Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon S/LAB Shift binding

Poster: A snowHead
If anyone here has ordered a Quiver Killer screw set from me for Shifts please check the length of the protrusion from the underside of the heel base plates. My first delivery of Shifts that arrived a couple of months ago needed 16mm flat head screws but the delivery that arrived yesterday appear to have slightly deeper countersunk recesses in the heel plates meaning that the 16mm screws protrude 6.75mm which is likely to be a bit too long, depending if the inserts in your skis are recessed at all. If that's the case give me a call and I'll send you some 14mm replacements out.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had the chance to fondle these in a local shop (not given them any more cash after i realised they sold me ski boots 2 sizes to big) yesterday and thought the shifts where a bit to much plastic?? Currently ski vist 614 which prob doesn't help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IIRC the 'plastic' is carbon fibre reinforced polyamide so pretty high tech but yes, compared to 614's they're appear pretty flimsy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WASHOUT wrote:
I had the chance to fondle these in a local shop (not given them any more cash after i realised they sold me ski boots 2 sizes to big) yesterday and thought the shifts where a bit to much plastic?? Currently ski vist 614 which prob doesn't help.

There are some pretty tasty skiers putting them through their paces so unless you’re Jeremie Heitz or Giant Haystacks I’m sure you’ll be fine
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are still on the want list but sneaking closer to the need list Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied them for the first time the other day. Didn't notice any difference to an alpine binding, didn't think about them at all really other than to note that they were easier to clip in than marker bindings. The brakes tend to get stuck together when you're carrying the skis bases together which is mildly annoying.

Is there a guide anywhere for adjusting them to different boot lengths? My touring boots are longer than my alpine boots...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Meltus wrote:
....Is there a guide anywhere for adjusting them to different boot lengths? My touring boots are longer than my alpine boots...

The forward pressure adjustment and the toe height adjustment are fully detailed in the instruction sheet that came with the binding.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Set mine yesterday and got to say, though I didn't have any trouble doing it, the diagrams aren't the clearest.

@Meltus, I also found the brakes seem to get inextricably locked together. The inner shoulder of the plastic on the brake might get trimmer/chamfered if it keeps happening.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, same problem with skis locking together as described above. I literally have to bend back the brakes on each side every time to separate them. Any recommendations?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And me too, left me cursing each time I had to separate my skis this weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The brake levers locking together have been a Salomon 'feature' for years. If it bothers you then adi's solution of a bit of Stanley knife chamfering-off of the square corners is the only fix.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If anyone's using their Shifts with inserts I've got all the brake widths is stock. 120mm crampons are in stock but the 100mm keep getting delayed - latest news is that they're due in to Salomons warehouse on the 19th so hopefully I should get them between Xmas and New Year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, wouldn't have thought crampons were really necessary this time of year, for the most part, that is?

That said two or so weeks back we did get Spring snow conditions but for the others, I've done this season absolutely no need.

If at this time of year you do need them then that would point to conditions off-piste being abysmal!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, please keep a set of 100mm for me ready for next trip

@weathercam if you haven't got them you will definatley need them at some point !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dabber, you're already on my list.
snow report
Bit like umbrellas.................
ski holidays
@KenX, not necessarily as I suspect that a fair % of Shift bindings sold will never actually see much arduous climbing, indeed if any climbing at all Laughing
snow report
@Weathercam, highly likely your right , but for those of us that do enjoy a walk uphill , crampons are always in my pack , just spent a couple of weeks in whistler , where lots of people on shifts are talking about trying touring for the first time , which as my son is starting work as an fully qualified mtn guide , is good for business Very Happy , and they are also all signing up for ast 1 / 2 courses which is good for safety .
Also not sure the walk needs to be “arduous “ at all
ski holidays
@Weathercam, do people actually buy touring gear and then not tour on it? I have never known anyone do this.
ski holidays
I am eyeing them up as i was in whistler a few weeks ago and this (touring set up) would have opened up so much area, up to this point I have never really considered touring.
When I do try it I may find out it's not for me, but I have still good bindings that I may just use for alpine (obviously offload skins etc).
ski holidays
@gorilla, trust me they do, and many a Scandi.

As an aside/antithesis to the Shift I've gone totally the other way.

I've mounted Marker F10s on my new second pair of BC Atris, my other Atris have Tectons.

Logic strategy being is that I want a setup which is essentially 90% off-piste but that I ski in my downhill Alpine boots (with walk mode FWIW) and should I need to (OH gets stuck/looses a ski etc) can still climb, as for me at least, and could be my age, skiing off-piste hard and fast chopped up snow etc etc it's far easier in downhill boots.

But then I'm not restricted to just one pair of boots etc so I'm not the norm as it were
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
The brake levers locking together have been a Salomon 'feature' for years. If it bothers you then adi's solution of a bit of Stanley knife chamfering-off of the square corners is the only fix.

That ain’t no feature. It’s nigh on impossible to separate them! What a Be Nice please!?!?!
latest report
@Weathercam, 2 pairs of Atris? There’s better skis out there... But i’m with you on Alpine boots for off piste downhill precision
snow report
@BobinCH, there was some logic to another pair, not least last day of the season shop owner could not resist €300 folding Laughing

And I already had the skins......

It is amazing can ski waist deep powder soft touring boots all day, get me on chopped up inter piste / heavy powder on fat skis skiing back down into resort same set up and leg burn, with alpine boots hardly an issue.

Think this will be my last season with the MTN lab boot as now they are showing signs of wear, so will keep an eye on what the 2019/2020 boots will be, though will probably go Scott, especially with the issue of the Tectons and MTN lab.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, the newest version of the Tecton/Vipec toe has a lower bump pad to decrease the issue, apparently the old style is grindeable........
snow conditions
@KenX, sssshshhhhhhh I need new boots Toofy Grin

Actually, you saw something was not right with my boots and the original Vipecs that I have on my Scott Powdairs, Elaine's boots do not have the same issue, either with hers or my skis.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 19-12-18 10:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

do people actually buy touring gear and then not tour on it? I have never known anyone do this

Guilty! I have Marker frame bindings but haven't gotten round to using them uphill yet. I bought them as a means to access better snow, but the last time I was in Italy there was so much snow and so little competition for it I didn't need them. I fully intend to use them at some point though. I suspect I'm not alone as a 2 week holidayer who likes to hedge their bets.
snow report
@element, I know from the various people I've spoken to who have seen us skinning back up to the lift and have asked questions as to where we've been etc and they have tech boots and touring skis, but for instance never bought skins.

Scott at Edge and Wax confirmed as much to me when I asked him about his clientele a good four or five years ago.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, a slight chamfer on the inner edge of the plastic does cure the "design feature". Doesn't need much taking off... and the bread knife will do if you can't find a Stanley knife.
snow report
@adithorp, cheers

@BobinCH,

Just trimmed mine up and now no issues , doesn’t need much off at all
ski holidays
Re Spare Toe Studs
I'd say approx 30 out of the 50 odd Shift mounts I've done so have have been done with inserts so I figured I'd best order some spare studs as it won't be long before I get a call from someone saying they've lost one. They come in pairs including the staked-in regular mounting screw but Amer have said that they won't be available until mid/end Feb.

So if you're using inserts do NOT lose a toe stud - or at least not for a couple of months!
snow conditions
Re: 100mm Crampons Update
Just received the tracking number from Amer meaning they've booked the delivery to me with their carrier but with the Xmas/New Year Bank Holidays it'll be the first week of January when I get them - but at least they're finally on there way!
snow report
@spyderjon, wicked news , just booked a cheeky trip to Austria in late jan , so will be sorted snowHead
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Just received the tracking number from Amer meaning they've booked the delivery to me with their carrier but with the Xmas/New Year Bank Holidays it'll be the first week of January when I get them - but at least they're finally on there way!

Would you add a set to my little parcel? Hopefully the skis won't be long.
snow report
Tom Doc wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Would you add a set to my little parcel? Hopefully the skis won't be long.

Tom Doc, will do, if I haven't already. Skis were due to leave the WD factory today, just waiting on the tracking details etc.
snow conditions
Re Atomic Hawx Boot with the Shift binding
There's an issue with the Hawx boot when trying to set the toe height on the Shift due to the edge of the vibram rubber sole fouling the black AFD housing on the binding thus preventing the smooth AFD panel on the boot sitting directly on the white sliding AFD of the binding.

Here's the area that catches:

And here's the 10 second solution with a razor blade which sorts the problem so that the boot sole contacts the AFD in the correct place and the toe height can be adjusted correctly:

snow conditions
many thanks to @spyderjon, am now the proud owner of the first set of 100mm shift crampons probably in Europe , joking aside get your orders in now as these are a rare beast atm Toofy Grin
snow report
Having skied on them this week (only in alpine mode) a couple of observations...
The pressure required to click in is feels very easy which makes life a lot simpler when off piste than the f10's on my other skis.
Avoid clearing snow/ice from your boots on the toe binding as it can flick it into touring mode.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
I notice the DIN starts at 6. Is this the normal range for pin bindings? (I'd set a 6 in a pinch, but no higher.)

Nope.

Remember that this isn't a pin binding when in downhill mode, it's an alpine binding. In uphill mode the pins are locked on to the boot toe and your heel is free as no release is wanted as the brakes are locked up.

They'll launch 'em first for the gnarly freeride touring market so 6-13 is for that sector but then they'll do a 4-11/12 version.

Having read this thread, Spyderjon, what is the likelihood of the lower DIN setting Salomon Shift/ Atomic being introduced next year? Salomon Shift seemed a safe option for me as release is a priority as I have one partial knee-replacement and am new to ski touring. Hi Scarlet, did you find an alternative or are you waiting? Cool <60kg female long-time lurker but seldom poster
snow conditions
Oceanfalls wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
I notice the DIN starts at 6. Is this the normal range for pin bindings? (I'd set a 6 in a pinch, but no higher.)

Nope.

Remember that this isn't a pin binding when in downhill mode, it's an alpine binding. In uphill mode the pins are locked on to the boot toe and your heel is free as no release is wanted as the brakes are locked up.

They'll launch 'em first for the gnarly freeride touring market so 6-13 is for that sector but then they'll do a 4-11/12 version.

Having read this thread, Spyderjon, what is the likelihood of the lower DIN setting Salomon Shift/ Atomic being introduced next year? Salomon Shift seemed a safe option for me as release is a priority as I have one partial knee-replacement and am new to ski touring. Hi Scarlet, did you find an alternative or are you waiting? Cool <60kg female long-time lurker but seldom poster

There's strong rumours in the trade of a lower din version and Cody Townsend (Salomon Pro rider and Shift flag flyer) recently posted on TGR that they will. It's the annual trade show in less than two weeks so I'll find out the full details during my appointment with Salomon UK then.

Be cautious of the "alpine binding" safety claims of the Shift/Fritschi Evo & Tecton as lateral release at the toe is preferable to mitigate against tib/tib fractures but a lateral release at the heel is preferable to mitigate soft tissue injuries - so if you already have a knee issue I'd be looking at a Dynafit Radical 2 ST/Rotation ST (4-10 din) that has both lateral & vertical release in its heel combined with a rotating toe to give the eleasticity that the fixed tech toe designs don't give. The alpine binding manufacturers have been complicit over the years in basically ignoring the ACL/MCL injuries as their products are designed to protect against tib/fib fractures. The only binding specifically designed to mitigate against knee injuries is the KneeBinding alpine binding that has the usual alpine binding lateral release in the toe and vertical release in the heel but then it has an additional straight lateral release mode in the heel, which is what's required to protect the knee/soft tissues. And the nearest current tech binding to that is Dynafit Radical 2/Rotation. The Dynafit Beast 14 also does it and that goes down to 5 din and it's a fantastic binding but it's now discontinued and although the last ones are being sold off dirt cheap it's quite a lot heavier than the Rad 2 and doesn't have a true flat tour mode.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy