Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

edge guide for 2 and 3 degree edges

Poster: A snowHead
My current ski is 1:1
If I want to put on a 2 segree edge, what guide am I supposed to buy - is it an 88 guide?
Do I buy a 90 degree guide to maintain the base or an 89?
COnfused... Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Because your edges are 1,1; that's 90 degrees - it's square, so the 1 degree at the side is offset by the 1 degree on the base to make 90 degrees.

So 2,1 is 89, and 3,1 is 88
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dp, Nope. The base bevel doesn't extend all the way across the base so the guide needs to match just the side angle.

@GordonFreeman, Get an 88 guide.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GordonFreeman, for the base edge I use a specific base edge guide which was a cheap plastic file guide which measures from the base so is for me (and for you) 1 deg. One of my multi angle edge guides also has a base edge guide built in, might be worth checking.
For a side angle of two then it’s an 88 you need, with a 1 base angle the actual edge will be 89 but in terms of file guides it’s not relevant.
Be careful with the base edge as it’s only possible to file it to the same angle, or sharper, this means if you overdo it then the only way to go back to a flatter angle is with a base grind. I don’t know why unless you’re a racer you would need to go more than 1 deg on the base. Personally I find accurately doing the base edge more of a challenge than the side edge.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Out of interest, what use is a 90 side edge sharpener then? That means flat?
Kuu sell them. Kuu ice buster
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GordonFreeman, I don't know about skis, but some snowboards (well, mine at least) use a 90 degree edge.

Edit: in ski speak would that be 0:0?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 18-12-17 19:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GordonFreeman, some useful information.
https://the-raceplace.com/pages/how-to-tune-edges

I’m not sure what your question means, however some skis have a 0 base angle and 0 side angle for which a 90 guide is the one to use.
I’ve experimented with various angles over the years and unless it’s icy it’s hard to tell the difference, the main thing with edges is never to let them get dull, rather than get too concerned with edge combinations. With new skis I’d say leave well alone.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dp wrote:
Because your edges are 1,1; that's 90 degrees - it's square, so the 1 degree at the side is offset by the 1 degree on the base to make 90 degrees.

So 2,1 is 89, and 3,1 is 88

No, no & no!

The correct notation for stating edge angles is NOT to refer to the angle subtended - the subtended angle should never be quoted as it just confuses folk!

Both the base edge and the side edges are quoted seperately and the base edge angle is always stated first.

The actual base edge angle is measured from the horizontal plane and the vast majority of skis have a 1 degree base edge angle.

The actual side edge angle is measured either from the vertical or the horizontal plane. So a 1 degree side = an 89 degree & a 2 = an 88 & a 3 = an 87.

So for a Dynastar ski with a 1 degree base & a 1 (=89) side edge the correct notation is either a 1,1 or a 1,89. And to tune this ski you'd need a 1 or an 89 degree side edge angle guide.

So for a K2 ski with a 1 degree base & a 2 (=88 ) side edge the correct notation is either a 1,2 or a 1,88. And to tune this ski you'd need a 2 or an 88 degree side edge angle guide.

So for a Blizzard ski with a 1 degree base & a 3 (=87) side edge the correct notation is either a 1,3 or a 1,87. And to tune this ski you'd need a 1 or an 87 degree side edge angle guide.

Here's a few diagrams that might help: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/terminology.html

And there's a list of manufacturers angles here: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/edge-angles-wax-data/15-ski-manufacturers-edge-angle-specifications.html. Note that some manufacturers still don't quote their specs correctly and most of their staff/distributors don't have a clue and their websites are often incorrect!

And no ski shipped to the great unwashed is shipped 0,0 as it'd be unskiable without any base edge angle. The only skis that might leave a factory with those angles would be for high-end racers to allow them or their tech to set their own preferred angles, especially on the base edge.

A 0/90 degree side edge angle guide is a legacy from the old straight ski days and should NOT be used on a modern shaped ski!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, phew! what kept you,
@GordonFreeman, what @spyderjon, says.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got told by a guy at stockli that the skis I was looking at come with a factory tune of 1 degree base and 2 degrees side. I then asked if that meant I needed an 88 degree side edge file guide. He said no you need an 89 degree edge file guide. I'm confused.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Powder Pete, spyderjon is The Guru.
Whoever that was at Stockli is not!

Listen to The Guru.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Powder Pete, I draw on the side edge with a black felt tip pen. When you start to sharpen the file will remove the pen mark evenly across the edge if you are filing accurately with the same side angle. If the bottom or the top of the edge is being removed first the you’re either lessening or increasing the side angle respectively.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Powder Pete, you Stockli guy is clueless - as are many factory/shop folk.

Your Stockli guy is correct in that their non-race skis come 1,2 (=1,88 ) but that means you'll need a 2 degree or 88 degree side edge angle guide.

As stated above, the subtended angle is never used/referred to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah so I was right. You just minus whatever degree they say from 90 degrees. Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jjams82 wrote:
... some snowboards (well, mine at least) use a 90 degree edge....
No doubt it depends on the type of snowboard. For my slalom boards the factory angles are 0.5 base and 3 side. Of course many snowboarders never use the edges anyway wink

My own file guides all seem to have essentially preset standard angles on them so it's fairly hard to get it wrong, so long as you know what a right angle is.
snow report
@spyderjon, talk about a quality answer!
snow report
Some crazy ‘info’ posted on here.
ski holidays
The last time I had skis serviced by someone other than me (in VT) they came back 0/90. It made for an interesting days skiing until I worked out what was wrong When I had a word with the shop their reply was that the edges would stand up to grinding rails better! I don't think I've ever been grinding rails though I did once have to jump over one which I hadn't spotted taking a shortcut in low vis. I suppose it makes a kind of sense, a blunt edge goes blunter slower than a sharp edge.
snow report
philwig wrote:
jjams82 wrote:
... some snowboards (well, mine at least) use a 90 degree edge....
No doubt it depends on the type of snowboard. For my slalom boards the factory angles are 0.5 base and 3 side. Of course many snowboarders never use the edges anyway wink

My own file guides all seem to have essentially preset standard angles on them so it's fairly hard to get it wrong, so long as you know what a right angle is.

I asked the mushette's snowboard instructor what angles I should set and he just gave me a funny look Laughing
snow report
anarchicsaltire wrote:
The last time I had skis serviced by someone other than me (in VT) they came back 0/90. It made for an interesting days skiing until I worked out what was wrong When I had a word with the shop their reply was that the edges would stand up to grinding rails better! I don't think I've ever been grinding rails though I did once have to jump over one which I hadn't spotted taking a shortcut in low vis. I suppose it makes a kind of sense, a blunt edge goes blunter slower than a sharp edge.

An edge at 0deg ie flat with the base will catch quicker than a bevelled edge regardless of the side angle..
snow report
[quote="Roguevfr] An edge at 0deg ie flat with the base will catch quicker than a bevelled edge regardless of the side angle..[/quote]

Fortunately I was already very good at falling, however it took me a while to work out why I seemed to be practicing it more than usual.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy