Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best View in Grandvalira?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

So I'm going to Soldeu in January and learning to ski (I'm originally a boarder, but have been convinced to try skis).

I went to Pas a few years ago and can seem to remember that the Rosingol Run was pretty scenic and also quite quiet, but I couldn't remember if there were any other areas in particular where you get a great view out over the area. I'm planning something special and want to have a great view to do it. If it's an area that is only accessible by harder runs that's not an issue as I'll just jump on a board and crack on Smile

Thanks in advance for any tips.

P.S. I'm new to Snowheads so be kind!

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not in resort but behind the town (walk up the road by the Hotel Soldeu Maistre) you can walk up into the hills and get to some quiet, scenic spots quite quickly. Easy to recce beforehand

Can't think of anywhere on the mountains but I don't know it well enough and I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will be along. Welcome to snowheads!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a few lovely cat tracks around Grau Roig

That was my favourite part of Grandvalira
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good luck with the something special you're planning.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cortals restaurant is nice.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Inside the ski area, I think the nicest view is from the Pessons restaurant that overlooks the frozen lake, half way down the Camí de Pessons red piste in the Grau Roig sector. Probably followed by the top of the Montmalús part of Grau Roig (there's a red and black piste down from there, but a slightly awkward drag lift up, albeit a nice Grandvalira drag lift that has lots of elasticity in the perch, thus avoiding the jerk that comes with the old style drag lift that many other ski resorts have). Of course, the panoramic restaurant that sits between the Grau Roig and Soldeu sectors (above the "Pla de les Pedres" area) is also nice. Out of resort, and about a half-hour to an hour's walk away, you can get deep inside the Incles valley, which you enter from the sharp bend in the road that's about half way between Soldeu and El Tarter villages.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 31-10-17 23:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^ cross-post, Happy but yup, that's the panoramic one!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd second the above posts - Cortals or Pessons.

Pessons restaurant is also a champagne bar I think so you could pop a cork as part of your something special).

The one warning I'd give about the Cortals restaurant - it's a genuinely gorgeous view, but usually really busy there so there'd be a bit of an audience...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The view as you look over your shoulder on the way out .......
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, we are heading out there out to meet my stepD for Christmas week as she has been given Soldeu as her resort for this winter.
@BCjohnny, I've never skied in Andorra before, what is it about the area that makes you so aloof?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kingofthec wrote:

The one warning I'd give about the Cortals restaurant - it's a genuinely gorgeous view, but usually really busy there so there'd be a bit of an audience...

Just get there at non-lunchtime. I think we turned up for lunch - during a holiday week - at 11.40am, and it was nearly empty. An hour later is a whole different story.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dode wrote:
...... what is it about the area that makes you so aloof?

Sorry baby ain't being aloof, don't know how to be, the whole deal is just really a bit gash in fairness, when all's said and done .......

There are so many better places to go, find yourself a nice understated area in the Alps ......... and the 'cheapness', all things considered, is most definitely overstated ......... AAJMO
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BCjohnny, the op states he is planning something special, and is looking for a scenic spot. You chip in with "the view over your shoulder on the way out". Why bother, really.

There may be many better places to go that are nicer and more understated. But my stepD won't be there. We will be celebrating her promotion to resort manager with a family Xmas. It would be the same if she was in Zermatt or Bansko.

Ps. Why mention 'cheapness'
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hell everyone,

Thank you for your suggestions so far, really appreciate it!! Keep them coming, I'm not going until January so plenty of time to finalise any locations.
Quote:

we are heading out there out to meet my stepD for Christmas week

@dode let me know if you see any other areas when you head out over Christmas Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Aggerdoo, Will do.
snow report
dode wrote:
@BCjohnny, the op states he is planning something special, and is looking for a scenic spot. You chip in with "the view over your shoulder on the way out". Why bother, really.

You know what, arr kid, I really love my views .........

Sitting atop Blackomb mountain watching the arc of the coastal range peel away ....... that's a view.

There is nothing, repeat nothing like it, around Grandvalira. Lunar comes pretty close ........
snow conditions
'Baby' 'arr kid' learn to love your spelling.
snow report
Yeah well ......

I can spake proppa ....... or I can use colloquialisms ......

But I don't tend to pick up others who choose either ....... wink

Regardless ..... the view's mostly crap.
snow report
@Aggerdoo, hope she says yes!

Welcome to Snowheads, we’re not all dickheads on here, honestly...🙄
snow conditions
@Aggerdoo, the girl arrived in resort yesterday. After a day of blizzard, she spent 45mins digging her car out of a foot of snow, at resort level, should be more up top Very Happy
3 weeks and counting.
ski holidays
@dode, seriously? I’ve been watching various GV webcams over the last week, resort is open with snow but I didn’t think that much (I look at depth on roofs to guess if there was a recent dump).

Anyway, hope she enjoys it!
snow report
@Orange200, here is her car...

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/24174173_10156213584349131_3448898198927917663_n.jpg?oh=c49b45ead9a075d9f0f0e06f3ce2e6d2&oe=5A9BA052

Very Happy
snow report
Where? Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Soldeu
snow conditions
No I meant where in the picture. All I can see is a snowdrift Very Happy
snow report
@Orange200, Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Aggerdoo, we only had two clear days in our week, heavy snow & limited visibility for the rest. I was struck by the lack of piste-side huts. Eating places mostly seem to congregate around the tops of the gondolas up from the villages.
Most offerings have been already mentioned. The Rossinyol run has the best views of the mountains in their natural state, without any lift systems. But their isn't a hut, or such like, there.
The stepD pointed out an ice hotel at Grau Roig, but it was still 'under construction' when we were there, so no idea of what it will finally look like. Visitors are welcome though.
There is a champagne bar at the top of the Soldeu bubble (turn right and ski 50m or so, you can't miss the tall, thin yellow flags) but it's views may not be as good as the one @Kingofthec, suggested.

Ps. Best bit of advice I can give is to wrap up warm. All the lift system, other than a few gondolas up from resort level, are uncovered, unheated chairs. They can get bitingly cold if the wind is up.
latest report
@BCjohnny, are you stantons brother?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Aggerdoo, what happened??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy