Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resorts for January Skiing - nervous beg / intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
@Pasigal, I’ve literally just started my pre skiing exercise regime (if u can call it that today) lunges and squats aplenty
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alpe d'Huez and Masterclass ski school - good with nervous skiers.

Serre Chevalier and instruction from Gavin Crosby, Darren Turner or other instructors recommended here.

With the right instruction, many resorts will open up to you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Think La Plagne is edging it over all other places given size and number of cruisy blues. Have found an amazing deal for a new luxury chalet at 449 pp but it's in Montchavin part of La plagne. Would you recommend staying here or is it better to have a less nice chalet and stay higher up? Thanks!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@karen_globalhelpswap, I’ve not stayed in Montchavin but I suspect it’s a bit quieter than Centre. Skiing wise you have to start the day with uplift, I don’t mind that but some people do. The benefit is a nice long home run at the end of the day when it’s quiet.

I stayed in Les Coches a few years ago and really enjoyed the ski home. The Pierres Blanche piste was a bit easier IMO (there’s a bit near the top of Mont Blanc that can get a bit hard, the rest of it is fine once you’re below the top of the Plan Bois lift).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh and I skied there my first week on skis and got around the resort okay Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@karen_globalhelpswap, sorry, I'm late to this thread, but used to be in the running for the award for world's most nervous skier. I've had very good private instruction in various places, but one of the best was Bruno Chavard at Evolution2 in Montchavin. You'd be very lucky to get Bruno himself (it was the last week of the season when we were there, and he was recommended by a friend and just happened to be available) but the whole team there get excellent reviews.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Amazing! So I might just go for this one. The chalet looks soo amazing I was really hoping Montchavin would be ok.

@sj1608, Thanks for the recommendation - will definitely look him up as I want to get some lessons this year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@karen_globalhelpswap, one other thing I just thought of is that many ski instructors assume that everyone wants technical progression. When you're nervous it's much more about learning to feel comfortable than learning something new technically. My OH sussed this out and would always tell the instructor 'if she's smiling when she comes back you succeeded, if she's not smiling then you failed'. I think this sometimes took the pressure off of them to 'make progression' and helped them focus on dealing with my lack of confidence.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would not consider Montchavin the best place for a nervous/beginner intermediate in January. It might be icy on the home runs..you would be better off staying higher up if you want to go to la plagne. I think there are better resorts all round such as my recommendations earlier in the thread.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@karen_globalhelpswap, I would consider Montchavin/Les Coches a good area for someone wanting to ski both La Plagne and Les Arc due to it being the location of the cable car that links the 2 areas.

The main blue run down to Montchavin is Mont Blanc, it gets very busy and can be very icy at the end of the day and if I was beginner it would make me very nervous. When I stayed in Les Coches, I avoided the lower part by going on the Coches red run.

I would recommend you go higher if you want a good home run.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 20-12-17 17:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowymum, Thanks for the warning. Ok so Montchavin is out. I've also looked at Les Carroz and Montgenevre - and I get the sense that for what's important to me - long cruising blues and travelling from one place to another (vs skiing same piste) la plagne has more to offer. I don't really mind ugly resorts as I dont really go out in the evening and spend all my days on the slopes. But maybe I've got it wrong.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
karen_globalhelpswap wrote:
@snowymum, Thanks for the warning. Ok so Montchavin is out. I've also looked at Les Carroz and Montgenevre - and I get the sense that for what's important to me - long cruising blues and travelling from one place to another (vs skiing same piste) la plagne has more to offer. I don't really mind ugly resorts as I dont really go out in the evening and spend all my days on the slopes. Oh and real snow is hugely important as I get really nervous skiing on the fake stuff.But maybe I've got it wrong.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RichardB, that’s why I said to avoid Mont Blanc and go down Pierre Blanche instead, it’s a gentler run and ends up in the same place. I did it on my third or fourth day skiing and really enjoyed it, although it was early morning in late March so conditions might have been different to what you’d expect in January....it was still bloody cold though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@karen_globalhelpswap, I've stayed in Montchavin once and Les Coches lots of times. Montchavin is a really nice old town and has a really nice feel to it. The only slight thing is that it's position on the mountain side and because the buildings are quite tightly packed it can seem a bit dark. But eh, you will be out skiing all day and in the evening it's dark anyway right! As mentioned above it's ideally placed if you want to get a Paradiski ski pass and go to Les Arcs some days.

Regarding the homebound slopes. First off, last season was really poor so slopes in most resorts were not great. This season (touch wood) is looking much much better. And so, in general, you should find things easier. This particular applies if you are going in January because the recent snow should hold up but things may change later in the season. The homebound slopes or indeed the piste over to the Vanoise Express have their moments, even the easier ones but overall I would wager you would be fine. Especially if you having lessons. We have been going there with our kids from quite a young age as indication and it's never been an issue. Also bear in mind you would only be skiing there when heading back, most of the day you will be out in the domain and choosing runs as you see fit.

One extra good reason for being in Montchavin is if the weather is bad and visibility is poor you have skiing in the trees on your doorstep and you don't have to go to the upper slopes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For what it is worth I have my effectively 'sent' my eldest Daughter and her husband to Cervinia. She is a returning skier but he is an absolute beginner. After 40 years of sking it was the best I could think of. They are going January 6th. Cervinia is high, and winds do not to my knowledge effect it more in Jan than any other time. Great easy, long blues for progressive learning allied to some of the best mountain restaurants, plus if up to it at the end of the week nipping over to Switzerland. Much better than Les Carroz, which I have been to a number of times also. snowHead
snow conditions
karen_globalhelpswap wrote:
@snowymum, Thanks for the warning. Ok so Montchavin is out. I've also looked at Les Carroz and Montgenevre - and I get the sense that for what's important to me - long cruising blues and travelling from one place to another (vs skiing same piste) la plagne has more to offer. I don't really mind ugly resorts as I dont really go out in the evening and spend all my days on the slopes. But maybe I've got it wrong.

I think you would be ok in la plagne if you stay more centrally in the ski area. The cruisy slopes are higher up.

I've been skiing over 25 years and never tire of the Grand Massif. It isn't as big as paradiski but it is a beautiful ski area with lovely mountain restaurants and feels a bit more French than the tarentaise resorts. The pistes are mainly wide and and cruisy and the lift system has been upgraded a lot in the past few years.

Montgenevre/Claviere would have enough to keep you happy for a week. The reds in Claviere are not hard and some might be classed as blue in France. We are self driving when we next go in order to spend a day in Serre Chevalier or Sestriere. Only drawback of Montgenevre in my opinion is that there aren't so many mountain restaurants on the French side. However les terrasses on the chalvet side is fantastic.
ski holidays
snowymum wrote:
I would not consider Montchavin the best place for a nervous/beginner intermediate in January. It might be icy on the home runs..you would be better off staying higher up if you want to go to la plagne. I think there are better resorts all round such as my recommendations earlier in the thread.

It definitely can be and probably has been most of the time the last few seasons. But it isn't always, and in a good season such as this one is shaping up to be, I wouldn't be worried about it all all.

RichardB wrote:
The main blue run down to Montchavin is Mont Blanc, it gets very busy and can be very icy at the end of the day and if I was beginner it would make me very nervous. When I stayed in Les Coches, I avoided the lower part by going on the Coches red run.
I would recommend you go higher if you want a good home run.

Whilst it can get busy in the French holiday, in mid-January it is nearly deserted.
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I did not read your post about the Mont Blanc run, sorry about that. Embarassed
snow conditions
We've decided on Belle Plagne in the end. Found a fab deal on Sunweb for Les Balcons de Belle plagne. They offer a 1 bedroom apartment (not a studio) with spa and ski lifts for 2 for £1008. The apartment on its own is on for 1186 euros. Pretty chuffed Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy