Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski poles, composite or alloy?

Poster: A snowHead
I bend ski poles on a regular basis, usually due to offpiste stacks. I've usually bought cheap poles as being "disposable" do composite poles survive longer? What's the reason behind adjustable poles? I've just spent my new ski budget on a week in Tignes so new poles are all I can manage on this year's kit budget.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tangowaggon wrote:
What's the reason behind adjustable poles?

The reason is so you can change the length...

I think possibly for those that tour as it's better to have a longer pole when you're polling on flats. Also park rats have them so they can shorten them to keep them out the way.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adjustable poles are indeed for touring, not just for flats but also when walking uphill... most people like to grip a bit further down the pole where it's thinner as the hand grip is quite uncomfortable when pushing out above shoulder height.

@tangowaggon, I do find that better ski poles last longer. I used to use cheap poles on the basis of a pair a season. Then in a bind I bought some expensive Leki titanium ones with the oval profile (stronger front to back than a circle) and to be fair they've done well and look good as new.

Also I really like the trigger system for the pole straps. Way better (IMO) than pole straps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tangowaggon, I'm like you having bent alloy poles before, so bought some carbon ones - love em and still going strong - 17 years later Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get good carbon poles, you'll have them for life
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've snapped a carbon pole before, these days I have carbon for the piste and good quality alloys for off piste. For all my many off piste stacks I don't seem to bend poles, keeping your hands out of the loops helps with this as well as the burial scenarios.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can break carbon poles if you give them a good whack against an edge when you stack it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Carbon poles are more expensive and are lighter on a like for like comparison. They do break and as @Mosha Marc, suggests - they don't like side impacts. while a alloy pole may kink and carbon pole will probably just bend. The bottom sections tend to be solid so are very strong. When off piste are you still connected to your poles, using the wrist loops, as this maybe the route cause of your breakages. When off piste its not good practice to have your poles attached in case of an avalanche and in most of my off piste stacks I've inadvertently jettisoned my poles and this may help reduce breakages.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

You can break carbon poles if you give them a good whack against an edge when you stack it.

Yep - I've done two pairs. They get weakened when you chip them with ski edges. I think carbon are nicer but I've gone back to alloy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m a bit of a carbon junkie, having worked for a Global Composites company in a past life. I’ve used Black Diamond, Leki, G3 adjustable carbon poles without issue, but I tend not to ski like a crash test dummy Very Happy

My current favourite is the G3 Carbon Pole, which has easily clip removable straps, really strong adjustment locking, and a great grip.

Having seen both lost and broken poles on long tours, and the problem that causes, I now carry a folding z pole in my pack for emergency use.

Most adjustable carbon poles are only slightly lighter than the alloy, for example Black Diamond carbon poles are only 10-20g lighter on a 300g pole. Be careful using very light non-ski specific trekking poles for skiing, as they won’t have the strengthening in the lower section to protect against ski edge damage.

However if you want to go really light, I have seen great reviews of the Locus CP3 adjustable pole by split boarders, who only use them for the up:

http://locusgear.com/items/cp3/?lang=en
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Strength and durability are most important to me, within reason, weight is not important. I doubt that adjustable poles will be worth it for me but swappable baskets might be useful.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In that case maybe the Black Crows Furtis, and at 22mm one of the fattest poles available:

https://www.black-crows.com/furtis-ski-poles
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've yet to ski or tour with a Guide who uses adjustable poles. Just saying...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alloy poles make a more satisfying noise when clicked to warn slow pokes you are passing Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stevo wrote:
I went on an off-piste course with our very own Husky Dave and he told us, if we could, to shorten our poles on one occasion. But I can't remember why, now. Embarassed
ski holidays
@Hurtle,

But if you get poles with extended grips down the shaft you can just hold them lower down for the same effect.

I do see the argument about EXTENDING poles for long flat skins but set against that are the strength and weight penalties of adjustment mechanisms.
latest report
Here's something to spend your money on http://en.kangpoles.com. Not for me, but I’ve seen them in the shop and they look great
snow report
@jedster, have to admit that my extendable poles are pretty useless now anyway. I bent one of them, which means that it won't go up and down in its shaft. (Ooh, Matron...)
snow report
@tangowaggon, I have a pair of Goode Carbon poles which I bought in 2002. They get about 60 days a season, much of it off piste.

I don't fall over often, but it does happen.

The baskets and spikes have been replaced. The nice thing is that you can basically get all the bits and replace as you go. That said, I haven't needed to do much.

Pretty robust and reliable.
ski holidays
+1 for Goode http://goode.com/skipoles which have lasted over 20 years...

I like the shock absorption of the composite poles: Brilliant thing is they have screw on/off baskets so you can interchange from larger diameter powder baskets or smaller piste baskets.

I ordered replacement baskets on line from the U.S although they didn't (then) have an international shipping option and they arrived in a couple of days.
latest report
under a new name, so are mine, bought 2001 - got the adjustable ones too- not that they need it. thanks for the info about replacing bits - might look into that Smile
latest report
We've a couple of pairs of Goode brand carbon poles from 2002 I think, they are really tough and still going on with no problems.

I've no particular preference either way but these do seem to be bullet proof.
snow conditions
fwiw, I was advised to steer clear of composite poles, as they flex too much. apparently for challenging skiing it's better to have stiffness. ymmv.
snow report
Good poles simple. Love my Leki Bluebirds and Leki HX 6's

Bluebirds are half and half Alu / Carbon

HX6's are carbon

Never bent and Alu or carbon pole, perhaps I'm not trying hard enough Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, I have bluebirds and whilst the poles seem both tough and lightweight, the catch which does up the adjustment broke in half on the first day. (Of course by this point I'd lost the receipt!)
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:

Never bent and Alu or carbon pole, perhaps I'm not trying hard enough Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I can give you plenty of guidance on big stacks Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Myself and a lot of my friends us the Volkl Phantastick poles. They are fairly cheap if you shop around, the hand grip is very comfortable and stable and they come in a variety of bright colours; if you drop a pole in powder it makes finding them a little easier Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 22-12-17 16:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@tangowaggon, I have a pair of Goode Carbon poles which I bought in 2002. They get about 60 days a season, much of it off piste.

I don't fall over often, but it does happen.

The baskets and spikes have been replaced. The nice thing is that you can basically get all the bits and replace as you go. That said, I haven't needed to do much.

Pretty robust and reliable.

Pretty much like Triggers broom then! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
Stevo wrote:
I went on an off-piste course with our very own Husky Dave and he told us, if we could, to shorten our poles on one occasion. But I can't remember why, now. Embarassed

I first started skiing off piste about forty years ago, however I only heard the idea about shortening poles off piste for the first time when skiing in Val d'Isere last week.

The logic is that when skiing deep powder, although the skis can go quite deep the poles, particularly with big baskets, do not go so far and you end up with your hands too high and not in an ideal position. The person that mentioned this was not an instructor and I do not know where he got the idea, but he was a vey competent and strong off piste skier. He said that he shortens his poles by five centimetres when skiing deep snow and it does make a difference.
latest report
I use Komperdell adjustable poles. Get a new pair every now and again from Ochsner sport in CH. K poles have a no quibble 3 year warranty and K send out new parts by DHL on receipt of an email with pics of damage etc to home address or resort address. Had new handles, touring grips, clamps and pole sections over the years. Great service from the company.

Adjust them regularly to max 155cm for skating out of say Cugnai/Tour du Charvet below the Manchet chair and then shorten for deep powder to stop the baskets catching in the snow.
snow report
Charliee wrote:
When off piste its not good practice to have your poles attached in case of an avalanche

Why?
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Charliee wrote:
When off piste its not good practice to have your poles attached in case of an avalanche

Why?

They can get caught and drag you under, or damage you.

It's also good practice to remove the straps when tree skiing...again, in case they get caught, but on the branches, or impede exit if fall into a tree-well.

https://backcountrymagazine.com/stories/leash-laws-use-pole-straps-backcountry/
snow report
Also, in an avi it can be very useful to fight and 'swim' for the surface and clear space around you before the snow stops moving, if your hands are attached to your poles this is much more difficult.
ski holidays
I've got a pair of Scott carbon poles from circa 2004. Over the years I've replaced the grips, the baskets, the spikes & the shafts but otherwise they're original & still going strong Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@spyderjon, I wonder what triggered that. Toofy Grin
latest report
Around 1983 Lange made skis (around 8 models). I bought the SLS on the recommendation of the SCGB...and hated them.

The Skis are long since gone, but I still have the Lange Ski Poles that matched (deep blue, with orange handles and baskets)....and there can't be many of these left alive anywhere in the world. snowHead
snow report
@spyderjon, so not the ones you folded in half on the first day of EOSB then? Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
dp wrote:
@spyderjon, so not the ones you folded in half on the first day of EOSB then? Very Happy Very Happy

You mean the ones that Pete folded in half for me rolling eyes
ski holidays
At the Tignes ski bash a few weeks back one of the guys we were skiing with bought a pair of 120 euro carbon poles on the Monday, on the Friday he caught the edge of the pole on the ski and cut it in half. Needless to say he wasn't best pleased.
I think I'll 'stick' with my £10 Decathalon alloy ones. Smile Also less risk of someone nicking them outside a restaurant. Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy