Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do so many Competition Pistes include the name 'Kandahar'

Poster: A snowHead
and what does it mean ?

Apologies if this has been done before, but having watched much more ski racing than ever this season - it has cropped up on a number of occasions.

Thanks for your help
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timberwolf: do a search on 'Lord Roberts of Kandahar' and all will be revealed!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith,

You couldn't remember exactly why either then...? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, didn't help me at all! Revealed little about skiing and more than I wanted to know about Afghanistan.

So...

In 1911 when he founded the worlds first ever "downhill" ski race, Sir Arnold Lunn (as in Lunn-Poly, honest) named it after Field Marshal Earl Roberts of Kandahar.

Later, in 1924 when he and some chums founded a ski club in Mürren to develop ski racing they called it the Kandahar Ski Club.

The Arlberg-Kandahar Combined DH and Slalom, was founded in 1928 By Sir Arnold and Hannes Schneider, investor of the Arlberg method. It is still on the World Cup circuit alternating between Chamonix (two weekends ago although cancelled cos of weather) and (I think) St Anton. In its day, this was one of the most prestigious circuits with events in Muerren, Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Sestriere, Italy. Hence presumably the references this week in Sestriere.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch wrote:
David Goldsmith, didn't help me at all! Revealed little about skiing and more than I wanted to know about Afghanistan.

So...

In 1911 when he founded the worlds first ever "downhill" ski race, Sir Arnold Lunn (as in Lunn-Poly, honest) named it after Field Marshal Earl Roberts of Kandahar.

Later, in 1924 when he and some chums founded a ski club in Mürren to develop ski racing they called it the Kandahar Ski Club.

The Arlberg-Kandahar Combined DH and Slalom, was founded in 1928 By Sir Arnold and Hannes Schneider, investor of the Arlberg method. It is still on the World Cup circuit alternating between Chamonix (two weekends ago although cancelled cos of weather) and (I think) St Anton. In its day, this was one of the most prestigious circuits with events in Muerren, Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Sestriere, Italy. Hence presumably the references this week in Sestriere.

Very interesting, I didn't know that. Any particular reason why Lunn would want to honour Kandahar?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Any particular reason why Lunn would want to honour Kandahar?

It was in recognition of a military victory in Kandahar in southern Afghanistan.

See here - an interesting history of this event - kandahar

There is a museum in St Anton devoted to the Hannes Schneider and his methods and history of skiing. It is just outside the centre of the town and worth a visit but check opening times.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hibernia, excellent link, thanks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic responses, Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, It was the 'Relief of Kandahar' (City) during the Afghan War and Roberts winning the Victoria Cross during the Indian Mutiny, which led in part to the honour of naming the race after him, the 1st Earl Roberts of Kandahar.

Lunn was actually born in India when Roberts was Commander of All Forces India. Perhaps he was a boyhood hero of Lunn? In any event Roberts was one of the earliest ski race 'Sponsors' - it was he who actually donated the first Kandahar Cup to Lunn. Thus, I presume the cup was named in his honour.

A potted description of 'The' Kandahar There is also a Quebec Kandahar (Check out the winning times between 1931 and 1936!- Are there others Timberwolf?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Are there others Timberwolf?

So, as far as I can remember this season....

Garmisch ?
Chamonix
Sestriere

I'll do some more research tomorrow !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe 'Kandahar' is becoming the generic name for a type of ski race? Some of the racing experts may be able to shed some light here....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC, it's historical rather then "becoming" I think...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The "Kandahar" Club still organizes the Inferno race in Murren in Jan. Well worth entering Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Arlberg Kandahar has been held out of Europe once
Anyone know where?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bmiles, welcome to snowHead s, and congratulations on what must be in the running for most eccentric first post Laughing
latest report
bmiles, Welcome to Snowheads. in 1971, the Arlberg Kandahar was apparently held in MUrren, which was in europe last time I looked...

although a Combined was also held in sugarloaf. Do I win a prize?
latest report
No, Sorry
The Burgermeister from St Anton actually came to Sugarloaf and presented the trophy for the Arlberg Kandahar.
There was not much snow in Europe that year.
I have the pic and press clipping in a scrapbook.
Can you confirm the Murren race?
Maybe there were two that year?

Eccentric?
snow report
NBT
Well, did you do your homework to back up your claim that the the 71 Arlberg Kandahar was "apparently' in Murren
which was in the Jungfrau region "last time I looked'
snow report
snow report
Chris Nothing there refutes my claim that it was held at Sugarloaf in 1971
Brief history
Lunn added the Kandahar in honor of Lord Roberts of Kandahar, the hero of the British raj who distinguished himself in a battle during the relief of Kandahar in southern Afghanistan in 1879. In 1911, Roberts donated a magnificent trophy for the race organized by Lunn, on 19 January that year, from the Glacier de la Plaine Morte to the hotels and chalets of Crans-Montana. And it was called the Roberts of Kandahar challenge.
Thus was born, in the Arlberg, one of the most majestic skiing terrains, the Arlberg-Kandahar race.
Inaugurated in St. Anton, the Arlberg-Kandahar was to be alternately run there in Mürren, where Lunn had made one of his homes. In 1938 it was once again St. Anton’s turn to host the race. But, a few days before the events, Nazi Germany Annexed Austria and the Gestapo arrested
snow conditions
Also

Sestriere has strong tradition to ski racing. Its demanding slopes soon drew competitive skiers and in the 1950's the Arlberg-Kandahar Committee included the modern resort in their racing tour along with St Anton, Murren, Chamonix and Garmisch-Partenkirchen. In 1967 the first World Cup circuit staged a two downhills for women and men on the difficult Banchetta slope. More competitions were held in Sestriere until 1971 when it pulled out of the International circuit, cutting its ties with the traditional Alberg-Kandahar serie.
ski holidays
bmiles, sorry, been away for a while. Can't remember where I found the list offhand - I just spent ten minutes or so on Google.
latest report
Heh.. first time I heard "Kandahar" from my German friend as I was asking "where's the next race". For a while I though "are they really going to ski in Afganistan.." Smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kandahar
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy