Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan / Canada with 2 year old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone.

So, 2 adults and a 2 year old having to decide between Canada and Japan for 2 weeks skiing, end of Feb early Mar. We love the idea of skiing in Japan, but are quite intimidated by the difficulties potentially with childcare and simply the unknown of going there with our little un who won't yet be skiing. So what are we looking for....

- Strong intermediate / advanced skiers wanting to master some powder. Wife likes to ski on piste blacks, I like off piste blacks pushing myself on double blacks (Spankys ladder at Whistler)
- Require day care for daughter. Good ski instruction for my wife and I.
- Nightlife not a concern, activities for family important
- Costs of flight from here (Turkey) are roughly the same to either destination. But getting to some of the Canadian resorts will be likely 2 flight connections. There are no direct flights to Calgary, Vancouver or Seattle. Tokyo is direct.
- Don't mind a drive, so long as its not super dangerous or super long (6 plus hours)
- Snow sure important, quality also. (wasn't the heavy wet stuff at Whistler this year) fussy, I know!
- Accommodation & budget; somewhere comfortable to relax with the family. Mid range, not a hostel or 5 star. Ski in Ski out would be a bonus. Not keen on paying stupid Jackson hole ticket prices!
- Food; decent choice of healthy is preferable, but not a deal breaker.
- Crowds and queues; less of them the better. Whistler was disappointing for this.
- Culture; if we could experience great skiing, with a big dollop of Japanese culture, whilst being able to have our daughter in childcare with other English speaker kids / carers, then that would be the ticket!

We've always skied North America and absolutely love it there, but the season is looking bleak in some parts, lessening our options. Previous trips; Telluride, Banff, Fernie, Mammoth, Whistler & Summit Co resorts.

Hope you can help.

Merry Xmas

Gav
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want powder Japan is the most reliable option. Not famous for its steeps though and off-piste is not controlled like n america so you would need avy equipment, knowledge and/or guide.

Japan may require a second flight too. Depends on your choice of resort.

With 2 months to go I wouldn't be too concerned about current weather for places that are generally snow sure. Still lots of time. If you are concerned though Canada interior is doing very well already. kicking horse would suit you (although maybe not your wife). Red or revelstoke may be a better compromise between you and your wife's choice of terrain - but definitely more off piste focused.

While you will get a taste of Japanese culture visiting any resort in Japan some get a more international crowd and perhaps offer a less cultural experience. I wouldn't worry about English speaking kids - they deal with the language barrier far better than adults ime.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are going to do Japan there are a couple of Club Meds up in Hokkaido which have good kids clubs to let you get out every day!

J
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe take a look at Big White
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy