Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice resorts near Munich Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, for the last 4 or 5 years I've taken my teenage kids for a short ski trip over February 1/2 term flying in to Bergamo, typically around 4 days skiing. I'm happy to drive up to about 2.5 hrs, max 3, now looking at 2018 and noticed that there's good options re flights (time & cost) to Munich (restricted to Dublin airport). I've only skied once in Austria many years ago in Zell am Zee and am looking for some advice, we're reasonably competent but not overly bothered about hitting black runs, like to clock up reasonable number of kms each day with preference for either linked resorts or a fairly large resort, also preference for ease of access to slopes, ski in / ski out would be ideal or lifts within short walk, dislike having to rely on buses. Any and all suggestions welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zillertal valley is great and 2 hrs drive with no traffic. Mayrhofen is an amazing town with lots of variety of slopes. If your children are still "improvers" the Ahorn side of the valley has some great quiet blue runs at the top (or alternatively, when conditions are good, there is a steep black down to the bottom). Hintertux at the end of the valley is a glacier so you are guaranteed some good snow. The old mountain railway provides easy access to neighbouring resorts but if you are only there for a week there is plenty to keep you entertained around Mayrhofen, Finkenberg and Eggalm themselves , which are all linked.

Zell am Ziller is also good, but I wouldn't put it in the same bracket as Mayrhofen. Other closer Austrian resorts to Munich are in the Ski Welt area - Soll, Elmau, Scheffau & my favourite Westendorf. Kitzbuhel is very close but pricey, however if you stay in Westendorf you can ski to it via Ki West (and a 5 min bus link).

Also, if you wanted to take it easy you can get the train from Munich. There are a couple of easy changes but its very cheap - the Bayern ticket covers a family of 5 and gets you into Austria for about 50 euros between you. Then about 7-20 euros each for the rest of the way depending on if you get a taxi or bus for the last few km. Have done it lots of times but if you are carrying bags and children probably easier to hire a car. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can hit most places in Austria within 3 hours from Munich. As Pablito has already mentioned the Zillertal and SkiWelt are the 2 obvious ones that are under 2 hours.

Ski in / out is a bit trickier to achieve but if you choose carefully walking distances can be short. E.g. for SkiWelt avoid Scheffau for which the village is set a mile back from the main gondola and look more at Westendorf or Ellmau. Have a look on Google maps before you decide.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
we are flying to munich and then driving to Saalbach / Hinterglemm . It's a 2-3 hour drive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beware motorways out of Munich on Saturday morning. M25 and M6 are paradise by comparison!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fairly easy to get the train from the airport to munich train station (45 minutes) there are trains going every 40 mins going down towards innsbruck in austria. I loved the Train journey! train journey from Munich to Worgl (if you are going to soll westendorf kitzbule) was 1.5 hours.

So if you are taking the morning flight from dublin to Munich you could be on the slopes by lunch time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Dog, I might be able to help out a bit...

We are based about 2 hour drive from Munich, Down to Salzburg and then 40 minutes further South.
I don't normally directly pimp my place but this time it is for a slightly different cause...
The house has been booked as a group booking by some old friends of mine and one family has had to pull out.
They have already paid me but are trying to sell off the empty spaces.
Have a look here if you are interested:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133457&highlight=
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Garmish
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mayrhofen is great. Not ski in/out, just use the lockers underneath the gondola station. If you want to hit the town straight after skiing this in is even more convenient - Austrian apre has to be seen to be believed. If you get a nice sunny day it's well worth taking the bus up to Hintertux.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mayrhofen is so good I recommended it twice.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 11-11-17 21:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax wrote:

We are based about 2 hour drive from Munich

Is that in the Porsche 911 GT2 RS or the Merc SLS AMG?? Shocked Laughing wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That'll be in a box with wheels.
2hr15min on a clear day is about the norm.
I've got there sooner but was tailing a new transit with the rest of the rugby team in it at about 170kmh on most the autobahn.

Of course you have a lot of potential transfer traffic, accidents and a bit of road works bu I'd still say 'about' 2 hours is accurate enough for the sake of it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy