Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Apres ski - hammering nails into a block of wood!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, just back from Austria (amazing snow but a distinct lack of blue sky and sunshine). While enjoying the apres ski in a couple of places I saw a new phenomenon (new to me anyway). There's a large block of wood and a jar of nails and a hammer. The object is to stick the nail in the block and then see how many hits it takes (with the sharp end of the hammer don't know the technical term Embarassed ) to flatten it into the wood. Very macho and leads to much posturing by the ski instructors.

Becomes very amusing (as do most things) as the alcohol level rises... Is this new or just the first time I've noticed it?

P.S. I won when I did it Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sue S,

Were you in Soll by any chance? We played this loads of times in the Stadl Stade. Excellent fun.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it's been around for quite some time - it was old when I started drinking. I think it probaly dates back decades if not even centuries

very hard to do though ! Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt,

Is it just an Austrian thing??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gosh no, I've seen it in country pubs here in england
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They've been doing it in Westendorf (close to Soll) since I've been going (2000).

I knew that my original ski instructor in Westendorf kept sheep (he was known as "Andreas the Sheepfarmer"), this year I learnt from the lady at the Tourist Office that these were originally bred as "fighting sheep" - clearly the Tirolers were struggling to find things to do during the long winter months! I don't think she was winding me up...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, we were in Maria Alm, a village quite near Kitzbuhel and Zell am Zee - great Apres ski and terrific skiing for intermediates like me (and beginers like our friends). Our only problem was that there are hardly any English visitors so all the menus are solely in German and try as we could with our limited German (language tapes before we went) we weren't able to translate them. So it was eat our way down the food menu and up the schnapps menu - led to some interesting combinations!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw it in Schladming this year. Prefer a game of pool, myself.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I saw it in Bad Gastein or Hofgastein. Can't remember which. I thought it was just to keep the kiddies happy. Like the swings at 'Little Chefs'.

I can't speak German either but I swear by those little pocket dictionaries. Always carry one. It is even handy when an Austrian is speaking English to you and they get stumped for a word. You just give them the book.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a block of wood (giant tree stump I think) and big bag of nails in the Flying Squirrel in Peisey.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I keep telling myself that I'd get i big tree stump and put in in the patio for BBQs
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
was going strong in 'club habitat' Kirkberg circa 1988- .........free drinks if you put your c**k on the bar -or got your t*ts out (I think I can dimly remember something)......now that's another game ....is this a new thing- or an old one- we must be told!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
edsilva, Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
edsilva wrote:
was going strong in 'club habitat' Kirkberg circa 1988- .........free drinks if you put your c**k on the bar -or got your t*ts out

I hope that didn't involve the use of a hammer! Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's damn good practice for ice climbing, esp with the wrong hand.
snow report
edsilva,
Quote:

was going strong in 'club habitat' Kirkberg circa 1988- .........free drinks if you put your c**k on the bar -or got your t*ts out (I think I can dimly remember something)......now that's another game ....is this a new thing- or an old one- we must be told!

I remember that bar, a jolly refined establishment it is too Toofy Grin
snow report
Found that game in the Red X bar in Arinsal about 5/6 years ago..... Hammer, Nails, Alcohol and testosterone... what a great combination... hmmmm Shocked

Last person to put the nail in.. buys the round... there was 8 of us Laughing
ski holidays
This practice must surely be related to the close proximity of 'Surgeon Training Facilities' - where else would mangled fingers and thumbs be found in such quantities? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
BernardC, Hillend?
snow conditions
Lodge Diane in Neiderau ( Austria ) had the game some years ago.
latest report
Watched the kids doing it in the Derby bar in Sauze last week. There were even a couple of "one-hit" wonders.
latest report
Latchigo, I have one of those translator things on my cellphone - French German Italian Spanish and Russian - very handy
latest report
They do it when the crisps run out behind the bar...!!
latest report
Nagelspiel - using a bricklayers hammer, ie with a blade. Loser buys a round of snapps.

There is another version, with a shoemakers hammer that has a point, often played for a bottle of champagne.

Only seems popular in eastern Austria.

My own slice of tree is getting heavy with nails now, after a good few years of appearing at barbies etc.
ski holidays
I played it in Zell-Am-zee. Great game!! Got really drunk cause I sucked at it!!!
snow report
I heard that in the north west, they do it without a hammer?
snow report
Hotel Christoph in Ellmau must have been 1987/88 and they had the same game......obviously been around a while was quite a good laugh
wink
latest report
It also big in Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein at the small apres ski marques at the end of the runs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was in the forces based in Germany between 1990 and 1994 and we used to play it in one of the local bars near the base. Made for some interesting competitions with the locals. wink
snow report
awesome game crazy daisys in zell am see. quality.
snow conditions
Is it "Resurect a five year old thread day"?
ski holidays
why not, just googled nail game and came up so felt like having my say
snow report
Seems to be still alive and well.

A relative was ion St Wolfgang over Christmas and New Year and they were at it.
snow report
Quote:

they were at it

good for them. snowHead I bet that was a whole lot more fun than hammering nails into bits of wood.
snow conditions
pam w, Very Happy
snow report
I've played it once - in Macclesfield Laughing
snow conditions
Played it in Arinsal as well. They used to do it as a forfeit game. You go up against the last winner and the loser buys each of you a shot. You had to use your 'wrong' hand. Right handed, sober using 4 inch nails, two hits every time. Left handed, sober.... maybe 6 hits. Left handed with a few shots..... lots of hits. Left or right handed after 3 hours playing.... line the middle hammer up with the middle nail and miss repeatedly. Maybe I was looking at the wrong middle hammer. There were several of them Very Happy
snow report
Davos has bars with it. I'd just spent about 6 months labouring, including rather a large amount of cleaning bricks with a pointed hammer (where if you miss your mark you take a lump out of your hand) and roofing. Not surprisingly, I was rather good at it. Won a few drinks that night.

It got to the point after a few days where some of the local guys got their "hot shot" team together, a few ski instructors, a guy from behind the bar, and we had a game. Those guys were putting them in with a single strike, three at a time - the game we played was with 3 nails side by side, you had to hit them one at a time in quick succession. If anyone missed one nail (if you could get a fingernail under the head) they were pretty much automatic loser, everyone else had got it nailed. They had to have a final nail in the centre of the log to separate some of the guys who had put them straight down every single time. I lost a few drinks that night Smile

Definitely one for the patio come the summer.
snow conditions
"Hammerschlagen" in youtube seems to bring up plenty of videos of it

http://youtube.com/v/TiUuSC-vJqA
ski holidays
They're playing with the hammer on top of the log to start. The pros play with the hammer below the top of the log, so you've got to go forward a few inches as well as up and down. Anybody can hit a nail the way in the video, just fix your elbow and you'll hit it every time. Or not, as they have demonstrated Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy