Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Ischgl Best Route January

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Google says take the A95 via Garmisch, is that the best route to go?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That is the shortest route over the FernPass
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is the pass passable in winter?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes it is, cleared regularly, but.....you can never know what to expect. you must have winter tyres and snowchains as a precautionary measure. Garmisch through the town gets quite busy but is alway moving.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Might be worth pointing out that the Fernpass gets very busy on Friday afternoon/evenings too..

I came back over it a few weeks ago, and there were queues all the way back as far as Reutte Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ghost Dog wrote:
Is the pass passable in winter?
I've never experienced it being closed for snow. You also almost never need chains, but definitely do need winter tires. I does get busy at times for sure, but then so does the route via Mittenwald / Zirler Berg, and getting past the road works around Innsbruck isn't much fun either!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you´re travelling on a Saturday you should avoid the Fernpass. You can get stuck in traffic for ages.
The A95 from Munich to Garmisch is the quietest and most direct, but don´t go from there to the Fernpass.
Carry on towards Seefeld and then drive through the town of Seefeld and down to Telfs via Moesern (Mösern).
Here you can jump on the A12 motorway towards Landeck, Ischgl, but remember to buy a motorway sticker for Austria first (available at all petrol stations).
The main passes are open in winter, but can be interesting in heavy snow and traffic. Winter tyres and chains (just in case) are a must.
All routes are busy on a Saturday and often Sunday too (changeover day), so plan a little longer for the journey.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. I was trying to avoid taking Innsbruck road since my experience when the racing is at Kitzbuhel is that the traffic is hell in that direction. A95 through Seefeld sounds like a plan. Any idea how long it will take?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I assume you´re starting at Munich airport.
You should take 3 to 3.5 hrs if traffic is light over the Seefeld route.
Expect it to be longer if it´s a Saturday though
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy