Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Timers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Information i am seeking is spread around various forums /posts / blogs, etc so forgive me if this is a question that has been asked a zillion times before

Our Circumstances

Family of 4
2 adults
2children(9-14)
First Time skiing
Resort - Aime la plagne 18 february 2006.

would appreciate some guidance on
1-reccomended ski schools?
2-6 full days tuition or 6 half days tuition ?
3-Ski Hire-good shops- (Intersport are saying they are sold out for that week)

Thanks in anticipation (This is a very last minute booking) Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
geoff.king, welcome to snowheads! snowHead

Can't help on 1 and 3, but 2 I would suggest you may be better off with full days of tuition - at least at the start of the week.

At such short notice you might find you are limited to the ESF - other smaller ski schools having been booked up for what I suspect is peak of season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geoff.king, Hi
Try: www.snowrental.net
Or try emailing touist office: stations.altitude@la-plagne.com
Hope you enjoy your holiday snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would suggest half days (morning) for everyone. On the first few day or two it is pretty tiring and taking the afternoon off to hang out together/do other things is beneficial, and as you and kids will probably be in seperate lessons it gives you a chance to see them (which is a good thing right wink ). After the first day or two you will probably be able to spend the afternoons skiing together practicing which is both fun, and a chance to consolidate what you know.

Someone athletic and confident will get a lot out of full day lessons, but for small kids, and anyone nervous, a full day can just be too much to be fun - and IMO you don't get a lot more out of it than half days and afternoons practising on your own. You know your family best so are the only one that can decide which route to take really - if it isn't much more money full days could be worthwhile, especially for the 14 year old?

For ski hire - don't know the area but sport2000 are usually reliable and may have availability - could give them a try. www.sport200.fr?

We are using oxygene in plagne centre (http://www.oxygene-ski.com/) - I think they run a shuttle form aime la plagne so could be worth a look - they have a good reputation

aj xx
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoff.king, Welcome to snowHead

To echo the above advice slightly.

I would contact the ski schools directly by phone(See web site) and see who can provide a) English speaking instruction and b) What their maximum class size is:

You want lessons with an English speaking instructor and preferably a class size of 8 or less, at this short notice you may not be able to do this as you are going in one of the busiest weeks of the year. ESF often have very good instructors but high class sizes if you go with them you may want to take half day lessons and look to supplement with a couple of private lessons as standing waiting for beginner tows in a group of fourteen can wear on the patience for a whole day.

For hire shops I would ring in advance and then get to it as early as you can to get good fitting boots, at the height of the season for beginners you are unlikely to find major differences in equipment from different shops. (NB When you get your boots if they are wet take out the inners and dry them inside and make sure your toenails are cut short to prevent unnecessary pain.)

Most importantly: Have a great time snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
geoff.king, I would definitely say only half days's tuition, or maybe you can all learn together in a private lesson of around 2 hours per day. I think midday or afternoons are best for beginners - better snow, more time to get up and around etc. In any case the morning s are likely to be booked up by now. If you take 6 x 2 hours-ish private lessons and set aside some time for practise every day, you should all pregress nicely. YOU MUST PRACTISE WHAT YOUR TEACHER TELLS YOU!!!! don't get too ambitious and start taking on whatever (and if other people you meet say "do this" remember: they're amateurs!!!!

have a nice time - youll love it.

You could ask the ESF La Plagne for Louisa Steiger - she's English and if not booked up would probably do very well for you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the advice.
You have all been most helpful

I will now wave my magic wand and send you some snow

snowHead Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy