Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski instructor won't teach beginner

Poster: A snowHead
A friend who is an absolute beginner is skiing with us this week. He is in the absolute beginner classes with ESF in Champagny en Vanoise (only ski school here).

After their first morning, his instructor essentially told him he can't/ won't teach him as the rest of the group would be too good. My friend didn't grasp snow ploughing in the first hour and kept falling, which was probably far more frustrating for him than the instructor, not to mention the confidence knock he has now gotten.

He was advised to get private lessons, which Esf has no space for this week. He was even told that after a 2h private lesson he probably wouldn't be back in the group.

Am I wrong in thinking this seems absurd for this level?

What would you try and do to help your friend in this scenario? If he gets a refund he's just sitting around all week whilst we ski, which is hardly ideal but at least he's not out of pocket. He can't get over to the other parts of la plagne for lessons as he can't ski.

Admittedly Champagny lacks in "true" beginner runs, but giving up after one hour and a bit seems a tad ridiculous. The group was 2 instructors to 10 pupils and they divided up by level into 1:5 which hardly seems like an over crowded class where the instructor cannot focus on someone struggling.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Folks like that are usually sent to snowboarding class. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The instructor was crap.

It’s always true that if the student fails, it’s because the teacher fails the student.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
The instructor was crap.

It’s always true that if the student fails, it’s because the teacher fails the student.

This, exactly. The instructor should ensure that the client gets what they need, whether it’s another group or something else. Rubbish instructor & ski school.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Couldn't agree more about their shoddy standards, it's essentially them admitting they're not good enough at their job.

I believe Monday has a new intake of beginners with (hopefully) different instructors for this specific intake, which he will be joining. Hopefully this goes better, but it will say a lot about the other teacher if the new one gets things working.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike wrote:
abc wrote:
The instructor was crap.

This, exactly. The instructor should ensure that the client gets what they need, whether it’s another group or something else. Rubbish instructor & ski school.
+2. I think I'd try and make a big fuss with the head of the ski school and insist that instruction be provided as contracted and paid for.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ruswit, also have your friend have an open mind, take the instructions as given etc…

Sometimes adult beginners have some hidden hang up which gets in the way of learning (fear of height or speed for example). While it’s the instructor’s job to work around it and help the student to overcome it, the student can also make it easier in various ways (communication, self-awareness etc…)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Were the other 4 in the group also complete beginners?

It is still French half-term, so there ought to be plenty of classes. Are there beginners classes in say French or German that he could join?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Generally agree, but before we tar and feather the instructor, how did this student's difficulties impact the others in the class? At some point they are entitled to not be held back by one outlier. The instructor's comments suggest this was the case. They could have been more diplomatic and also brought a work-around...for me, that's the transgression here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How bad is the student to be told "you can't come in the beginner group"?
With all due respect this is just one side of a story involving the 6 people of the group.
There's some element of responsibility to learn on the student.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The instructor is right, when someone in a group is demanding 80%+ of your time they are preventing everyone else from progressing. I have seen this many times, if I have someone like this I usually arrange private with me for lunchtime. If that isn't possible we can usually find someone but not necessarily the same day.
What is the alternative? Carry on moving the group on at the usual pace until the person that isn't grasping it quits or worse injures themselves or someone else, or have the rest of the group complaining that they are still doing straight runs to stop on the flat after a whole week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Baron von chippy wrote:
With all due respect this is just one side of a story involving the 6 people of the group.

If you sign up with a ski school for the "I have never skied before" group should you not be treated like you cannot ski and are in the lowest group?

I mean in an hour what do you expect the students to learn? Clipping skis on and off and how snow feels etc.?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is precisely why the return rate for first time skiers is so low

Everyone is so focussed on climate change that they’ve lost sight of the fact that introducing new people to skiing and inspiring them to return is a far bigger problem
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have coached some incredible people who grasp the principles immediately and closely follow the instructions to achieve the counterintuitive things you need to do to learn basics.

I also had a friend of the family who was utterly incapable of following even the instructions to get the boots into the bindings let alone get up after a fall. They played no sports, worked in a sedentary job, and were significantly overweight. He was a high flying research student. I gave up after a morning of get up fall over, get up fall over, get up fall over. In three hours we had moved 50 metres, mainly by incremental accidents. I tried everything, but I could not connect his brain to his lower body. My partner took over to give me a break and she thoughtfully abandoned this guy in a fog of complete frustration after two hours of the same. I resumed and got nowhere. We left him to gather himself at a restaurant and came to collect him about 45 mins later only to find him gone. No response from phone. He had tried to have go by himself, had slithered down the mountain for maybe 500m, out of sight, and eventually was snowmobiled off the mountain by the pisteurs at close of day. He recognised his limitations and went snowshoeing for the next four days.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Legend. wrote:
Baron von chippy wrote:

If you sign up with a ski school for the "I have never skied before" group should you not be treated like you cannot ski and are in the lowest group?

I mean in an hour what do you expect the students to learn? Clipping skis on and off and how snow feels etc.?

With a group of 5 I would expect to be straight running to flat and maybe introducing snowplough. There is no way I would tell anyone they need private after just one hour, after 2 hours things become much clearer and sometimes in extreme cases (I'm talking screaming as soon as they move here) that is the point to talk about private. If you don't and they come back in the afternoon that can easily be 2 hours of everyone's time wasted. This is assuming that the rest of the group are absolute beginners not 'liars' that skied 10 years ago.
latest report
Legend. wrote:
Baron von chippy wrote:

I did a 1-2-1 with the OH's friend on Saturday, so different to a group lesson, but after 1hr we were plough gliding in a straight line, and able to bring ourselves to a stop using the snowplough.

When I was teaching in Gloucester, a total beginners group lesson, after an hour at the very best we might make it to a gliding plough, but normally we would have just introduced adding a plough at the end of a straight run to try and stop ourselves a bit quicker.
ski holidays
Impossible to judge, really, and at this time of year ski schools are often flat out, with no flexibility, for example to provide private lessons.

There were two instructors involved with a complete beginner group here. This poor chap obviously had a rotten time but it's hard to believe he was expelled because he failed to learn snowploughing in an hour. Few people will learn snowploughing in an hour when (as noted above) they have to learn just to get the skis on and off and move around on the flat. He kept falling over. And if somebody constantly falls on the flat (and almost certainly found it very difficult and exhausting to get back up again, and needed a lot of help) they are unlikely to make progress at all.

There probably are people who can never learn to ski without huge investment of time with a skilled and patient instructor. It sounds as though the feedback to the pupil was handled badly but if the judgement of an experienced instructor was that a 2 hour lesson wouldn't make enough difference to enable the guy to rejoin the group (which will also have been progressing) it seems fair enough that they told him that.

Very difficult, and sad. But without knowing a bit more, I'd be reluctant to blame the ski school exclusively. 2 instructors for 10 pupils is a very good ratio - but it sounds as though this one pupil would have taken the full time of one of them, even to keep him on his feet. If I'd been one of the other 9 I'd probably be resenting that. And as also pointed out above, we have no idea of the "attitude" of the pupil to the instructors and his fellow learners. He might have been ruining it for everybody. We simply don't know.
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
The instructor is right, when someone in a group is demanding 80%+ of your time they are preventing everyone else from progressing.

This. I used to shadow an ESF instructor who was utterly ruthless with pupils who couldn't keep up or had a mental block in an adult beginner's class. She told me straight that the group's needs outweighed any individual ones.

Too late now (or maybe can still be done before a second holiday if they're keen to try) but this is why the advice to adult beginners contemplating a skiing holiday is always to go to a snowdome for a "learn to ski in a day" type course first.
latest report
Legend. wrote:
Baron von chippy wrote:

I dont know im not a professional qualified instructor. who's probably lived my whole life in the mountains and taught 1000's of skiers and seen it all before. What I have encountered is folks not telling the full story on the internet
snow conditions
Quote:

What I have encountered is folks not telling the full story on the internet

Laughing
latest report
Baron von chippy wrote:
Legend. wrote:
Baron von chippy wrote:

I dont know im not a professional qualified instructor. who's probably lived my whole life in the mountains and taught 1000's of skiers and seen it all before. What I have encountered is folks not telling the full story on the internet

Yeah I get that, and there is also the fact this is a story of a friend etc so there is always some errors or embellishments in the telling of the story (normally through nobody's fault but due to the fact that it's second hand).

But we also know that some instructors are a little shite or could be having a bad day. Like workers in all industries, you get good and bad. No matter how many hours you have put in, no matter how many years' experience you have, and no matter how many times you have gotten it right, you might still be shite at your job... Laughing

Like Mike Pow says, these are the people you want to catch the bug, all 5 of the people in the group need to be encouraged.
snow report
@Legend., yep I get that. But some posters straight away blamed the ski instructor. When signing up there is a clause saying if you can't keep up with the group you'll be asked to leave.
snow conditions
And there were two instructors involved here. If a person in a group I was in had been treated really badly I'd be backing them up in complaining to the ski school. There were 9 other people involved here, whose opinions would be more valuable than any of ours. If it's just a case of shuffling round on the flat and learning not to fall over (and I'm not downplaying how hard that can be for someone with zero balance and coordination skills) it hardly needs a qualified instructor. Perhaps the friends could help? I've spent some time with some pretty hopeless folk, and we've had a laugh. I once had a boyfriend who was an impressive fell runner. Tall, skinny, type. He was keen to learn to play squash. I was no great squash player but my attempts to teach him failed miserably. He simply could not throw a ball up and hit it. No hand/eye coordination at all. Just never made contact. No doubt with patient mentor and weeks to spare, he could have improved just a bit. But that's remedial learning and not what beginning ski groups are really about.
snow report
I think we'd need to know what "My friend didn't grasp snow ploughing in the first hour and kept falling" actually means before we can judge the instructor. At one extreem "Hadn't mastered the snowplow and wasn't starting to go parallel after one hour" - poor instructor. But at the other "Friend hadn't actually moved and spent the whole hour standing up only to fal over in exactly the same spot" - probably justified as while your friend's paid for lessons so have the other 5 people in the group.
snow report
This is very difficult to judge. It may be very poor instruction, but that seems unlikely with a 1:5 ratio for a beginners class (assumes 2 instructors are both equally useless). As other instructors have pointed out there are also some inconsistencies in the OP, especially about expecting a complete beginner to be able to snow plough after the first two hours. Many will get a basic glide and maybe a wee bit more, but many won't. With adult beginners in a group, first day is taken up with learning how to get the skis on, how to stand and move gently, getting used to have two big planks strapped to your feet. Then some basic principles and short gliding on a very gentle slope. If everyone gets through that it is a successful morning. I love taking adult beginners and will always choose that option if I can, so have a lot of experience of these types of classes.

I can remember three times where I have had to have a gentle and supporting conversation with a pupil to advise them that continuing with the group was not going to work. All three were middle aged, very unfit, varying degrees of poor coordination, and unable to complete the simplest of tasks (click into skis, side-step etc.). One could not physically get themselves up after falling down from a stationary position. The other two I took 1:1 for an hour after the lesson to make absolutely sure it was not some mental block that could be worked through. I felt sad for all three but it would simply not have been safe or efficacious for any of them to continue with the lessons. I advised they to enjoy the mountains in other ways, and gave a lot of information on the range of opportunities to do so, pointing out that love of winter in the mountains is the real goal and I wanted to do whatever I could to help them achieve that but as it stood that would not be on skis. I felt bad for them to some extent, and bad for myself as I so desperately want everyone to enjoy our wonderful sport, but equally I am sure that I made the right decision. I didn't see one of them again, but bumped into the other two a few times and both thanked me for being so considerate and were keen to tell me all about the views/walks/meals they had enjoyed during their week.

One time I had to ask an adult beginner to leave the class immediately, on the first morning. The individual was foul-mouthed from the very start and their frustration with being unable to complete the simplest of tasks (mostly due to being overweight, unfit and unwilling to follow clear advice) turned into swearing and abuse. Not only was that individual taking up 95% of my time and attention, the rest of the class were clearly very uncomfortable. I gave three warnings, then told them to leave.

I don't normally advise this, but to work out what is going on it may be worthwhile for the OP to take their friend to some pretty much flat terrain. Get them to manage doing their own boots up, clicking into the skis without assistance, and being able to shuffle around in a circle with skis on. Then simulate a fall and see if they can get themselves up. That will determine if they have the basic strength and coordination to at least have a chance of making some progress. Also explore if there are any mental blocks, i.e. what are they concerned about or scared of. And also if they display a lot of frustration when they inevitably find it hard. Otherwise encourage a love of winter and mountains with activities that don't involve skiing.

Last comment is that in general ski instructors, even the old and lazy ones wheeled out for peak weeks only, do not want students to fail. On balance I think it more likely that the issue lies with the student than the instructor, and if that is the case it may be possible to overcome whatever that issue is. But it is telling that the instructor suggested that a 2hr private lesson would be unlikely to succeed in that.
ski holidays
AL9000 wrote:

ESF instructors like that are normally sent there too.

@Ruswit Your friend wouldn't be called
Kevin by any chance?
ski holidays
Origen wrote:
There probably are people who can never learn to ski without huge investment of time with a skilled and patient instructor.

Without commenting on the shoddy treatment above I remember a guy, Brian, told me he'd been "fired" by the ESF in Chamrousse - he and his wife had bought a ski lodge up there too. They said he was unteachable and would never ski.

Poppycock I told Brian, his missus, a good French skier told me not to be so sure. So we went up to the local slope.

Brian couldn't actually stand up on a pair of skis. If he stood for more than 3 or 4 seconds he would fall over onto one side or the other. If he moved he would fall straight backwards. I wondered whether he had a balance problem but he could walk around in town shoes ok.

To give an example, we went to the top of a very gentle slope, one you'd barely move on. I would get him to feel his shins in the front of the boots, ankles, knees and hips flexed. Stay like that I'd say, you can't hurt yourself, just glide down the slope to the runout. The second he moved he would immediately stand up and lean backwards which I guess was fear of going to fast although you'd almost need time lapse to see him move.

His missus found it hilarious when we came back. "You see, he's unteachable".
snow report
I experienced this having signed up for group lessons in Italy as a beginner. I’d had one lesson in the U.K. and could snowplough and make pretty wobbly turns but lacked confidence. The rest of the group were better / more confident than me (one woman asked why I’d gone on a skiing holiday… least said about that the better!) and the instructor sent me back to the ski school to ask for 1:1 lessons. He said that he was taking the group further up the mountain and I wasn’t ready. I was upset but I understood the reasons.

I’d booked through Crystal and they covered the cost difference of my lessons since it wasn’t my fault.

I’ve had more private lessons since but arranged these myself, I’d always recommend 1:1 lessons if possible because you learn so much more in the same amount of time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Folks like that are usually sent to snowboarding class.

The toughest newbie client conversation as a snowboard instructor (happens at least once or twice every winter):

INSTRUCTOR: Hi! Great to meet you! So, is this your very first time on a snowboard?

NEWBIE: Yes! Never tried it before.

I: Cool, no worries! Do you do any other board sports? (Skateboard, surf, wake, windsurf....)

N: No, never tried those.

I: No problem, have you skied before?

N: Oh yes! Last year I came on holiday and I tried skiing, but I found it really, really hard and I really didn't get anywhere, so I though I'd try snowboarding this year!

I: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked OK! No worries, lets get started and see how you get on! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Laughing
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
AL9000 wrote:

ESF instructors like that are normally sent there too.

@Ruswit Your friend wouldn't be called
Kevin by any chance?

Ahhh, Kevin on the tow rope and the carnage behind him. I have no idea how the cameraman stayed vertical. Laughing
snow conditions
@Ruswit, I do hope your friend had a better experience with his new class today! If not, I would suggest trying to get private lessons with one of the other ski schools in the La Plagne area, & see if the instructor would meet him at the top of the Champagny gondola. It really is a very quick ski over from Bellecote or Centre, so you might just get a yes... It might be worth asking the Champagny ESF if they could sort this out with one of the other ESFs in the area (I think they owe you a bit of effort!). Best of luck, & I hope it doesn't put him off forever snowHead
ski holidays
@Ruswit, Ask if Anne Flore is still at the ESF Champagny ski school. She is/was excellent with really good nuanced English.
ski holidays
@Ruswit, possibly also worth looking at Maisonsport to see if any private instructors have 1-2-1 availability if ESF doesn't work out
snow report
@Jo225, it's still French peak holidays - so little spare capacity in any ski schools this week.
snow report
Instructor is right.

Ditch and switch.
snow conditions
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Chris_n wrote:
The instructor is right, when someone in a group is demanding 80%+ of your time they are preventing everyone else from progressing.

This. I used to shadow an ESF instructor who was utterly ruthless with pupils who couldn't keep up or had a mental block in an adult beginner's class. She told me straight that the group's needs outweighed any individual ones.

Too late now (or maybe can still be done before a second holiday if they're keen to try) but this is why the advice to adult beginners contemplating a skiing holiday is always to go to a snowdome for a "learn to ski in a day" type course first.

So what you’re saying is snow dome instructors are better than on snow instructors
snow conditions
Quote:

So what you’re saying is snow dome instructors are better than on snow instructors

I interpret @Je suis un Skieur as suggesting that if you're going to be one of those people who just can't (or won't) learn to ski, better to find out in a day at a snowdome than on an expensive week's holiday in the Alps.
ski holidays
Origen wrote:
I interpret @Je suis un Skieur as suggesting that if you're going to be one of those people who just can't (or won't) learn to ski, better to find out in a day at a snowdome than on an expensive week's holiday in the Alps.
Exactly.

And moreso, that if you don't take to it immediately but are still keen you can put in the additional practice and lessons prior to going on holiday to get you to a standard where you can join a ski school level above total beginner and enjoy far more of the mountain. I don't think there's too many people who would relish spending £1k+ just to see the nursery slopes, it's a poor return on investment both financially and emotionally.
snow report
Still, majority of people took to it well enough to enjoy their holiday in the mountains without having to shell out extra in a frig first.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy