Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many layers for kids to wear in January - Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I feel a bit daft posting this, but just would like some advice. We are going skiing in January to Pila. The question is how many layers for the kids to wear? We normally go in early March and do base, mid and jacket, plus neck warmer which is fine. But January I expect to be colder.

Is a roll neck the next layer to add over base layer. Or a zip up fleece or body warmer over the mid layer? They have leggings to wear under salopettes.

Balaclavas?

Any advice greatly received. Most of the kids ski wear is trespass or Aldi so functional but not highly spec'd.

Thanks 🎅🏻❄️
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hils68, it is reasonable to expect somewhat colder weather, but it’s not set in stone.

So having an additional layer available would be prudent.

Do any kids like balaclavas? Maybe a super lightweight one so it fits comfortably under the helmets.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Super lightweight balaclava is great. I have several - wear them under cycling helmet on cold days, too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for speedy reply. We have balaclavas which I thought would be okay but maybe they are too thick as they are standard fleece ones.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hils68, are your base layers merino wool? We'd go long sleeve merino base wool layer for my kids, long sleeve 2nd layer and fleece on cold days vs T shirt + long sleeve on top in March.

Also thin inner gloves are good if that doesn't make the outer gloves too tight.

Take some disposal hand warmers with you, very useful to shove in trouser pockets, inside jackets, inside gloves or in gondolas etc etc
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have tried merino wool before and they found it too itchy. ( think it was mountain warehouse). Current base layer is polyester plus bit of elastacine which they are okay with. Good idea with inner gloves and yes to hand warmers. Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh yes, inner gloves a good idea. I always carry a pair. Take up zero space.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Base layer, mid (fleece etc), and insulated jacket should be fine. My son was wearing nothing more in -20C. But baliclava was essential then for potential frost bite. And we only stayed out for 1 hour stints before stopping to warm up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A second base layer works for me, I use a base T then a zipped roll neck so it can be opened up if it's too hot, you can also strip off a layer and bung it in a pocket. If it's really cold a thin fleece top is good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are a few, "it depends."
- Age of the kids
- How good/active they are
- Whether they generally feel the cold

We always erred on the safe side, so brought extra layers, in case.

- I found that Trespass made decent enough kids stuff.
- As said above...look after the extremities....snoods/scarves/balaclavas; decent quality Mitts and Glove Liners (with cheaper ones for playing about in the snow, so the good ones don't get sodden); avoid cheap socks with no warmth.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheaper merino does seem to itch. The other think to keep an eye out in the sales is cold base layers, Under Armour do they as one example. The inside is a little bit furry so traps warm body air better....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hils68, +1 for advice above. A couple of optional items, both light & cheap, in case weather gets really cold and/or snowy.
Skull cap for beneath helmet. Cycling suppliers do them for about £5-£10.
Neoprene face mask. About £5-£8. Great on very cold days, especially on long chairlift rides.
Both easy to take off and put on as needed. Take hardly any space in pockets. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I was a kid, I HATE the many layers my parents put on me. Inevitably, they all bunched up inside the jacket. Leaving me cold in the tommy or waist, but sweating round chest...

Even as an adult, I keep my layering to 3: base for comfort, mid for insulation/warm, jacket for wind/snow/ice repellent.

I change the thickness of my mid layer to achieve optimal warmth. I do have one insulated jacket, which I use without mid-layer. I suppose on seriously cold days, it can be paired with a mid-layer also for maximum warmth. But I never found my body not warm enough to need that.

It’s my hands and feet that tend to feel cold on really cold days. Nice gloves/mitten, with well fitting helmets works wonders. Just make sure the little ones have them on with the “interface” (edges) fully covered so wind (and snow) don’t leak in.

(Disclaimer: I’m not a parent, though I instruct, mostly kids. The most frequent complaint are cold hands. Though oddly enough, often times once I adjusted their helmet/collar/neck gaiter interface to stop the wind from getting in, the little ones hands warm up Puzzled )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all, shall invest in roll top, inner gloves and some kind of snood / cap and hope it snows! ⛄️
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hils68 wrote:
Thank you all, shall invest in roll top, inner gloves and some kind of snood / cap and hope it snows! ⛄️

Get them mittens if it is cold they are warmer than gloves. especially if worn with thin inners
snow conditions
abc wrote:
The most frequent complaint are cold hands. Though oddly enough, often times once I adjusted their helmet/collar/neck gaiter interface to stop the wind from getting in, the little ones hands warm up Puzzled )

When I went to an outdoor shop many years ago and said I needed thick gloves as I was going to the Siberian winter, they told me if I kept my body core temp up then blood wouldn't be withdrawn from the hands so I wouldn't need such thick gloves. It's worked for me.
snow conditions
@Orange200, Very true.

@ the OP try searching for a flash vest, we've got the Western Mountaineering version and they're great. Not the most flattering fashion statement but they work very well at keeping the core warm.
snow conditions
latest report
@homers double, a WM flash vest for the kids? That's a bit "flash Harry"!

We do one thin thermal, one thick one, then insulated jacket with a fleece under if its really cold. In addition, we find chemical handwarmers (bulk buy on amazon or costco) are indispensable as is a buff.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
abc wrote:
The most frequent complaint are cold hands. Though oddly enough, often times once I adjusted their helmet/collar/neck gaiter interface to stop the wind from getting in, the little ones hands warm up Puzzled )

When I went to an outdoor shop many years ago and said I needed thick gloves as I was going to the Siberian winter, they told me if I kept my body core temp up then blood wouldn't be withdrawn from the hands so I wouldn't need such thick gloves. It's worked for me.

Good points to remember!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy