Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Regular climbing skins on fat skis ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'd like to get a pair of new/used fat skis to get more floatation when moving in the backcountry and in alpine terrain/steep slopes.
I have a pair of skins with tip and tail clips for the skis I use, which are however of average width.

Should I get fatter skins for fatter skis? I've read around and seems like I should, however it doesn't make much sense in my head because I see no reason for same skin surface area that holds my weight on the thinner skis not to do the same on wider skis, since that same surface would be pressed again the snow anyhow.
I'd like to hear your personal experiences.

Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The skins need to be adjacent to the edges so the only way a narrow skin will work is to cut it down the centre (leaving a bit at the tip'n'tail uncut) so that the newly created stips can be moved/applied at the edges. The design/type of the tip & tail bails can either help or hinder this.

You dont state the width of the skis & your skins but I don't thing I'd want more than a third of the width of the base uncovered.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see, thank you. I didn't think edges coverage was that important because I always visualized the flat ski underside with the glued skin on (also slightly sticking out due to its thickness) creating friction.
My skin is 75mm wide, I was thinking about looking for a pair of 90-100mm waist wide skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alfredo, If you are only ever skinning on gentle slopes or on an existing skin track, then you probably won't notice the lack of edge cover, but if you are traversing a slope on harder snow, the edge cover is vital as maybe only a third or half of the skin width if providing grip. So if the skins don't reach the edge, you'll only have minimal grip.

The other option is to consider slitting the skins lengthwise (not entirely) so that you can get full edge grip with the same skin surface area.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PowderAdict wrote:
@alfredo, If you are only ever skinning on gentle slopes or on an existing skin track, then you probably won't notice the lack of edge cover, but if you are traversing a slope on harder snow, the edge cover is vital as maybe only a third or half of the skin width if providing grip. So if the skins don't reach the edge, you'll only have minimal grip.

I totally agree.

There was another thread on this topic quite recently. A couple of years ago I hired wide skis and skins. Our guide looked at the skins and after a bit of concern thought they should be just about OK. However the snow was harder than he was expecting and on the corners I was slipping back and off the track. I had to use a lot of brute force and energy to get around and after a three hour climb I was well off the pace and a bit knackered for the descent.

It's when you need the extra grip the most that you will realise the difference.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy