Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skins vs snow: Do I need new skins?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're new to touring, and bought used kits at the end of last season.
The skins and glue seem(ed) in good condition, but twice this week I ended up with a ton of snow between the skin and ski.
Images and video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WasZInopGvAvTPEb2
Both times it was in deep snow, after about an hour of skinning. First time was both skis, today just one.

Does this indicate that there's definitely a problem?
Or could it just be user error (bad application) or normal problems for not-brand-new gear?

Just trying to figure out if I definitely need to replace/re-glue?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First thing I would try is 'refresh' the glue. This is done on a flat heat tolerant surface (floor) . Put skins glue side up on flat surface, cover with baking paper, warm with iron. You are trying to get the glue warm enough to become soft and return to a homogeneous state, not runny and messy.

This procedure is recommended by many skin manufacturers and has worked for me on many skins.

Another tip is 'try' and ensure the ski is dry before applying the skins.

If you are going for more than one climb, put skins inside your jacket during the intervening descent to keep the glue warm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I take it you are drying the skins after every tour?
When storing the skins do you have cheat sheets? https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/black-diamond-cheat-sheet?currency=EUR
When putting on the skins I take it you make sure the skin is in contact with the ski base all over without any air pockets or creases. i.e. attaching one end and applying pressure from one end to the other in small sections rather than just attaching tip and tail before applying pressure.

http://youtube.com/v/yfMkIf0InuQ
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes to all of the above except for the cheat sheet. We don't use those.
And we don't check *super* carefully for any and all air pockets, but apply the skins smoothly and pretty carefully.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sometimes snow will melt on the base of a warm ski and then ice up once the ski cools.
Best to not let the bases of your skis touch the snow before you put the skins on them.
Might explain why one iced up and the other didn't i.e. one ski put face down on the snow while you put the skin on the other.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 26-12-17 13:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lehons wrote:

Or could it just be user error (bad application) or normal problems for not-brand-new gear?

How many days? I generally get around 100 days out of a pair of skins before I need to do something with them, like reglue.

You should try putting the skins on in the warm (hut or home) not once you get to the snow.

If you have a tail clip then cut it off leaving around 6 inches of the bottom of the ski showing. You don't need tail clips and they are far more trouble than any supposed benefit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
You should try putting the skins on in the warm (hut or home) not once you get to the snow.

On my rock skis I'm applying the skins indoors and leaving them on the ski's until the next outing, so some time. Saves putting them on in the car park. I've not noticed any downside, but is it the 'done thing' ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
If you have a tail clip then cut it off leaving around 6 inches of the bottom of the ski showing. You don't need tail clips and they are far more trouble than any supposed benefit.

What's the downside / trouble of the tail clip?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lehons, lots of tips above, if your skins still play up after trying out the suggestions then get some new ones as messing about with duff skins can eat up a lot of your, and your chums time on a day out, and could leave you in the do do.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the tips.
I tried ironing them last night to smooth out and/or reactivate the glue. Will see what happens. Went out today and it was fine, but we were on groomed trails the whole time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
davidof wrote:

On my rock skis I'm applying the skins indoors and leaving them on the ski's until the next outing, so some time. Saves putting them on in the car park. I've not noticed any downside, but is it the 'done thing' ?

Don't think that's good for the glue either ....

https://www.genuineguidegear.com/life/video/climbing-skin-myth-putting-skins-home-vs-trailhead

http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourturns.com/vb/showthread.php?1943-How-early-do-you-put-your-skins-on
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lehons wrote:
Quote:

Info here.

http://www.earnyourturns.com/2185/climbing-skin-tips-n-tails/

Bad glue & no tail clips could have you flapping in the wind.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lehons wrote:
Quote:

Two things I see.

The tail clip is like the loop at the tip, it raises the skin up a bit letting snow in between the skin and ski. If you don't climb well, slipping back, catching your tails on stuff, this allows a small amount of movement to develop.

The clips always seem to be coming off... at least that is what I see with the skiers round here. That is a recipe for disaster.

You'll see very few expert ski tourers using them, go figure. It seems something that has come to Europe via the American ski manufacturers and is a throw back to when people attached seal skins to their skis to climb (that didn't work well either). It appeals to newbies.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof,

Re tail clip, I'm surprised.

The clips at the back of my skis have only come off a few times in the last 12 years. All my Austrian friends who have been touring for 30 years plus use tail clips. Used to be worse with older cheaper skins that didn't have an adjustable, fixable rat tail type fixing. When one does come off it's usually user error e.g. slight off balance moment where one ski hits the back of the other and flips off the clip. I've also had snow getting under the skin 3/4 of the way down the skin in warmer weather with wet snow which was enough hassle with a tail clip holding the skin in place at the end of the ski.

On one ski tour a friend lost the clip from the back of one skin. They were old skins and the glue probably wasn't up to much plus it was cold but the skin then started peeling off the ski with every step until we got the duct tape out.

Every ski shop, online Internet seller and touring skin producer (including various Austrian) that I'm aware of supplies skins with a tail fixing. Even your 2012 YouTube clip of skin glue renewal has skins with tail clips.

I suppose a lot depends on which skis & tail clips are being used (e.g. Flat tail, twin tip, rocker, notched tail etc) and on how good your glue is if you don't have tail clips.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy