Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon S/LAB Shift binding

Poster: A snowHead
@haigie, what is your weight? I believe (but could be wrong) that the 10 version is only for skiers up to 100kg so if your heavy my thinking is going to the 13. I can't find the reference but when looking for my daughter this came up..

@kitenski, I think my issue was using a different set of boots which were slightly out in toe pressure and AFD height. rookie mistake but it was a few years...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret wrote:
@haigie, what is your weight? I believe (but could be wrong) that the 10 version is only for skiers up to 100kg so if your heavy my thinking is going to the 13. I can't find the reference but when looking for my daughter this came up..

@kitenski, I think my issue was using a different set of boots which were slightly out in toe pressure and AFD height. rookie mistake but it was a few years...

Yea currently a bit over 100Kg, too scared to check the actual! (105-110Kg). I'd probably require higher than 10 DIN with this added weight as I was a fair bit lighter when skiing aggressively with DIN set to 10 on the STH2's.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey.

Another question for the collective - I went to use my shifts for the first time this season. Last time I skied them it was with my downhill boots and this time I wanted to tour so went to move the AFD down but it was stuck in the up position on one ski. Instead of moving it down, screwing anti-clockwise just unscrewed the screw, to the point where I could fully remove it.

Checking against the other ski, I can see there is some sort of washer that seems to hold the screw in place on the working binding which seems to be missing on the broken one. It was fine last time I used it, so must've broken/fallen off while skiing. Is this something that can be fixed? I asked a couple of ski shops in Aviemore and no one had a clue.

advice appreciated, as always!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Meltus, you need a replacement AFD. They're £17 + postage and I have them in stock. They're not on my website so to order just call me with your card details.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Jon, all,

Was wondering if there is a "new/improved" version on the horizon, a quick google doesn't find anything?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DTB wrote:
Hi Jon, all,

Was wondering if there is a "new/improved" version on the horizon, a quick google doesn't find anything?

Nope, no changes to the Shift for 23/24. If buying online be cautious of 'too cheap to be true' prices as they're most probably from a couple of seasons ago and don't have the revised to din window design.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all, I've cracked the heel plate (bit screwed onto the ski) of my shift bindings, I was wondering if anyone has a spare (i.e. the rest of the binding is broken so you have no use for a fully functioning base plate)? Salomon doesn't sell it as a spare part unfortunately.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sprocket909, get in contact with Jon http://thepisteoffice.com/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've already tried, he couldn't help because it's not a standard spare part Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AFD issues? Mounted my Shifts on new skis, they're three odd years old. I have zero clearance onto the AFD, it moves, but with resistance. Boots are Scott Cosmos which advise they're 9523 compliant. AFD is wound fully down, I've screwed it in and out and doesn't appear to be able to go lower.

Google mentions hanging up on the toe rollers, no, and I've cleaned up the toe, the sole is clean and appears as new. Pulled hard back on the boot to ensure it's fully up, no difference.

Any ideas?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Val Desire wrote:
AFD issues? Mounted my Shifts on new skis, they're three odd years old. I have zero clearance onto the AFD, it moves, but with resistance. Boots are Scott Cosmos which advise they're 9523 compliant. AFD is wound fully down, I've screwed it in and out and doesn't appear to be able to go lower.

Google mentions hanging up on the toe rollers, no, and I've cleaned up the toe, the sole is clean and appears as new. Pulled hard back on the boot to ensure it's fully up, no difference.

Any ideas?

@Val Desire, That's the perfect set-up as the Shift AFD should be just touching (& just my like Dynafit boots in my Shift) so you're good to go. Just make sure that your forward pressure is precisely set.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, Thanks Jon, I owe you a pint in VT. I'm happy to prefer your advice to Salomon's .5mm Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello, I don’t THINK this has been definitively answered here… Can anyone tell me exactly what the delta of the Shifts are with Gripwalk soles please? I know it’s somewhere between 2mm and 8mm, but an exact number is what I’m looking for and I can’t find it anywhere!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from the British ski test in La Clusaz, the new Shift appears to have a much improved AFD with an infinitely adjustable setting adjusted from the rear, rather than the side with random clicks, having mounted several sets of the older version and found the adjustment of said AFD to be somewhat counter-intuitive, this seems to be a welcome improvement!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just mounted some Shifts (not the newest version) and I found the AFD adjustment ok. I did lift the toe so it butts up against the toe piece before adjusting it though as I’d seen that on a video and that was a lot better than not doing it as it would have ended up being on the wrong setting.
ski holidays
@BlueSky, 2mm, I believe. I have some 2mm shims on order with @spyderjon, so hopefully they will solve that problem. It's a lot more if you use them with pure touring boot (AT?) soles.

@KenX, that sounds far more sensible!
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@BlueSky, 2mm, I believe. I have some 2mm shims on order with @spyderjon, so hopefully they will solve that problem. It's a lot more if you use them with pure touring boot (AT?) soles.

@KenX, that sounds far more sensible!

Cheers! That’s EXACTLY the answer I wanted. So therefore exactly the same as my Marker Alpinists with my touring boots.
latest report
Is the shift mk2 same hole pattern as mk1?
latest report
WASHOUT wrote:
Is the shift mk2 same hole pattern as mk1?

Same binding/mounting pattern with a few cosmetic tweaks that despite what Salomon say will make no practical difference. Biggest change, and the only good one, is the redesigned AFD adjustment to hopefully stop the clueless from setting them up incorrectly. And the different shape to the AFD will mean that if used with QK inserts then the rear toe screw spec will be different. And you can get them in pink. And they're dearer.

Original Shift will be still be available with no price increase so that'll be where the smart money goes.
ski holidays
Glad I bought the original Shift the other week then!
ski holidays
Cheers Jon. My bindings must be pushing 5 years old now so was wondering if time for a replacement. Think will just work away with old ones for just now.
ski holidays
Request for snowhead experience on shift binding failure. Just returned from trip, where I had one ski binding fail to lock in uphill position on multiple occasions over 4 days of touring. Just the one binding and made no difference which boot. Lever pulls up to lock pins, holds for a second of two, before flicking down again. Subzero conditions. Had to resort to urinating on binding at each transition which allowed it to lock once thawed. The touring involved up to a dozen transitions a day so soon ran out of wee, and had to resort to cable ties and then wire to hold lever in skinning position, which was a big faf and maybe not safe. The binding thawed and drained of water/wee between days out. Anyone experienced this, suggest a cause?
snow report
couloirjack wrote:
Request for snowhead experience on shift binding failure. Just returned from trip, where I had one ski binding fail to lock in uphill position on multiple occasions over 4 days of touring. Just the one binding and made no difference which boot. Lever pulls up to lock pins, holds for a second of two, before flicking down again. Subzero conditions. Had to resort to urinating on binding at each transition which allowed it to lock once thawed. The touring involved up to a dozen transitions a day so soon ran out of wee, and had to resort to cable ties and then wire to hold lever in skinning position, which was a big faf and maybe not safe. The binding thawed and drained of water/wee between days out. Anyone experienced this, suggest a cause?

How old are the bindings? Have you had the the clear plastic (think over the toe DIN dial) changed?
My friend had a similar problem and went into a ski shop to get the bindings checked. They told him that there had been a recall and there was a little fix. It sounds like a bodge but the clear plastic pieces were swapped for ones with little nodules on the side that provide some resistance to the levers falling back
ski holidays
Bindings about 5 years old, though not used during covid obviously. Thanks for tip, I will investigate.
snow conditions
@jedster, I think those new covers are meant to stop it popping up, vs the OP has a problem keeping it up Wink

Also not sure it's a recall, more a spare part that can be changed? @spyderjon, sourced me a set for not many £s http://thepisteoffice.com/
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@jedster, I think those new covers are meant to stop it popping up, vs the OP has a problem keeping it up Wink

Also not sure it's a recall, more a spare part that can be changed? @spyderjon, sourced me a set for not many £s http://thepisteoffice.com/

The Shift toe din windows with the bumps either side are to stop the tour lever dropping down/out of lock. This was a very rare issue so wasn't a recall but an in production change for the Shifts third season of sales. I have a couple pairs of the revised din windows in stock.
snow report
Great could you send me a pair. Please let me know purchase route. Problem solved hopefully
snow report
@couloirjack, give him a ring, contact info on the link I posted above
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:

Original Shift will be still be available with no price increase so that'll be where the smart money goes.

I think I read somewhere that there will be a higher climbing bar on the new Shift too? Guess it depends where you skin, but with the skintracks around here that would be VERY welcome. And I guess also v welcome for anyone shimming their toes, as there’s really not much rise to give up on the current gen.
ski holidays
Just purchased a pair of Fischer Ranger 102's to replace the pair of 98's I have been skiing on for several seasons and are now a little past their best. Paired them with some (Atomic branded) Shifts and given they are 102 skis, spent ages wrangling over the 100mm vs 110mm brake. This thread plus many others suggested that the brakes are around 10mm wider than the named width so in the end plumped for the 100mm brakes. Skis weren't in stock in many places in my length so purchased online.

They have arrived and bindings are mounted at the recommended point. Interestingly, the skis seem to flare out somewhat from the to-sheet to the base and of course, the heel piece is mounted behind the waist of the ski, I measure the base at around 109mm at the mount point. The brakes just about clear the edge of the skis there and the edge doesn't stop them deploying from what I can tell but they can catch when moving from the locked to downward position.

I'm not keen to have brakes much wider than the skis as I often ski with the skis quite close together and even with the old pair, the brakes could touch from time to time. Is the best option to be resigned to replacing the brakes with the 110mm version (which I assume are about 10mm wider than these ones) or is there a good way of permanently bending them outwards slightly to fully clear the edge of the skis? Pictures below which might illustrate the point:

snow conditions
@DrNo, you have the correct brake width. Simply take a craft knife and cut a small bevel on the plastic feet of the brake levers where they contact the top sheet/sidewall junction when deploying. This should have been done by whoever mounted the bindings.

You'll also need to correctly and precisely adjust the forward pressure to your boot.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, great, thanks for that advice, will try that.

I don’t have the boots in the same place as the skis at the moment but checking the interface is the next task on the list before next season!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy