Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva airport - reminder if huge security queues

Poster: A snowHead
Travelled back from Geneva on Wednesday evening. We only travel with hand baggage so normally get to the airport about an hour and a quarter before the flight. Hadn’t really thought that Wednesday evening would be particularly busy but on getting to security the queues were absolutely massive. So.......for the first time we put into practice our ‘emergency’ plan. Have mentioned it before on snowheads but a few years ago so maybe time for a reminder if anyone else is in a similar position.
Instead of going through Swiss security, head back downstairs to the French sector - where you would go if you are picking up a rental car from the French side. When you reach the car hire area go back on yourself, and pass the small baggage reclaim belt. Go through double doors and snake round a couple of glass corridors passing small customs desk down the escalator and you will find yourself at the French security check point!! Absolutely deserted - we passed through that and made our way straight to the gate which was boarding and we were straight on to the plane. Given that it was a full flight we were about the 20th people on board and I am guessing the majority of passengers were stuck in the security queue on the Swiss side as a lot of flustered people arrived on board in a hurry. So glad we had this short cut up our sleeve. Worked like a dream. If you don’t know the route it’s a bit like finding your way back to the French car rental sector for the first time - you should ideally do it when you’ve plenty of time to familiarise yourself with the route and then when you really need to use it in a hurry it will be familiar and simple. Really came into it’s own on Wednesday and may help anyone travelling over the busy periods coming up
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting. Can you check in entirely on the French side? Am picking up in Gva on Sunday. Might get there early and suss it out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Sounds really useful. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i use this a lot, but you need to be aware that its not always open. something to do with flights arriving for connecting flights, not really sure, but its probably only open 50% of the time. if your in a rush and its closed you've just added an extra 20 minutes to your wait at security.

edit...waits at security have been getting longer for the last couple of months. 30 mins isnt unusual now Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@eddiethebus, hmmm, dispute that and I fly about 1ce or 2ce a week now out of GVA...

We arrived 08:10 at easyjet bag drop which seemed heaving to me, thru security (which was hugely busy) and I was sneaking a cheeky prosecco (cos it’s an airport) in the lounge at 08:20 ....

I normally find security maybe 1-2 people in front of me?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
luck i guess. i flew once in november and again in december and both were havoc with people panicking, ducking under ropes nearly in tears :/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wish I had known this last year - I missed my flight because of the 1 1/2 hour queue through security. Thank you I will remember this for next time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We’ve paid 8chfs each to use the fast track expecting it to be chaos today
http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-478/
Any estimates on Easyjet bag drop queue at 15:00 today?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A few years ago we flew Easyjet to and from Geneva and rented a car from the French side, I seem to recall we were able to return the car, then check on to the flight and clear security without going into the main terminal, really quick through all of it.

In contrast, we flew out with Easyjet on 2 Jan this year and we nearly missed our flight. Fortunately our plane was delayed on the way to Geneva but I recall over an 1hr queue for bag drop and then a long queue for security. Easyjet weren't interested in offering any assistance to anyone or giving any information.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get an Easyjet Plus card and Fast Track security is free.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also beware the passport checks before the gates. I nearly missed my flight last week due to that queue.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bar shaker, Isn't the Easyjet Plus card about £200 a year?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At 15:00 Easyjet bag drop was 30 mins and security was only 15m. Assume it’ll get busier later....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mate of mine going through Geneva this evening says it's mayhem? We flew back the same pre Xmas Friday last year and had 1.5 hour queue for Easyjet(only half desks open) and then security queue back to the escalators. Had to cut through at the zig zags to make the flight, two crying daughters st my side helped!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At Geneva now, staff said security upstairs was really busy so after EasyJet desks, they showed us around the back of oversized baggage to an extra small security area and got straight through there. Been through Geneva loads of times and it's the first I've known about this option.
snow conditions
@snowhound, sounds horrific. All that stress with two crying kids! My family fly out on new year's eve in the afternoon. Shouldn't be a peak time - flights were cheapo - but am going to explore the French option tomorrow.
snow report
My friends report huge queues on arrival at Chambery today. 'Enhanced security checks'
latest report
Innsbruck at 06.30 this morning worked like clockwork and fast. Also the Austrian Airlines charter flight was the best service I’ve experienced for a European flight for over 20 years.
Good tip about Geneva. Have rented cars French side several times and found route through doors and corridors OK, especially if you have kids and pretend you’re in an episode of Dr Who snowHead
ski holidays
Ha! Yes it is like Dr Who. Or Alice through the Looking Glass.
snow report
@loatie, a real time thank you, am in an extremely busy Geneva airport enjoying a glass of wine after avoiding the 1-hour-plus security on the Swiss side! The French side took all of 1 minute!
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
Innsbruck at 06.30 this morning worked like clockwork and fast.

Doesn't sound like the Innsbruck I've used...which also has a secret second security - upstairs, all the way back along towards check-in (from memory - which isn't the greatest after a week in Ischgl!).
snow conditions
@gra, Brilliant - glad it worked out for you. Happy Christmas!!
snow conditions
Major benefit of hiring car from French side
snow report
Went through Geneva today. Arrived early to potentially swap to an earlier Easyjet flight but knocked that on the head when we saw the huge mass of humanity inside! Had a leisurely lunch and then got stuck in. Took 40 mins to check in and then another 40 mins to get through security (swiss side) and finally a 5 minute wait at passport control.
ski holidays
Have just ascertained you cannot check in for international flights in the French sector. But did park there - the Swiss side a scrum today but loads of spaces French side. Now sitting in the international baggage hall awaiting my arrivals. Security queues long on French side but this is no doubt an unusually busy day with French passengers going home for Christmas.
ski holidays
Why is it so bad at Geneva? Tis like nowhere else. If they were in the EU I bet it wouldn't be that bad.
snow report
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, too much space allocated to Toblerones Puzzled
ski holidays
@ElizabethLizzyLiz, you've never been to Stansted or Luton then?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or Chambery...
snow report
And another tip...

...a two pence coin works in the luggage trolley's if you arrive and are yet to break into your euro notes!!!
snow conditions
Am I right in assuming that if I am arriving from a French resort, I will be going through French security ??
latest report
@albob, no. French security only for domestic France flights.
ski holidays
Fly from Sion.
latest report
@under a new name, Thanks for the reply - will try to remember the info posted by loatie
snow report
“Why is it so bad at Geneva? ”

It’s not.
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
PeakyB wrote:
Innsbruck at 06.30 this morning worked like clockwork and fast.

Doesn't sound like the Innsbruck I've used...which also has a secret second security - upstairs, all the way back along towards check-in (from memory - which isn't the greatest after a week in Ischgl!).

Tried to fly into Innsbruck on Saturday 23, diverted to Friedrichshafen because Innsbruck was fog bound. Sorry, off thread.
snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for the short cut - we just did this as queue at Swiss side was mayhem. Almost went to French only gates by mistake but got sent the right way.

Advise doing a recce if you can Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm looking at carrentals.com, and I'm seeing options that say (a) GENEVE FERNEY VOLTAIRE - Cote Francais Airport
In Terminal, and (b) Geneve Ferney Voltaire - Ferney Voltaire In Terminal.

Is (a) French side and (b) Swiss side?
latest report
@NeddySkiGoon,
Quote:

Tried to fly into Innsbruck on Saturday 23, diverted to Friedrichshafen because Innsbruck was fog bound. Sorry, off thread.

Yes, bad luck on that one. We departed Innsbruck about 8am that day. Visibility was only maybe 100-150 metres.
ski holidays
@mr. mike, I think anything listed as Ferney-Voltaire is French side. If you keep scrolling down you should see more options - anything with Cointrin will be swiss side.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy