Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to decide where to best rent skis

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking at purchasing my own boots and was wondering how people go about deciding where to rent their skis (only) and how they know whether they are going to be any good.
Been skiing in La Plagne for last few years and pretty much used Ski Republic because of the price - but you get what you pay for which in the case of Ski Republic is skis several seasons old.
Kids are older and I want to get more out of the skiing so figured I should try some where else providing I can get better equipment to match the new boots, but how do you know what they are going to be giving you is any good?
Tried renting from a very good ski school out there one year but was sorely disappointed by the quality of the fitters and the kit (Can not fault the instructor). Had son coming back down from a hard red by himself with his snowboard straps flapping about as the screws had been pulled out. To add insult he was late for a private lesson at same place and we never even got an apology.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@swarmcatcher, You have to test different skis to figure out what kind of skis you like... If you dont like the ones they give you, take them back and change them.
If it comes back to how you choose the shop you rent from then reach out to the good people on here and tap into their renting experiences. I'm travelling to Saalbach in January and @Tatmans Tours, has kindly recommended a place to hire from. Local knowledge is king!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Consider getting on next years snowhead tests at Chillfactore and Hemel (you've just missed 2017's...)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132740

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132736
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
letsgetpiste wrote:
@swarmcatcher, I'm travelling to Saalbach in January and @Tatmans Tours, has kindly recommended a place to hire from. Local knowledge is king!!

http://www.hansis-skiverleih.at/Hansis-Skiverleih-Saalbach-Home_lang,en,pid,47308,type,firmeninfo.html

Hansis Best Price in Saalbach
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
swarmcatcher wrote:
but you get what you pay for which in the case of Ski Republic is skis several seasons old

Do you go for the cheapest option?
Most ski rental shops have a bronze / silver / gold or equivalent....
Gold being this years kit, bronze being 1985's...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's just pot luck IMV. And the best rental shop in the world can't indemnify around fixings coming loose in snowboard bindings. You really have to know enough yourself to know things are secure.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I used precision ski last year in Tignes. I paid about £50 for skis/poles. I went for the 2nd top option. I got a couple of week old Blizzard Brahma's. I think that is outstanding value personally.

Used them again for this season. No affiliation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm travelling to Saalbach in January and @Tatmans Tours, has kindly recommended a place to hire from. Local knowledge is king!!

@letsgetpiste, Blush Blush Blush Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swarmcatcher, in recent years I've used suppliers linked to Skimium (a partner of Decathlon). Worked very well for me in Arcs 1800, Courchevel 1850, Tignes and Megeve. I have a Decathlon card which gives extra discount. Often get discount codes by email too and multiple discounts can be applied. I've rented their top grade piste, or all mountain skis, depending on conditions.

I've been very satisfied with quality, price and customer service. I've paid a small extra supplement sometimes to enable swap to try out different skis (and snowboard once). Only disappointment was when I took their extra insurance in Les Arcs, as snow was limited and pistes a bit rocky. I wiped out one edge, directly beneath binding. I expected insurance to cover this but small print meant I had to pay about 40 euros extra. Given the ski was brand new and I'd written it off, I didn't complain too much.

Worth doing homework about specific ski brand and model. I email shop direct about a week before departure requesting a particular type. Have always got that or a suitable alternative, which they consulted with me about in advance. Decent skis then reserved before the weekend scrum starts in the shop.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I rent gear for friends, Skimium have always been the best kit and the best price. My local shop is full of Cham 97s and plenty of hot piste hooning kit with the top price being €23/day incl boots.

I have also taken my own kit to them for adjustments and they have never charged me.

As @intermediate says, if you have a Decathalon card (I don't) you get even better discounts.

The theft and damage insurance is €2 per day. The excess is €50 (for 17/18 ) and theft isn't covered between 6pm and 9am.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
6pm is prime apres time when they’re most like to go for a walk..... odd policy. Most winter sports cover includes this though
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

how people go about deciding where to rent their skis

I always try to choose a place that has red ones, as they are the fastest
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Appreciate the feedback.
I usually pick the most expensive option but had never really looked at what I was getting once in the resort. Last year I took a photo of the skis and the boots I was using, I returned a pair of skis during the week as the edge just came away from the ski and as usual had to get the bindings firmed up to stop the skis being bumped off as soon as i went near the bumps.
The boots are always too wide and I usually pack them with a couple of insoles to tighten them up.
I've always thought boots were crap from rentals but haven't been able to justify buying my own as my life long partner is not a skier and as a result she can think of much better things to spend the money on. But this year we are going to be one skier less and most kit from last year still fits the youngest so kit expenditure will be down so hoping I can slip the £400 in unnoticed.

Boots were Lange SX RTL 80 and for the skis I finally ended up with Head Supershape i. Magnum - which were great on piste (but dodgy at speed, probably because of the boots being so floppy) also i struggled on the bumps with them again i'm thinking it was the boot fit more than anything.

Just been looking up those Cham 97s got to say they look good, just checked to see what Skimium have on offer in La Plagne centre appears they are offering Dynastar Legend X84, anyone know anything about these? Sure they will be a good ski just can't find much on them yet
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I always try to choose a place that has red ones, as they are the fastest

@DrLawn, I would respectfully disagree - assuming you mean the orangey-red ones with white writing, last season I upgraded from those to the black ones with green writing (and pretty green sidewalls), and I found them much faster. Toofy Grin

(Also my grey boots were £20 from my local Oxfam shop and fit me perfectly - the most comfortable that I 've ever had.)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swarmcatcher, The skis are what I would expect for a premium piste package. The boots you got are very soft, beginners level, and too big. It would be a start to at least watch some YouTube videos about how boots should fit and feel.
latest report
@swarmcatcher, if going back to get bindings tightened is ‘as usual’ why not get them set to a higher DIN in the first place Puzzled
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@swarmcatcher, if going back to get bindings tightened is ‘as usual’ why not get them set to a higher DIN in the first place Puzzled

Probably nothing to do with DIN. More likely forward pressure i.e. the binding isn't properly adjusted to the boot length. Real life pre release on a properly adjusted binding is pretty rare in normal skiing (i.e. non hucking)
snow report
It sounds like you've been skiing for a few years so should know what you do/don't like, what type of skiing you're in to and also when a pair of skis just don't feel 'right'. As such I'd splash out on the top price package - but make sure you get your money's worth.

Go basic/red and you're getting skis a season or two old and only given the minimum servicing when they really can't get away with putting them back in the rack Friday for someone else to hire on Saturday. Yes the hire shop are making money from you but not huge amounts so can only expect a Ryanair level of service from the shop.

Go to the top of the package tree and you're looking at new kit that gets serviced more often - though still not every week. You're paying more so the shop are making more out of you and you can expect more in return, so...

1) Tell them what sort of skiing you like to do. Are you a piste cruiser/a high speed carver/black straightliner/powder hound/etc? If they know you have a better chance of them handing you a pair of skis that suit your type of skiing.
2) Gently drag your thumb nail across the edges. Sharp edges should shave a tiny amount of nail off. Reasonably sharp ones you should be able to at least feel there's an edge there. If they don't feel sharp hand them back to the ski tech and say "These edges aren't very sharp". Most will swap them for a freshly serviced set without a word.
3) If at the end of day 2, when you've got your ski legs back, you just aren't getting on with them for some reason pop back to the shop and tell them. Again most will just swap them for a different make without complaint.

Sure you could rent budget skis and try the same but might not have so much luck.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
1) Tell them what sort of skiing you like to do. Are you a piste cruiser/a high speed carver/black straightliner/powder hound/etc? If they know you have a better chance of them handing you a pair of skis that suit your type of skiing.

You can tell them all this and more, but it won't make a blind bit of difference to the skis you get. Most, if not all, rental shops have two types of skis in each of their price bands, on piste and off-piste. You can wang on to your hearts content about how like to drive it hard through the turn on steep reds (or whatever), and they'll nod politely then reach behind them and give you the next planks in line. If you're very lucky and they have the time/inclination, and have actually been listening to you, they might point out some characteristics of the skis that match what you've just told them, so you can tell everyone how you basically hand picked your skis to match your style and personal specification. They are very good at this.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 31-10-17 16:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Probably nothing to do with DIN. More likely forward pressure i.e. the binding isn't properly adjusted to the boot length. Real life pre release on a properly adjusted binding is pretty rare in normal skiing (i.e. non hucking)

Good point, but still seems like something that you shouldn't need to go back to get checked regularly. Mind you, I don't ski hard enough anyway so hasn't been a problem I've had.
latest report
Quote:

Most, if not all, rental shops have two types of skis in each of their price bands, on piste and off-piste.

This is absolutely not the case around Chamonix.

F'rinstance, Concept offer the following in their "Expert" range, Volkl One, Volkl Shiro, K2 Shreditor 102, Blizzard Cochise, K2 Annex 118, Volkl Mantra, Armada Norwalk, Armada JJ, Armada TST W, Blizzard Quattro 7.7W, Blizzard Samba, Blizzard Quattro 7.7, Blizzard Quattro 8.4TI, Blizzard Bonafide, Blizzard Spur, Blizzard Gunsmoke, Elan Race SLX, Elan Amphibio 84 TI, Faction Candide 3.0, Faction Supertonic, K2 Pinnacle 105, Line Supernatural 100, Line Mordecai, Volkl RTM 81, Volkl 90Eight, Volkl 90Eight W, Volkl 100Eight, Volkl 100Eight W, Volkl Two, Volkl Kenja, Volkl One W

All in top notch condition (as are all their other skis).

https://www.conceptproshopchamonix.com/rental_order_items

Arguably a wider line up than many shops have for sale.

Similar runs for Sanglard and Coquoz for sure, I'd expect likewise for Snell, etc.

I'd also expect the same for e.g. FB Sports or All Mountain in Morzine.
snow report
@under a new name, it's also not the case for Jenneweinne in St Anton, but they and Concept are a cut above the average hire shop catering to a very knowledgeable crowd.

Post amended accordingly.
snow conditions
@Dr John, titter. snowHead

I think I might amend "most" to "many" actually. At least two of the not very many shops in Champoluc have pretty extensive ranges. One of them even had full on race Stöcklis a few years ago.

Mind you, if you stick with e.g. "Ski Republic" I am sure you're right.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
You can tell them all this and more, but it won't make a blind bit of difference to the skis you get. Most, if not all, rental shops have two types of skis in each of their price bands, on piste and off-piste.

I can honestly say this has never been my experience and actually engaging with the staff always has always gotten a better result. This even applies in small Skiset shops (in Belle Plagne) - Four of us had booked skis back when they were doing a "Pick the exact skis you want and they are the ones' you'll get (subject to availability)" thing. The first two of us just accepted the skis we were given, assuming it was just marking BS. The third questioned it saying she'd booked X skis and wanted X skis. The tech. walked around the back of the general rack and reappeared with the booked skis with her name on them. The rest of the group followed suit and the first two of us spent a week in envy as we skied on airport knife edges and they skied on things sharper than my razor!

From then on we've always talked to ski techs., be that "I don't tend to get on with Atomics" (queue a pair of Volks or something appearing) or "I'm not getting on with these (BBRs), can I have something else" (queue something else appearing).
snow conditions
@under a new name, I used Ski Republic in Les Coches on the recommendation of the people that we were renting accommodation from. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but there will be Snowheads (not just spyderjon!) that have a bigger selection of skis.
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, i’m not quite sure what you are getting at (other than that maybe I’m being a bit crusl to Ski Republic)?
snow report
I've not found service and choice in rental shops anywhere near as bad as @Dr John, suggests. I think you have to do a bit of homework and be assertive if necessary though.
I did use Ski Republic a couple of times and wasn't impressed. Cheap but not great choice, quality or condition of skis. I thought they'd been taken over but from posts above seems they're still going. The Ryanair of the ski rental world IMO.
ski holidays
Crusl = cruel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, i’m not quite sure what you are getting at (other than that maybe I’m being a bit crusl to Ski Republic)?

I might have got the wrong end of the stick, but I interpreted your post that you were suggesting that Ski Republic don't tend to have a decent selection. I was just backing up that, in my experience, that's certainly the case.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, ahhh, now I see what you mean. Yep, that.
snow report
Quote:

@swarmcatcher, if going back to get bindings tightened is ‘as usual’ why not get them set to a higher DIN in the first place

Mainly because I have explained to the guys in the shop how I ski, given them my height and weight and they know far more about binding settings than I. But when I find myself losing a ski whilst travelling at speed I take them back for the adjustment. It has happened 3 years running which i don't really understand as you would think they would have the details in their system, But I would rather that than have them too tight and find my knee knacked.
snow report
@swarmcatcher, why not just learn what your DIN should be and ask for that?
ski holidays
@swarmcatcher, fair point, although IME the interpretation of different ski techs can vary, I’ve had bindings set at 6 and others at 8
latest report
swarmcatcher wrote:
Mainly because I have explained to the guys in the shop how I ski, given them my height and weight and they know far more about binding settings than I. But when I find myself losing a ski whilst travelling at speed I take them back for the adjustment. It has happened 3 years running which i don't really understand as you would think they would have the details in their system, But I would rather that than have them too tight and find my knee knacked.

Are you putting yourself down as an intermediate with an average/balanced level of aggression, when in fact you're an advanced skier with an aggressive style by any chance? These are (can) also be used in the DIN calculation - an advanced skier who makes aggressive turns is intentionally putting loads through the binding that a beginner/intermediate nervous/relaxed skier would only generate when things had gone wrong. Clearly one skier wants the skis to come off while the other doesn't and if you don't tell the tech. you're in the higher DIN group they'll play it safe and assume you're the lower one (an advanced skier popping out while skiing fast but under control is less likely to get injured than a beginner not popping out when they get it wrong).

Certainly in Morzine you're classified as an advanced skier if you can get down a black (without a little bit of poo coming out) - and you get tutted at by the woman in the ski school and told as much when you book a private lesson saying you're an intermediate who can get down blacks but wants to work on technique on steep slopes. Very Happy
snow report
Unexpected release from a properly adjusted binding is often down to snow (or mud) under the boot sole...

You really shouldn't need to crank the DIN up excessively - admittedly and reasonably shops will err on the side of caution - but still.
ski holidays
@swarmcatcher, have you checked what they have set the DIN to originally and what they set it to after you've gone back in? Does the higher setting mean they only release when you expect it?
latest report
It can be helpful if you can either remember or photograph the skis you like from a previous trip and find a ski shop hiring similar/the same model. On binding settings, they always err on the side of caution even if you ask for a specific setting but many resorts have screwdrivers available at the top or bottom of lifts and you can adjust them accordingly yourself.
snow conditions
Apart from beginners, why don't people take responsibility for their own safety and adjust their bindings themselves?
Most lifts have a big flat head screw driver for public use at the top or bottom or both.
Go and ski a bumpy steep piste to work the binding hard, and see if they release. If they do - crank them up a notch.
Next go somewhere easier and deliberately induce a few falls to see if they release - if not, then you might want to loosen them off a bit.
The shop will not know how heavy you are ( with all your kit, camera, backpack etc ), how hard you work the bindings in terms of how much force you put through them, or does your input just go through soft knees, ankles, technique, balance, posture etc.. Consider whether you put equal force on left on right when turning ( do you turn one way better than the other?)
The shop will only set them up according to the DIN settings given by the manufacturer, and unless you were the person upon whom Deutsches Institut für Normung did their testing, then probably they're only "nearly" right.
Given that we are all different and all ski differently, its down to individuals to set their kit up to suit them.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, What?
Quote:
deliberately induce a few falls to see if they release
- Yes, marvellous - and test the breaking strain of your knee ligaments at the same time

Too weak? that's fine - at least now you know - just take the rest of the season off and make sure you do your rehab over the summer.

Shocked rolling eyes

No. That's not a good idea whatsoever!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@WindOfChange, What?
Quote:
deliberately induce a few falls to see if they release
- Yes, marvellous - and test the breaking strain of your knee ligaments at the same time

Too weak? that's fine - at least now you know - just take the rest of the season off and make sure you do your rehab over the summer.

Shocked rolling eyes

No. That's not a good idea whatsoever!

You have to be able to withstand a fall or two.
If you're knees are shot, then it's gonna happen sooner or later anyhow.
Might as well be somewhere safe and of your choosing, rather than on the Couloir du Couboré, or somewhere the helicopter can't land.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy