Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

en route hotel st anton

Poster: A snowHead
@Markymark29, schnann appears to be 12-15 mins on the bus to st anton. should not be too crowded in the mornings as we will be getting on near its starting point. no ski school to get to and not fussed about getting early lifts !
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
backhojo wrote:
@Markymark29, on st anton website it says schlosskopf is free parking with a ski pass but not sure if that means day pass only. ie not with a weekly pass. do you know ? would a car be useful if we want to ski in the outer reaches of the area such as oberlech, zug and warth. i know they are lift linked but its hell of a journey there and back via left. if the car is up there then we dont have to worry about getting the lifts back...or is the drive just way too far ?

Yes Schlosskopf is free with a ski pass that has been used that day (be it day, week, season etc.). You get a ticket on entry, then have to validate it and your lift pass at the ticket machine by the lift prior to exit. Can be handy to do if, for example, you want to get the most out of your time skiing Warth (did it last season when work/babysitter requirements meant we only had a half day). Also useful for skiing Sonnenkopf, as again maximises the time available. Not a necessity, more a nice luxury to have.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nozawaonsen,

I travel all the time by train from Basel to St Anton .

You can be in St Anton almost for first lift.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You pay for a lift ticket

Use it to travel to Lech & Zurs

Why pay twice (lift car) ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Especially in highseason car can still be usefull to get to Lech. The new Flexenbahn is creating bottlenecks at Madlochbahn (Zürs connection to Lech) and Rüfikopf (Lech connection back to Zürs), and at Flexenbahn itself at base and mid-station. Stress is reported from people getting afraid not to get back in time at the essential Valfagehrbahn to get to St.Anton.
A car indeed can be a more relaxed way to go, especially if you want to venture to Warth as well. (On ski from Lech, you cannot drive Lech-Warth in winter!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stanton, +1 when I get to Arlberg I dump the car and leave it alone for the duration.

@Langerzug, If you get out and beat the crowds no issues at Flexenbahn. If you leave it until the crowds are building, then yes there can be issues I guess, worst case you get the free bus at Alpe Rauz.

@backhojo, Definitely recommend a day at Warth, can be exceptional deep powder and quite forgiving terrain. It's a long drive in the car to Lech from Schnann so in order to avoid queues in Lech I'd advise an early start for your Warth day, alternatively early Post Bus to Zurs or Lech from St Anton if you don't want to risk via Flexenbahn. It's a long day, suggest a first lift start and a lot of skiing to get the best from Warth. We stay every year in Warth for a week, however this season we're in Lech for first week of a double-header end January, then around to St Anton for second week, Warth is a gem in deep winter conditions and a great base to ski Zurs and Lech too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, because the OP was travelling with kids and therefore getting them organised at the crack of dawn might have been a bit of a chore. Moreover they are staying in Schnann which is a bit out of the way and having your own transport would give you added flexibility. But as I said there are busses and lifts so you do not need a car, but it can be handy. I live in Austria and have my own car so often drive up to resorts. Sometimes I get the train. Both work for me. Both have pros and cons. Whether or not it’s worth paying the extra for a hire car for the added flexibility is something the OP can make their own mind up on.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OP.
Are you going 10 to 17 February?
Looks like we're in the same block of apartments. We could look at sharing a taxi some days if you wanted. Although we generally managed ok with the ski bus last year from schnan. I think we parked one day for free at Nasserein and also drove to Zurs for one day as well. Definitely better to drive to zurs I reckon than walk bus walk lift.

The mpreis supermarket is the really obvious one you see from the ski bus just to the east of st Anton.

Does of coursecdepend on snow levels. The hill from schnan towards the Klamm is quite steep.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nozawaonsen, thanks for the reply. you have summarised things nicely. afterall its a holiday so I dont want to be getting up at the crack of dawn and skiing balls out all the way to Warth to get a couple of runs in then have to head back...worrying about the queues. I can see that the public transport / ski lifts network is good and better than some resorts however I can see the benefits of a car too. all the replies on here are helpful so that we can weigh up the pros and cons of all the solutions. This is partly why we started to drive to the tarrentaise resorts as it makes the decisions a lot easier and the cost is a lot less then flying. its just the long journey that is challenging ! flights are now booked so no going back !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
You pay for a lift ticket

Use it to travel to Lech & Zurs

Why pay twice (lift car) ?

because for 4 people with skis and luggage then we have to weigh up the cost / convenience of a car vs train tickets x4, taxi from st anton to schnann and back again. taxi to supermarket. getting kids hire skis (another taxi as not likely to be a hire shop in schnann). dropping skis off again at the end of the holiday. somewhere to leave all our luggage on last day as we check out at 9am but dont fly until 9pm. its not about lift pass vs car its about using the car to explore different areas because we have the car anyway !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@backhojo, Ok

Just trying to help.

Normally your accommodation (out in the down valley villages) will have a agreement or a deal with a Ski Shop at the base station (Nasserein or in St Anton) where you can leave your skis & boots a the Ski Depot

Ski Buses ride morning & evening to Schnann.

There is a Bus Stop by the M Preis

Time in Car is Lost Time on the Hill Very Happy

I live further down Valley between Flirsh & Strengen
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@backhojo, On reflection given that you aren't intending being early to lifts and want to be fresh to ski Warth then a car would seem best option for days over the pass, however if skiing Rendl, Gampen, Galzig or Stuben i'd suggest you take buses. The drive to resort is easy from Zurich, however i'd suggest breaking the journey at Dornbirn especially if arriving evening (check out Martinspark via Bookings.com, good free warm underground carpark). I know a good traditional pizza place around the corner too, PM me if you like.

I'd travel down early from Dornbirn after breakfast in ski gear on day 1 and leave kit in the car, maybe stop at Stuben or Rauz and ski up from there rather than early over the pass if fresh snow. Don't get caught out if weather deteriorating, not good to leave it too late to be over the Pass ime.

Make sure you have chains with the car hire and know how to fit them in bad weather/ severe cold (not all the same obvs), we've used them plenty over to Zurs/ Lech in the past and you may need them in Schnann getting up from the main road? Also don't forget you'll need vignette both ways into CH-land and AUT.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^^^only problem with this plan for day 1 is if you need hire ski gear in which case you'll need to faff about in resort and for that I cant really offer much advice, other than saying go with Alber Sport or Jennwein if you want the most up to date kit..... parking outside the hire shops not possible though, they are very central so maybe best to offload kit and bus up to town in shoes (much accommodation provides a ski shop free ski rack/ ski boot storage service at Alber/ Jennwein to avoid dragging them about). In the past friends with families have hired down the valley to get better deals, which backfired when they had to chase about as and when they needed to tweak them/ swap etc.

Or take kit with you..... wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my top tip for saving money on hire is get it from the Sonnenkompf base station, and then ski there for day one, so you can go back to tweak/swap.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29,
According to my info the Alpe Rauz bus is suspended (because of Flexenbahn)
And please note that OP is coming in highseason. Lines at Madloch (10 am-14pm) and Rüfikopf (in afternoon!) are to be expected.
And about Lech (direction Oberlech/Warth) in morning: no major queues, not even in highseason.

But lets hope the novelty of the Flexenbahn is off....and all will be easier than last year.
snow conditions
@kitenski, Good idea that re Sonnenkopf, great skiing too.
snow report
If your going to use a Car hire your gear in Bludenz (away from any resorts Happy
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
If your going to use a Car hire your gear in Bludenz (away from any resorts Happy

and what happens if you want to nip back for a tweak, a wax or swop boots/skis etc?
latest report
@kitenski, Same issue ref inconvenience from Schnann to Klosterle (Sonnenkopf) isn't it?......hardly likely to go back other than on way in/ out of the valley and its an hour in the car to Klosterle. If it was me i'd hire central St Anton as above but can see merit in hiring from Sonnenkopf re convenience for day 1, but if tweaks needed then its an issue anywhere if not in town later in the week.

Or hire from Matt Sport in Pettneu?

Or go the full hog and hire from Strolz in Lech (ker-ching!), they'll arrange a Wucher helicopter and deliver to wherever you want I guess Laughing
snow report
again - thanks for all the tips. really helpful. some of you may have missed the fact that we are now able to arrive at our accomodation in Schnann a day early so will travel direct from zurich to Schnann on saturday. we will probably not get there in time to hire on saturday so will sort this Sunday (we have our own skis but the kids dont). I would have thought parking near the hire shops in Nasserein is possible - or worst case down in the big car park I can see on google earth near the main road. another option is to hire in Pettneu maybe ? hopefully they are open sunday mornings ? (i know this is probably a silly question given its peak season)
@kitenski, the sonnenkopf hire option does have some logic to it except if we need to tweek / swap boots - which is often the case with kids hire boots. its a long trek from Schnann !
latest report
stanton wrote:
@backhojo, Ok

Time in Car is Lost Time on the Hill Very Happy

not if the return journey, in a car, is done after the lifts have closed Very Happy
Schnann to Lech in a car cant be much more time than getting bus from Schnann to Galzig plus the associated short walks. 18 miles to lech. 35 mins ish in a car ?
ski holidays
@backhojo, yeh good points with kids!! Perhaps nearest to lift is best!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@backhojo, yeh good points with kids!! Perhaps nearest to lift is best!

counting down the years until their feet stop growing so we can buy them some ski boots and skis ! Very Happy
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
[b]

Or hire from Matt Sport in Pettneu?

:

looks like a good call . ..can reserve online in advance on their website Very Happy only issue is the "translate to english" button on thier website doent translate the online reservation system - just the main info pages Sad . i am sure I can fathom it out with my 25 years old school german that i have not used since !
latest report
@backhojo,
Quote:

Schnann to Lech in a car cant be much more time than getting bus from Schnann to Galzig

Depends on timing but i'd say allow 40 mins in good weather minimum and an hour+ in bad.
ski holidays
backhojo wrote:
again - thanks for all the tips. really helpful. some of you may have missed the fact that we are now able to arrive at our accomodation in Schnann a day early so will travel direct from zurich to Schnann on saturday. we will probably not get there in time to hire on saturday so will sort this Sunday (we have our own skis but the kids dont). I would have thought parking near the hire shops in Nasserein is possible - or worst case down in the big car park I can see on google earth near the main road. another option is to hire in Pettneu maybe ? hopefully they are open sunday mornings ? (i know this is probably a silly question given its peak season)
@kitenski, the sonnenkopf hire option does have some logic to it except if we need to tweek / swap boots - which is often the case with kids hire boots. its a long trek from Schnann !

There is no parking outside the Nasserein hire shops (it's pedestrianised around there over the winter with moving bollards to allow busses and access), but there is the large car park. The Pettneu/Schnann/Flirsch ski busses arrive/depart from the lift end of this car park, and there is a bakery at the other end. Given that you are there in a peak Febuary week, you may find you have to walk further by driving in than by getting the bus (not uncommon for the Nasserein car park to be full by 10am, and overspill is along the main road towards the centre of town).

Hire shops will be open Sunday morning, most close around 7:30pm Saturday evening. It's the supmarkets that aren't open Sunday morning should you need anything.
ski holidays
The bus from Schanann to Nasereien is non stop ..very fast.
latest report
@backhojo, English is widely spoken by the locals in the whole valley. The young folks who work in the shops are fluent
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks again to everyone for all the replies. all useful info to feed into the 'decision making machine' !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy