Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resort close to NYC

Poster: A snowHead
I will be in New York on business in January but have a weekend to kill. Can anyone recommend a ski resort close to NYC that is good for intermediates and advanced. Also tips on how to get there and where to stay would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think they go to Vermont ie Killington, Stowe.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Years ago I did a load of research for something similiar, if you have the time Stowe would be my recommendation. I went for Mount Snow which was a lot closer. 214 miles to Mount Snow vs 334 to Stowe. I hired a car and drove, was pretty sketchy for the last section as it was snowing heavily!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nearest half decent resorts would be in the Catskill Mountains, about 120 miles north of New York City. Hunter Mountain and Windham Mountain are the two biggest I think. These are incredibly busy at the weekend though so you'd probably be better off heading a bit further north. We used to go to Gore Mountain in the Adirondack Mountains. It's about 240 miles from NYC. A lot further away but much less busy than the ones closer to the city.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Windham is pretty good, actually. There are some ski buses from Manhattan, including this: http://www.windhammountain.com/groups-weddings/tour-operators/

Mount Snow is the nearest "big" mountain to NYC, I think; I'm sure you can find a weekend ski package from NYC with a bit of hunting around. Havent been there in 15 years but IIRC it's quite good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bompey, if it’s just for a weekend, either Hunter or Wyndham ought be enough to keep you amused.

Not outstanding, but always worth checking out new resorts.

Can’t recall where I stayed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, I reckoned I'd ski all the runs at Hunter in a morning off the 3 lifts when I last looked, whereas Mt Snow seemed to have a lot more to ski!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, Mt Snow certainly does but a bit more of a drive I think?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Caution, January weather can be hit or miss in the area. So whatever you book, make sure you have a liberal cancellation policy.

1) The least hassle option is ski buses. There're buses going to the Catskills (Hunter, Bellearye, Wyndam) and to Vermont (Mt Snow, Killington, Okemo). Buses to the Catskills tend to be day trip (2 hour trip each way). Buses to VT can be either day trip (a very long one ~4 hours each way) or overnight

2) Hire a car. Access to the same region as ski bus but with more freedom of movement. And also can visit mountains the ski buses don't. Traffic getting out of the city on a Friday evening can be maddening though.

3) Fly west! For just Saturday/Sunday, it's too short and too rush. But if you can wrangle either the Friday or the Monday off (preferably both Toofy Grin), you'll be more likely to get the best skiing.

2nd warning: At the moment, snow record in North America is rather spotty. This isn't the banner season of last year. So keep your expectation realistic, you maybe even be pleasantly surprised.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done this a few times - I'd rent a car and drive up to Stratton after work Fri, arriving about midnight, and saying in one of cheap motels on the road near Manchester -it's then about 30 mins to the hill the following morning. After a day on the mountain, i'd drive down to windham Saturday night - then get most of Sunday to ski there. and still make it back in reasonable time for the overnight flight back. I usually flew out of Newark, so would drop the car at the airport. Trying to do more/go further isn't worth it, in my opinion - you won't have time.

I worked in NYC for a few years, so my view on these hills is prob a bit rose-tinted - happy memories of learning to snowboard there. But def. ok for a weekend - even if the snow is sketchy, it's still skiing, right!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone. I have also made contact with a friend from our US office who also recommened Stratton. He said it's further but probably quieter and he may be able to give me a lift as he sometimes skis at weekends. Much appreciated re checking snow reports beforehand but I am stuck in NYC for the weekend so fingers crossed a weekend skiing in any snow is better than stuck in Manhattan or going to the office.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did a season at a tiny private ski resort near Mt Snow two winters ago.
If you hire a car and drive to Mt Snow look at accommodation at the resort via the Mt snow website ski and stay packages (will be the most expensive option) or stay in Wilminton or West Dover in a Motel/Guest house.
http://www.austrianhaus.com/ are nice people in West Dover.
The Old Red Mill Inn in Wilmington is another suggestion for a goodloaction for food/drink in the evening.
As suggested Hiring a car from Newark Airport is a good idea as your already out of the city and more or less on the motorway, you can get the train out to Newark airport from Penn Station.
The Drive to Mt Snow from Newark is North up to Albany then turn right on the route 7 to Wilmington. Then turn left at the cross road light when in Wilmington and drive a few miles to West Dover.
Mt snow is OK, but very different to skiing in the Alps. It's the most southerly 'big(ish) ski resort in Vermont.
Stowe is a great resort but I think it's a bit too far to drive for a weekend from NYC.
The resorts up in the NY/VT get lots of visitors at the weekends (Weekend warriors). As previously suggested Hunter and Wyndham are closer but smaller than Mt Snow. They might be enough though.
@Pejoli, idea of VT resort such as Stratton or Stowe for a day then NY state resort of Hunter or Wydam on the way back seems logical.
Dot's cafe in West Dover or Wilmington is great for Breakfast if you make it to Mt Snow.

Also as @Pasigal, says there are options for bus trips from the City for a day.

See these links
https://www.nycsnowbus.com/calendar.php
https://www.paragonsports.com/pages/ski-trips
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bompey wrote:
Thanks everyone. I have also made contact with a friend from our US office who also recommened Stratton. He said it's further but probably quieter and he may be able to give me a lift as he sometimes skis at weekends. Much appreciated re checking snow reports beforehand but I am stuck in NYC for the weekend so fingers crossed a weekend skiing in any snow is better than stuck in Manhattan or going to the office.

Compare to "stuck" in Manhattan, skiing will probably be worth it even if its boiler plate.

Stratton isn't exactly "quiet". But if your colleague can drive you up, that's better than anything else. You effectively gets not just a lift but possibly even a local guide.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to stay in Manchester VT on business on a fairly regular basis. In addition to Stratton there is Bromley, about 10 minutes from Manchester on Rt 11. Probably enough skiing here for a day.

There was also a very small ski area at Londonderry called Magic Mountain that we skied for a day and had pretty much to ourselves ( it was very, very cold! ).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thinking about it again...if you can find a way to get up to a "big" mountain in Vermont, either through a weekend junket (see various links above) or with a friend, you'll be much happier. Hunter/Windham are fine, but you'll really enjoy the VT ambience, especially if you go to Stowe/Sugarbush/Mad River Glen (!). There should be trips that leave either Friday night or zero-dark-thirty on Saturday morning -- it's about 5 hours to Green Mountains resorts. You'll get two full days of skiing in, can sleep on bus aller/retour.
ski holidays
I was in Mount Snow for a couple of weeks last year and can reiterate what people have said about the variable conditions. The first week it was cold and we had lots of snow - I was up to my knees on one piste. The second week it was glorious sunshine - lovely to ski in, but we lost all the snow. These pictures are taken in the same place 6 days apart:

I think they closed that piste not long after that. Those pictures were taken in the Sunbrooke area, the main face kept its snow much better. It's got a huge snow park area if that's your thing and lots of ungroomed black runs if you like you moguls. It gets very busy at the weekend so be prepared to queue, and take advantage of the single-person queues they have on most lifts. The back faces are quieter, but the lifts are slower so it's 6 and half a dozen.[/img]
snow report
@thelem, I’m not sure that illustrates particular variability. Looks to me like you lucked out on a small snowfall onto patchy base on grass that then just melted.

Hardly unusual nor usefully descriptive as a generalisation.
snow report
There is decent snow in New England after the next few storms. May be an interesting weather pattern. If it were me, I would avoid hunter and Wyndem if possible. Interesting to see the skiers, but it's just not worth it. Same for Pocono and Pennsylvania resorts.

That leaves western mass, and Vermont. Going higher north up is always better, but drive times expand a lot. Shorter is western mass, around 3.5 hours, southern vt (snow, Stratton) probably worth the 4-4.5 hr drive. Central vt options get better (killington, okemo), about 4.5-5 hrs. If u are willing to drive 5-6 hours +I would definety go to sugarbush, Stowe, jay peak, but that a long weekend.

Also NYC traffic absolutely sux on Friday. I didn't see where u are driving from?, manhattan? If so plan accordingly. Leave at noon on a Friday if you can. Traffic is terrible these days.
latest report
I'm guessing there's no point at all going to Hunter for a day over Xmas? If it's crazy busy on weekends it'll be worse on public holidays. I'm just about to start packing for a week in Westchester and it's only two hours from there to Hunter, but the rest of the family aren't bothered about skiing and I don't think it's worth bringing all my stuff.
snow conditions
@Maireadoconnor, westchester is north of the traffic gauntlet, so mt snow and Stratton are probably only 3-3.5 hrs away. Xmas will be a stupid busy, but something is better than nothing? Plus storms coming on Friday and Xmas day.
latest report
Ok, so trip to Stratton completed. I got the bus after work from Manhattan and due to accidents on the motorway it took 6 hours rather than the scheduled 4. I stayed at my pal's place but he drove directly from New Jersey. This is the first time I've skied in the US and it is really different to the Alps. It was much, much colder than I've ever skied in before, and the base was just solid ice. I shouldn't complain but the grading took some getting used to as the signs for black double diamonds warned for experts only, but at worst it was the same as a French red / difficult blue.
ski holidays
@bompey, "This is the first time I've skied in the US and it is really different to the Alps."...yes, stratton is not tigne, thats for sure. Rockies are more comparable to the alps, but even they are different in some better and worse ways. I would never travel to vermont from Europe to ski, so dont write off USA skiing, just head further west.

It sounds like u were there last weekend. I heard it thoroughly sucked. massive rain, then the cold. its been frustrating in the east this year, as its either too cold, or it warms up and rains hard, only to refreeze.

FWIW, I think the USA trail marking are all relative. So black does not = black, and generally even the easiest mountain will have a black. Is that the same in the alps?
snow conditions
@bompey, Welcome to East Coast skiing! But a day on skis beats a day on...a lot of other things, including slogging around Manhattan in mid-January.

The "black diamond" grading in the US, like reds in Europe, is highly variable -- agree that it's relative to other trails on the mountain, in most cases, but that is also the same in Europe.

I can almost guarantee that if you ski the double-black-diamind "front four" at Stowe you'll be getting your money's worth.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy