Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 experiences

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
@moseyp. Whilst I don't know the level of the OP I'd hazard a guess as a holiday skier he/she hasn't spent any time trying to perfect snow ploughs on a beginner slope, never mind getting their weighting correctly to smoothly demo a plough parallel turn at a slow speed.

Nope, not for about 25 years anyway...!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moseyp wrote:
There was no working on my technical skills or making changes to my skiing. I spent more time working on my demos and trying to get off my edges

Being able to modulate (reduce when necessary) edge angle is a massively important technical skill, whether its for a snowplough, or for controlling speed safely on 50º slopes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@offpisteskiing, I’m not arguing that, just answering the OP’s question. I’ve spent as much time being coached as I have freeskiing so being told to flatten my skis in a plough or skid my parallel turns more was not challenging, and there was a few of us in the same situation on my course(s). But I don’t know what level the OP is, so horses for courses....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
UkuleleDave wrote:
@DBSki, Did mine a couple of years ago with BASS in Morzine at the age of 44. Thoroughly enjoyed it and going back for L2 in March. I had about 16 weeks under my legs when I started, and had to work hard to get both the performance elements and the central theme bits right.

I was surprised at just how much hard work it was to be honest - I was half expecting it to be an exercise in taking your money to get you on the instructor path so you'd come back and spend more - absolutely not the case: Only five out of the ten of us passed - and iirc that was all on the performance side - everybody passed the teaching bit.

I love the focus and awareness it's given me when I'm out skiing for fun now. And on top of that I teach part time at our local dry slope now, so it gives me a few quid to go into the skiing fund - and much to my surprise, I've found I really enjoy teaching! Even teaching groups of 14 ten year olds!

Others have suggested doing it in a dome, but if you can afford to - why not spend time in the mountains. There's so much to learn and to see, and the variety of terrain has got to make things more interesting.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm also thinking it might be quite tricky to undo any bad habits, so not surprised to hear that people struggle with that - a bit like trying to fix a badly engrained golf swing!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was a long, long time ago*, but I really enjoyed my level 1 (snowboard) course and was most definitely challenged by it. I'd been a self-taught snowboarder for over 10 years, so I had some minging habits to un-learn - I was in the "good at being bad" category. And remained there for a long time! It was about 50/50 teaching / technical.

Doing some work next week for the trainer who ran my L1, which is a nice way to complete the circle!

*So long ago it wasn't called "Level 1" but "Trainee Instructor".
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moseyp wrote:
The point that I’m making is that if you have the option to enter BASI, then you will always have a lot of options going forward which makes things much easier. Someone could easily do their IASI L1 thinking they could convert over to BASI for the L2, or not realise that it’s not as big an organisation with as many courses, and then get stuck having to repeat the L1 with BASI to make the switch.

I wish I’d realised that before I did it

The IASI course list seems much more comprehensive these days. Maybe not quite so many courses as BASI but then a chunk of the courses are not in one of the most expensive places in Europe to ski.

The main downside to IASI over BASI is the lack of professional liability cover in their membership fee.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy