Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why late season is best

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK Marcus Caston rips, but this also shows just how fun soft late season groomers are and why April trumps January for skiing: endless edge grip = ripping with wanton abandon.

Return of the Turn—Episode Two from Freeskier Magazine
https://vimeo.com/240679908
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice vid! Quietly pushing that those piste learnt fundamentals translate into everything!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, That's my sort of skiing!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@foxtrotzulu, I wish I looked that good!! Maybe this year!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@letsgetpiste, Yes, well when I say that it's 'my sort of skiing' I didn't mean that I look exactly like that, except in my dreams. Smile I meant that that's the sort of skiing I think of as fun. You can keep your bumps and your off-piste, just give me a big, wide swoopy piste with perfect snow and nobody else on it apart from me, a couple of friends, and the Ice Babe (see video 3:15)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Love it. Now who did they pay to get empty pistes all to themselves?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think it has to be either-or. Plus it's quite difficult to find Snowbird that empty unless you're connected - I would guess they used the 1st tram (as opposed to the first public tram) to shoot that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^^ Yep pretty sure they (Blizzard + Freeskier mag) filmed before official opening last April at Snowbird.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like it!

Having said that I actually think you get more grip when the pistes are a bit harder. Indeed that is why racing is done on very hard pistes. I've not got racer skills but I can set my highest edge angles on firm (rather than iced or soft) pistes. On soft pistes you can get the snow to break away and you are more likely to boot out on piles of slush

Of course if you want to carve on inappropriately fat skis then THAT is definitely easier on soft pistes NehNeh
(just teasing, i like carving up soft pistes as much as the next bloke Very Happy )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is a great video. In the bit at the end he does talk about it being too hot and them having to stop as it was so hot, the snow was turning slushy and they just couldn't ski anymore. So late season is not always best. It does look like fun though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
olderscot wrote:
the snow was turning slushy and they just couldn't ski anymore

isn't that why they hit the groomers? (edit: ah sorry... ski babe story)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster wrote:
Like it!

Having said that I actually think you get more grip when the pistes are a bit harder. Indeed that is why racing is done on very hard pistes. I've not got racer skills but I can set my highest edge angles on firm (rather than iced or soft) pistes. On soft pistes you can get the snow to break away and you are more likely to boot out on piles of slush

Of course if you want to carve on inappropriately fat skis then THAT is definitely easier on soft pistes NehNeh
(just teasing, i like carving up soft pistes as much as the next bloke Very Happy )

Ha - very true and guilty as charged!

Though my understanding of why racers prefer hard (often man made) pistes is more to prevent rutting and keep the course consistent and fair, rather than for grip.

I'm surprised to hear you say that about high edge angles on firm pistes, as it's the opposite of my experience - though fully acknowledge that's likely down to my choice of equipment, or possibly just unwillingness to push it on hard snow/lack of ability! If soft snow breaks away you lose the integrity of the carve, but not really grip as you still have all the pressure of the base against the snow acting like an edge (hence the reference to surfing and boat hulls) so you just keep on going and giggling with no fear of committing; if the edge breaks away at speed or high angle on hard snow you're going down, probably for a fair way, and it's gonna hurt (especially if there's anyone else on the piste).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy