PeakyB wrote:
@ysb33r, @FrequentFaller, I disagree with Arinsal if looking for a 'beautiful resort/city/village' as the OP states.
No disrespect and I declare a soft spot for Arinsal, as it was the first place I skied abroad. But only it's mother would describe as beautiful, surely? Very Happy

@PeakyB Very Happy I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Interestingly Arinsal tends to look much better from up higher (after a "little" stroll), than at the main street level. I do actually find the beauty of the mountains around Arinsal resort far better than of Pal. Not as stunning as Arcalis though.

P.S. The problem I do find with Arinsal though is the hordes of dog owners from Spain who think it is fine for their dogs just to poo-poo in the snow and then not clean up after them. It is really a mess during the Spanish holiday periods.
snow report
@ysb33r, fair play, your pics certainly make it look much better than I remember it all those years ago. Is it relatively easy to link from Arinsal to bigger areas of Andorra now? I found after 3 days in Arinsal I moved to more challenges in Pal & Arcalis. It involved bus rides then.
What about snow in mid March - reliable for advance bookings? Very Happy
snow report
There is a pal arinsal link now although it will be closed in high winds.

For a beginner those two areas will be enough although if they are advancing well arcalis is worth the bus trip on at least one day.

I've not been in March but I've heard the skiing is still good. Not as snow sure as some of the alps but surprisingly so for its latitude
snow conditions
@PeakyB,
Yep I agree that Arinsal is not that pretty and having re-read the OP it hardly fits the requirements at all. Although having said that, it is a great place to learn which is maybe the most important bit for you first trip.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@ysb33r, fair play, your pics certainly make it look much better than I remember it all those years ago. Is it relatively easy to link from Arinsal to bigger areas of Andorra now? I found after 3 days in Arinsal I moved to more challenges in Pal & Arcalis. It involved bus rides then.
What about snow in mid March - reliable for advance bookings? Very Happy

As @seektris said, Arinsal & Pal is linked. For Arcalis you still need to take the bus (free with you ski pass).

The whole Grandvalira (Pas de la Casa - Encamp) has its own ski pass, but in all probability will no longer be after 2018 season ends. You can still get to those areas by two buses from Arinsal, but most people who come for a week, will choose Vallnord or Grandvalira. (Unless you come by car, which provides a lot of freedom).

seekstris wrote:
There is a pal arinsal link now although it will be closed in high winds.

Yes, and that has been a problem for a couple of days in December. If the lift up to Pic Negre is closed you cannot get to the gondola that links the two resorts. Then you are better off
snow conditions
@seekstris, The do have their skiing festival in March so they must think that time is fairly reliable for snow.
ski holidays
Surprised nobody mentioned Les Gets/Morzine, especially if you are British. Easy beginners slopes right back to the villages and short transfer time. Not my favourite as I'm fed up with the French. If given a free choice I'd side with those who went for the Dolomites and recommend Alta Badia or Corvara. Certainly some of the best scenery anywhere in the Alps and much better food on the mountain for romantic lunches. Assuming you have no kids (AKA Self-inflicted Wounds (I have three!)) and want to party in the evenings then Mayerhofen (Austria) and perhaps Zermatt in Switzerland might be good bets. If you opt for Zermatt take twice the money and half the clothes or be prepared to sell Mrs Reivel to pay the bills.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 3-01-18 8:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@panaga52, I think Les Gets is a good suggestion. Likewise Megeve suggested by@pam w. Both can be a little unreliable for snow conditions as March progresses but often fine.
The timing of their trip is key really, so more info on that from OP would help, if still wanting advice of course.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy