Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend a Piste Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Feeling in need of some modest retail therapy to cheer myself up so was thinking of buying new skis for those days when I just want to chill on the piste to replace my well
worn Salomons that I've had for the past 14 years and cant remember the model name. Off piste and really bad crud days will still be handled by my trusty BBR's which
were bought at the longer size to cope with a lot more weight that I have now, but they are more effort that I can really be bothered with on the bumps and they are also
quite heavy to carry around which my arthritic hands don't like.

I've been skiing for 30 years, varying from a week once a season to most weekends during a spell living in Calgary. From now on its likely to be two separate weeks each
season. I don't care about the cost of transporting them, I just like having my own stuff rather than renting. Ability wise on the inside out scale I'm probably somewhere
between 8 and 9.

A don't want to spend a fortune. In fact I'd be quite happy with a previous season model from Glisshop or one of the other online shops. Had good experiences with them
and Ekosport before.

So any ideas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Difficult to find a bad ski these days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just been through this. I've got my Kendos and my boards for off piste, so my choice was based on something purely for piste use and mostly on hardpack or icy days.

I chose the Salomon X Max X8 from Glisshop. The price was excellent.

I won't get to use them until 24th Nov but unpacked them last weekend and the shape looks 'right' for a piste ski. I was also pleased with the Salomon bindings, they have a solid feel.

I'm a 6-7 on the scale.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not a huge Salomon fan, I must admit - but not for any particular reason, just historical.

I'd go Blizzard. E.g. one of the Quattro models.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tested lots of piste skis last year and my favourite were the Rossignol Pursuit 800.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Head Magnums or Titans .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roguevfr wrote:
Head Magnums or Titans .

Loved the Magnums when I rented them last year.

Or, for something even more stable - Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Posidrive, If you can get hold of a pair of Blizzard Latigo, or the Brahma.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tested the Magnums and some Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti at the Oktobertest. Both very competent. For pure piste I reckon the Dynastar had it, but preferred being driven. For just chilling the Magnums or Titans would be perfect.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd go and find some 2016 reviews then get on Google or ebay and see what's the best deal I could find!

eg https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/a/621237/editors--choice--best-carving-skis-for-2016-2017
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
or I wanted some detuned GS type skis and got the Volk Codewall Speed L, which as not as "trendy" as other makes can be had for a decent price, ie

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKL-Code-Speedwall-L-Uvo-size-171-cm-Rmotion2-12-0-D-2016-2017/122722598153?hash=item1c92d63d09:g:msUAAOSwiVhZx4P3
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
Volkl Codewall Speed L

I've had the 'S' version of these and absolutely loved them
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Like wot skimastaaah says - Latigos if you can find some! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It really depends on how you ski on piste and whether you like to carve turns or smear them. I'm a comfortable 9 on the io scale and I see many skiers talk about carving their turns but don't achieve it in practice . At the Oktober test I loved the carving edge grip of the Head titans but they are heavy. If you are really into carving tight turns, look for something sub 14m turn radius, the gamble is buying cheap from Glissop and not liking them or pay top dollar in resort after testing them. I was lucky and hired some Head iRallys after i discovered that the bindings on my old skis were shot. I then bought a pair at 40% off and the shop refunded the hire cost.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Head Titans all day long
ski holidays
Fischer rc4 with 13m radius.
very lively and fun.
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Volkl Codewall Speed L

I've had the 'S' version of these and absolutely loved them

+1 for these, they really are excellent.
snow report
hawkwind wrote:
Fischer rc4 with 13m radius.
very lively and fun.

...or Stöckli Laser SL with 13m radius.
Very lively and fun. Very Happy
latest report
if you're after a lighter piste ski that's pretty easy going but can be wound up when you really start driving them, then I would recommend the Scott Black Majic.

I don't think they've changed it much at all since it was introduced, and there are some cracking deals about on previous season's graphics.

E.g. https://www.glisshop.co.uk/alpine_ski/scott/black_majic-82665.html?utm_source=googleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=flux&rt76=29-872&emkfid=EMF-20512131862-k--83546002462--s&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp_DPBRCZARIsAGOZYBT2HCTlj9OOEfsiRK7qdW9flK1tb3ujGbA1POx6twBKPrnPfsSb4MAaAtpKEALw_wcB
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy