Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Setting bindings for BSL - over or under?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if a stoopid question - but new to me, never encountered it before (and, yes, I have set up similar bindings for me before, but it always seems more obvious.). Don't have any instructions with the bindings.

Just got a 'new' (i.e. 2/hnd) pair of rock/turf-hoppers. Bindings are on a rail system and quickly adjustable to take most adult boot sole lengths, adjustable in 5mm increments with a bit of looseness/play in each option. My BSL is 276mm.

I started off by setting at 275, and the boots (with or without me in them) go in firmly (not needing a struggle or undue pressure) with a very satisfying clunk - and then release with such a spring that the boots (without me in them) go flying across the room! The forward pressure indicator (as they arrived, so not set up by me per se) seems good: right in the middle of the max & min marks. They came set at DIN 5 and that's normally where I set bindings.
However, they seem to be a very tight fit with the boot in the binding; almost too tight, I'm wondering. I can't get the boot to release from the binding on testing it at twist etc, as I normally can (with effort) on my other bindings at DIN 5.

I then set them at 280mm. The forward pressure indicator is now way out (I can adjust it, obviously) and the whole feel is less tight, although they still seem to be a reasonable fit and the boots certainly don't just drop out or feel particularly loose.

Question, therefore: do I set the bindings as tight as possible, techncially at the BSL minus 1mm, and then maybe reduce the DIN, or do I set them at 4mm over and presumably take up some slack with the FP adjustment? Which is the 'safer' or more correct option when there's only 1mm in it?

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grizzler, I don't think that's a stupid question – bindings need to be set up correctly to work as expected.

Instruction manuals can often be found online – do you know what model they are?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need the forward pressure to be right, wherever that may be.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with @SnoodlesMcFlude, if the forward pressure indicator is in the middle then you're basically doing it right.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You set them so that the forward pressure is correct. However, they may also have a manual height adjustable AFD which will need setting and possibly even manual toe wing adjustment, both of which could give excessive hold on the boot even though the forward pressure is correct.

How all of these adjustments are made is often make/model specific.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy