Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussois ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are relative beginners, looking to book a last minute-ish low cost driving trip, to a french resort with plenty of blues.

We are planning to go during the UK Feb half term and currently leaning towards aussois.

I wondered if anybody has any first hand experience of aussois ? In particular we are interested in the practicalities ie ease of journey down, availability of accommodation/proximity to resort, ski storage etc.

Also, in leaning towards aussois, are we missing any obvious alternatives?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've been skiing the end of that valley, Maurienne, regularly over the last 3 years.

Staying only in Val Cenis but slowly connecting the dots by skiing the accompanying areas, this is one we've yet to ski on. Driving back from Valfrejus last year we went to look at Aussois as we'd like to try it.

Village is reasonable size and made up of principally accommodation, all seemed to be connected by shuttle bus for reaching the lift but also fairly large carpark alongside lift. Slopes seem fairly wide and gentle at the base with what appeared to be good home runs suitable for beginners.
Definitely more French bias than usual brit favourite domains, so may have a less frenetic UK biased half term schedule than others. There's more a Dutch (many NL plated cars) contingent in Maurienne which could give you an easier time regarding popularity if UK is offset from them regarding school hols.

Journey there is fairly straightforward, usual busy times are going to apply to your journey through France to just past Chambery, at which point shortly after you diverge away from the general crowds going to Tarantaise area. It's a much easier route along the Maurienne so you should find it relatively peaceful.

Regarding late booking, not sure if that'll help you in much of Europe during school hols, if you can find something now that suits then you'd be wise to book it.

From our perspective we do like staying at Val Cenis, Lansvillard, it's much more of a established village. It has great slopes to suit any level of skier and virtually all accommodation is walk out onto the snow. Very convenient to use and about 20 mins further on from Aussois.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skied there a couple of times and it’s not my favourite to be honest.

Sections often shut so rest is busy and it’s on the sunny side of the valley so the snow transforms quickly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thakyou so much for taking so much time with such a considered response.

Actually you have now set us thinking re Val Cenis.

May I trouble you with a couple more quick questions?

Are you able to recommend any specific accommodation, & also one which includes ski storage ?

Also, I wondered if there may be any ski schools you may recommend?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've really enjoyed time spent in this area so it's all positive experiences for us. We are a family of two adults and two children.

Apartments http://www.les-balcons.co.uk/presentation/val-cenis.html used are these on the link, effectively ski in and out by walking out from the ski / boot room. We usually stay in self catering apartments. Also we book via different Web sites depending on what's available. Peak retreats is good from UK start point as it offers eurotunnel tickets inclusive, usually flexiplus.

The ski storage is usually it the basement of both sets of apartments, you go down internally to get your kit and walk out to access the snow. I don't know if this is what you enquire about? We haven't stored skis anywhere near lifts etc.
Again, with ski school, we're all proficient enough to use the ski area without tuition so can't offer you an insight to this. Apologies.

The cost. of lift passes are good, food and eating out also the same.

We often walk out through the village in the evening, it's quite a nice place. One day a week has night time skiing at the edge of the village. This area is very good for learning also as it's the principal area for ski school beginners, supplemented by a wide gentle green piste from mid station back to village. The bowl above mid station, although predominantly blue, has very wide open and decent gradient to gain confidence with also.
Not unique, but one of the easiest places I've seen, blue run right from the highest lift served point in this area. Fabulous viewpoint looking south over Italy, it's very accessible to progressing skiers.

Hope that helps, if you need any further info, please ask.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.haute-maurienne-vanoise.com/fr/sejours/hebergements/agences-immobilieres
Has quite a lot of accommodation
I've been to Val Cenis several times and stayed up near Aussois but the south facing aspect made it unappealing on our visit and we skied elsewhere.
Val Cenis is a great spot for good blue runs . We put our kids in ski school once there but it was so long ago that the experience is probably meaningless. Although further along the road than Aussois the driving is easier as you don't have a windy road at the end though chains may occasionally be needed.
We used the same apartments as above which were fine and very convenient
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dear ski13

Thanks to your great advice Im pleased to say that we have now booked to stay at “Les Balcons de Val Cenis Village” w/c 10th Feb.

I wonder if I could trouble you with a further quick question ?

In your opinion will we need to fit snow tyres or even snow chains ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good choice! I've driven up there several times - mostly without problem. However, I do remember one occasion when the hill out of Termignon was defeating most of the traffic without winter tyres. That time I was very happy that I'd stumped up for winter tyres on the hire car.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As @altis, says, there's only that one bit that has anything like a steep gradient. Generally it's a wider well cleared route without any of the twisty, tight and slow mountain ascents of some destinations. It's not usually snow covered, but we may become getting more of it this year with luck.
It gets you up to altitude with a more gentle gradient over a distance rather than one steep climb and doesn't generally bring problems.

We usually drive out and allways carry chains regardless of which tyres are fitted to make sure we can move competently and comply with road directions.
I feel it's safe to do that but haven't an appreciation or your views in driving on snow covered roads.

If you feel you need to use specific tyres, I'd not make those arrangements (second set of tyres) for one trip, much more inclined towards something like Michelin Cross Climate / Falken Euroall Season AS200 (has a winter snowflake marking) as general replacement if you are at the point of changing tyres anyway.

If you've any other questions, about it just post.

Hope you enjoy Val Cenis, it's a genuinely great place to visit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy