Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dumb *** how cold will that feel question...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No, that would be a Jeremy Corbyn bot wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it’s consistently wrong. Always forecasts lots of snow and revises it as you get nearer the time.

Absolutely not the case. I have been comparing snow-forecast with the empirical evidence outside my apartment for the last 15 seasons. It under-forecasts just as often as it over-forecasts. It's funny the way that people attribute some kind of malicious intent to a load of computer model outputs and algorithms. Laughing

Sorry, must have missed the bit of my post where I suggested it was malicious intent rolling eyes Maybe I should have clarified that it was only what I've experienced, but I thought that was fairly obvious. I can also write off the idea confirmation bias as the majority of those trips have had snow forecast on the site and absolutely none fallen.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will keep a track from January when I’m usually hooked on the Arabba forecasts n webcams.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@ster, it’s consistently wrong. Always forecasts lots of snow and revises it as you get nearer the time. You’ll see them forecast about 12 inches 5 days out, then with 3 days left it’s down to 8 inches and by the day of the snow it’s down to about one or two.

I never trust snow-forecast more than a day or two out other than to give an idea of the general trend.

That's weather forecasting for you.

I am used to weather reports forecasting great conditions for upcoming weekends (snow in the week then sunshine) then seeing it get worse and worse as the weekend actually approached, funnily enough it was the forecast on the lift company's website.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RobWa, both from skiing and through work I would say something around -15 is the limit for exposed flesh. Have skied in the states in -25 when exposed flesh would become painful after a few minutes and the guides would be pulling people for having their eyeballs out. I do occasional maintenance work for a large fast food chain. Walk in freezer can't get above -18 and if you are in there for 5 minutes your face stops working. 10 minutes and everything is hurting. You only make that mistake once.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnoodlesMcFlude You said it was "consistently wrong" and "always forecasts lots of snow and revises it as you get nearer the time".

Those are sweeping statements. Had you said you had experienced that for the majority of ski trips over several years I would not have quarrelled with you.

The more often you compare forecast with outcome, the more often you will see that the errors occur in both directions. This last few days is a case in point; many areas throughout the Alps got so much more snow than was forecast that it caused chaos. Snow forecast did predict lots of snow - just not quite as much as actually fell in many areas.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Based on all your suggestions and advice I have got some thin fleece balaclava and a box of hand and feet warmers. We already have silks for inside our gloves and neck buffs and given my other two sons are not skiing this year we have a load of spare layers we will take just in case the forecast is as cold as predicted.

If necessary we can be completely covered up so no exposed flesh.

I will report back on how accurate the forecast was 5 days ahead.

Thanks all.

Rob
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, sorry, didn’t realise my work was being marked.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it's proper cold another tip to add is: do not hold your ski poles by the metal on the chair lift. Holding a big, heat conducting, aluminum pole with your gloved hands is unwise. Tuck them under your legs and get them out in time for the top.
Unless they are carbon Razz
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@motdoc, On really cold days I use my touring poles with the added insulation on the shaft.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa wrote:
@motdoc, On really cold days I use my touring poles with the added insulation on the shaft.

On the shaft...or in the shaft (Brandy). Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy