Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US Ski Areas Drought

Poster: A snowHead
From California to Utah Colorado, Idaho ... Exception Wyoming Jackson Hole

Nearly all Artificial & very limited
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And where's Whitegold when we need him? Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow now forecast over the next 9 days.

For the last 3 years, when going to EK, I looked with envy at Colorado. This year, I'm going to Colorado and EK has the best snow in years, while Colorado doesn't. Typical.

I'm going on 19th Jan, so still time for a decent storm (over 0.5m now forecast, so here's hoping.)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of snow over the Hill from Jackson Hole at Grand Targhee and looks like fresh snow every day through Christmas.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, I suggest you ski in the US every year Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey on the bright side I normally ski US West at xmas but this year doing italy 😊😊
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
essex wrote:
Hey on the bright side I normally ski US West at xmas but this year doing italy 😊😊

That doesn't help! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, would you kindly list your next five years ski destinations for us so we can all book the opposite Madeye-Smiley

Many thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All I can say is that on our recent trip to California there was a fair bit of rain down in the valleys, and the ski resorts around Lake Tahoe were all open just after Thanksgiving, with plenty of snow on the Donner Pass! It may have all gone by now though!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski3 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, would you kindly list your next five years ski destinations for us so we can all book the opposite Madeye-Smiley

Many thanks.

You're right.
I have a friend who says I'm a contra-indicator...it doesn't matter whether it's for snow, currency or commodities....whatever I do...do the opposite.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski3 wrote:

Many thanks.

You can try with me. Going to Vail at Christmas, last year I was in St Anton.

(But then again I probably got the best conditions of the season last March in La Grave, so...)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Utah; wasn't great - little open away from the trails but still had a good time, and the snow holding up well on the trails. Alta best of Deer Valley, Brighton, Snowbasin.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Luckily chose Lech rather than Co this year. Can hardly believe it. I must usually be on @oldfartbags plane. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sad. Was in slc on biz last week, didn't even bother to try and ski. I actually have some hotel booked for feb at the canyon using points that I'm thinking about cancelling becasuse of snow and obnoxious airfares.

It seems pnw is getting the goods tho, which I would assume also means whistler and the cad Rockies. Might try to get to Calgary and wander from there. I have a oppty to go to sun valley in a few weeks, so hoping for some change in pattern.

I've never seen alta so sparse in the decades I have been going there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
$100 a day for most lift tickets just not worth it anymore in the US unless there is significant POW !!

$10 for a Beer ...wink

US skiing is no longer cheap like it used to be in 80/90's those day are long gone.
snow conditions
@stanton, I remember my first lift tix at alta was in around $30 and they had a 1/2 day tix am or pm) for like $23. The North America ski industry consolidation is really changing pricing dynamics. The umbrella passes are the only reasonable approach, but u get no flexibility unless u know u are going to ski xyz this year.

Walked up to a tix window at vail a few yrs ago, early season, needed two-2 day tix (adult and child) and one 3- day tix, in mid December (early season with lots of closed terrain). $1200 for lift tix I think. Almost messed my pants. Horrible.
snow report
Shocked
That makes £55 for an adult and child season pass at Raise look like good value.

A pint of real ale in the Travellers Rest is about £3 I think Laughing
ski holidays
Redwine wrote:
@stanton, I remember my first lift tix at alta was in around $30 and they had a 1/2 day tix am or pm) for like $23.

I first went to Alta around the mid eighties.....and can remember the Lift Pass being around what you said above - and much cheaper than Snowbird, its considerably more luxurious neighbour. IIRC. It was because it was free and clear, with regards to its investment. The lifts were pretty old school, back then.
snow conditions
In Canada we had great early season, then it all melted and was also too warm to make snow.

Lots of snow this week though and more forecast
snow conditions
Any updates folks - particularly on the longer term forecast?? Conditions still looking pretty poor and we're off to Colorado (week in Aspen plus a week road trip) in four weeks' time.

Our last four or five N America jaunts have all been to BC - great conditions for catskiing etc etc - but Aspen has always been on our bucket list.

Last US trip was about 8 years ago to Utah - our first trip there to ski 'the greatest snow on earth'. Cue 10 days of blue skies, summer temperatures and not a single powder turn...followed (of course) by a huge storm the day after we left.

Have to say, have never had a shortage of snow in 20 years of visiting Espace Killy wink
snow report
The weird weather patterns seems to be continuing, although at least some storms are making their way further south. A month can make a big difference, but so far the cascades, and northern Rockies are getting a lot more. If you have a week to travel, maybe be flexible and consider travelling from central Rockies if you need to. It's not like there aren't big storms, so not like alps in prior years where it was dry all over the place. All those storms seem to be staying north. End of January isn't high season yet, so you may be able to fly elsewhere on your 2nd week at reasonable airfares.

I on the other hand am the kiss of death for the alps, having lousy or unseasonably warm conditions my last few trips to Europe, so it's just about timing.
snow conditions
Very strongly trying to get back to Banff this Easter (as it's the last early Easter for a few years - I have school-age children), so hoping it will be a good one.

However, we were there two years ago and they were complaining it had been the worst season for years. By my European standards, it looked perfectly normal!
snow report
@Orange200, good luck! I'm hoping for a Calgary trip also. Banff is incredible. If at all possible, look into revelstoke if you have not been there. A few hours more from Calgary, but worth it imho.
ski holidays
Currently in Utah, Snowbasin has been ok doing the best they can with limited snow, Snowbird was meh. Trashed my board as there are a lot of rocks showing through. Park City tomorrow, heard that sucks too.
snow report
Yeah, all those people from Utah are up here in BC, where the snow levels aren't as good as last year, but there's plenty and it's still falling. I would imagine Alberta (which is still not in trump-land) is also doing fine.

Orange200 wrote:
.. we were there two years ago and they were complaining it had been the worst season for years. By my European standards, it looked perfectly normal!

I too have a European perspective: bad conditions mean you can see grass and rocks and there's no snow. In BC at least, "brutal" conditions mean it's not snowed for a week. Or that the off piste is garbage, which still doesn't matter a jot to most guests. There's lots of good weather north of the border...
ski holidays
I should be on Powder mountain tomorrow, I'll let you know.
latest report
PNW was good but it's started raining again. I would try to stay north if anyone's considering anything to try to avoid warming temperatures, was just in Sun Peaks (between Whistler and Banff) and while it had been dry the skiing (even in the trees & off-piste) was fine, maybe a bit worse than average. And they've just started getting more snow. If you have a choice, try something new and head to some of the smaller BC Interior/Western Canadian Rockies places.
snow conditions
Masque, If its anything like the Snowbasin pics I've seen, it wont be the best wink Good luck to you and it can only get better in UT. - heres hoping Toofy Grin Its got until Feb to improve Madeye-Smiley

drewclarke, Been hearing the same regarding PC - lots of rocks and stumps just under the surface Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:
In BC at least, "brutal" conditions mean it's not snowed for a week.

To quote Pulp Fiction; "Oh man, I'm going. That's all there is to it, I'm ***kin going."

I'll go off and look at Revelstoke now, but I'm going for two weeks with family (daughters 9 and 12) and I'd got the impression it wasn't such a family friendly resort in that way, a bit more serious skier.
ski holidays
Orange200, Revelstoke isn't your typical tourist type of place, but doesn't mean you wouldn't have a couple of days of fun there. Nice drive too from Banff.
latest report
Thanks folks. I just put up a separate thread on this in the Resorts forum.
latest report
What they said, about Revelstoke - it's basically a small hill 10 minutes from the town with some real estate development. There's one big lift on one very steep slope.... it's more of a hard core sort of place than a family destination. The town is... back woods BC, so more lumberjack than family, although almost all the food available would likely be described as "family". When the snow there's good, it's a great place for off-piste; if it's not snowed for a while then there'll be plenty of hard pack to ride, and it will be empty because no one wants to go there to ride that, if you see what I mean.

I'm 3 hours north of Sun Peaks and we've 10cm fresh every day for the last 5 or so. Overall the snow pack is lower than normal, but there's no shortage. Temperature wise it's been very cold - minus 20 this morning, so the snow's good and cold. [off piste] Last week there was some wind-affected snow (both here and the week before in Whistler) to watch out for, but that's avoidable and now it's buried.
snow conditions
Revelstoke is amazing...fast uplift, huuuuge vertical, amazing views from the top, loads of snow and fab off piste both above and below the treeline. Very remote which is great once you're there. I would love to go back.
snow report
Never skiied revy but assumed that everyone just laps stoke and ripper chairs and lower mountain is just for getting back to base? In which case does the huge vertical mean anything? Same argument for whistlers vertical (OK they have peak to creek which is nice to tick off but more for novelty rather than quality skiing).
snow conditions
@boarder2020, there are some very nice runs down to the revelation gondola. The far left from the top had some of my favourite runs in the trees and staying over there takes you down to revelation eventually, instead of bailing out right earlier to stoke chair. The uplift is fast and it's nice to warm up again inside the gondola if it's cold and dumping.
latest report
My only gripe with revvy was the early lift closing time 2.30pm in Jan/Feb iirc
ski holidays
hd, They didn't close that early when we were there last Feb, Ripper closed at 3.30 ish , to give time to get back. Stoke around 4 IIRC. Takes a while to sweep all the outer areas and routes back. It was worse before they installed the Ripper and you had to hike out from bottom of North bowl

Greely bowl/North bowl and the route down to Ripper was still fun.

boarder2020, Huge vertical is just a number game really, bit like largest ski area, or longest run wink
Its fun to do from the top of the hike to base, but no need to do it all the time., easy to have more fun just skiing.
snow conditions
Canyons was tough going today, lot of rocks showing on blues, last day so back to Arizona tonight.
snow report
http://powderchasers.com/forecasts/mid-long-range-forecast

some storms next week, seems similar patterns
snow conditions
Doesn't sound stellar.

Got a work trip to the East coast mid March and was thinking to fly onto Denver and ski keystone and a-basin for a few days. But not sure if it's worth it... Expecting to need to book flights in the next few weeks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy