Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions please for a good value resort for beginner family (with teens) in May/June 18

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

We are very new to this. We did try to sort a Ski=ing holiday out for Christmas 2017 but we just couldn't time our work holidays with the Kids time off School.

So, we're back again hoping you guys can help us. This time we know the EXACT dates we can go. I would be very grateful if you lot can give us some advice as a starting point to me searching for our holiday.

So, we are Dad (47), Mum (45), Daughter (16), Son (15). The closest any of us has ever come to Ski-ing is eating a Yoghurt. However, we like just 5 miles from Trafford Centre, which has an indoor Ski slope. Therefore, we may take lessons before we go. Our dates are SET IN STONE (because of School holidays). Those dates are from Saturday 26th May 2018 until Sunday 3rd June 2018. We live in Manchester but would be willing to fly from elsewhere within a reasonable distance in UK. I accept that what we are looking for might be asking a lot. Please forgive my ignorance if I say something silly or contradictory. We are total newbies. So, with any luck here's hoping you guys can assist us with some suggestions...PS, I'm not being Lazy and asking you guys to do everything for me. I would simply be grateful for your suggestions based on our ideas. So here's what we'd prefer...

A resort in Europe (Italy, France, Austria, Switz etc, etc because of the close proximity to us)
A resort with guaranteed Snow (is this a silly thing to say?)
A resort that is good for Teens (Especially WiFi, other Teens etc)
A resort that would cater for beginners (our Son is not the most confident of Kids and he would take a lot of time to learn. We would hate to hold others back or get in their way because of this).
A resort that is good value (this is our first time so having a great time at a good price is probably more important than being the best Skiers in the World)
We have read in a few places that a lot of Ski holidays are on the basis of sharing chalets etc with other families. Naturally, we would prefer our own (if this is possible)

Our dates are here, our family details are here, our ideas are here. I would be extremely grateful if you guys would spend a few moments with your suggestions on what I have said. Even if it's just on the lines of ...'Don't go to *****, it's not good for beginners, or...**** is a good place that caters well for families, or...The best travel agent/website is ******.

Thank you in advance all. We look forward to your suggestions.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The season will have finished. Even Val D only stays open until 1 May. You may find something on a glacier somewhere, but even then unlikely.

Don't know when NZ opens? Better plan for the following season, in very general terms season in Europe is Xmas to Easter with a few weeks popped on either end for the more snow sure resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you sure you've got your dates right? I can't think of any European resorts that would be open then (other than a couple of glaciers).
The main ski season in Europe is from Xmas to early April, with a few resorts still open into late April and May.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agghhhh. See, I told you I was a beginner! Thank you for those rapid replies. I guess I better start planning for next year then. To be fair, I have just learned something! I honestly thought that Ski - ing was available in Europe all year round as long as you went Higher & Higher.

Thank you guys.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quick google search shows you might need to go to Scandinavia up near the Arctic circle or the USA / Canada. There's also a glacier in Italy thats open until July.
Your options are going to be very limited though. It will most likely mean you need to compromise something else - probably suitability for beginners or cost.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@franksebem, can you go over the Easter holidays?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was going to say Arinsal in Andorra until I saw the dates you speak of. It's cheap, easy and friendly. Oh and stay in the Pablo Apartments as it's close to the bubble and you get self catering style rooms with a kitchenette or just eat downstairs or out in the village.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As noted above, plan again for January-April. You could do a skiing holiday for the dates you mentioned, at a glacier in the alps or Norway, but the skiing would be very limited, drag lifts etc, and a very abnormal family ski holiday (it’s mostly people race training or doing some ski improvement course of some sort, not family breaks).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can still eat a yoghurt on those dates Smile

As before; you really can’t make anything at Easter this year? I guess the children have exams.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@franksebem, if you can consider 7th-14th April, a bunch of SnowHead families are heading to Val Thorens in France for the Spring Family Bash. There will be moody teenagers (sorry, "children") of more or less the right ages. Val Thorens being one of the highest resorts in Europe, it is very likely that there will be good snow.

The idea of a SnowHeads bash is that through a combination of DIY and Herculean efforts by Admin, everyone has a good time without spending silly money. Val Thorens is not 'cheap' but by self-catering and using a bit of nous you can keep the costs under control.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy