Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to Ski / Board In June ??

Poster: A snowHead
Hopefully someone has some information on this for me.

I am looking to find somewhere to ski and board for our honeymoon in mid June, can anyone give me some info on where to head for some guaranteed good snow in a lift servied resort. I am assuming Europe is out but as it is a Honeymoon we can afford to travel further afield.

Many Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome Fastmonkey,

Don't really know where in June. Probably NZ??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes - for a few hours everyday.

Too hard very early in the morning and too heavy late on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fastmonkey, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead

Never done it myself though maybe this year I'll squeeze something in. Lots of places in Europe - Hintertux in Austria, Les Deux Alpes, Tignes and Val Thorens in France, Saas Fee in Switzerland have gotta be the best known. All glaciers, obviously. Otherwise down under in Oz and NZ or Chile and Argentina. I'm sure places in Scandinavia and US too. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fastmonkey, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

We had this 'problem', so we got married in December! wink...that didn't help really?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Hopkinson,

Where did you have your Honeymoon?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fastmonkey,

We also planned our wedding round the ski season and went to Lake Louise on 29th November as it was snow sure
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for everyones replies, checked a few NZ resorts out and they sem to open mid to late June that is a bit of a risk to go all that way maybe ?

Anyone now when the season in Chile / Argentina runs ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
June probably too early for S America, A Basin in colorado will almost certainly still be open & Mammoth sometimes lasts that long. Mt Hood in Oregon or Blackcomb are other bets plus the Euro glacier places.

But you'd probably in terms of skiing quality be better having a smaller homeymoon then pushing the boat out for an Alskan Helitrip or whatever the next winter (That's what I'd do anyway Very Happy )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fastmonkey,

Is the date definately June?? No chance of waiting till the Autumn. Lake Louise and Sunshine in Canada usually open mid November
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy, Westendorf (in January), we decided you shouldn't be too hardline about honeymoon following wedding directly wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fastmonkey, easy, Riksgransen inside the Swedish arctic circle. They're open until end of June and at that time of year the lifts are open at midnight on Saturdays to enable you to ski under the midnight sun! Great hotel there and one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Search under Riksgransen on here or PM me for more gen.

Also it would make you an arctic fastmonkey, which is pretty cool!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ian Hopkinson,

Ah, so that's why it's so special
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Sparks, That sounds very romantic Fastmonkey, you should definitely check that one out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve Sparks, I think you are onto something there too
snow report
Hintertux, Austria. We have skiied there in June and the walk down off the glacier (don't panic you can do the whole thing by Gondola!) is wonderful.
snow report
Forgot to say it's where the Austrian plus lots of other nationalities do their summer skiing and snowboarding training. Word of caution don't go off piste the cravases are emormous in the summer....they lost a pistebasher down one a couple of summers ago! If you want somewhere nice to stay the Rinderhof at the bottom of the glacier is lovely.
snow conditions
Why not really spoil yourselves and go to South America. Portillo in Chile welcomes honeymooners. Another very nice hotel is the Grand in Termas de Chillan. Check out the websites. Worth a stopover in Buenos Aires for a bit of tango.
ski holidays
Wow so impressed with everyones kind responses. looks like we might get our wish to ski in June for our Honeymoon. The date is set for the 10th and can't be moved so I have to work round this. Though there is always the though of a small honeymoon in June and a big one early winter 2006 ..........

Steve Sparks - I've sent you a pm for some more info. Cheers.
snow conditions
Steve Sparks & Fastmonkey, I'm also looking for somewhere to ski May next year, Riksgransen looks like worth investigating, can you post some info here Steve rather than doing it via PM?
ski holidays
June could be a bit hit or miss in NZ. Most fields open end of June to mid July but you never know, I've known my local Turoa to open mid June in the past but it's far from a sure thing.
I think the best bets have already been mentioned ie Mammoth or a Glacier on the continent. Val Senales is another option I don't think has been mentioned yet.
latest report
OK, Fastmonkey, and gregh, I'll post here to share more widely.

I went to Riks in June 2004. At that time of year the skiing's limited to two chairs giving access to three runs at the top, 2 blue one red. All three about 1,500m horizontal, 300m vert. It was just possible to ski back to the resort, but involved walking across a 10m shrubby patch at one point. If you're prepared to hike (or heli) there's a lot more terrain to be explored. But don't get the impression that you're going to have a massive lift system and extensive pistes. I was kept happily amused for a couple of days and the views are awesome.

Riks is on the Swedish/Norwegian border. In fact one of the pistes crosses into Norway so you get to add another country to your list of ones skiied. It grew up as the frontier post on the railway line that carries iron ore from Kiruna to Narvik on the Norwegian coast. There's one hotel there. It's quite big and has a fantastic restaurant. You can even eat Rudolph whilst watching his cousins wandering around outside. It's pricey. I think it was over £100 per night and that was for a room with two bunks, a bit like one I had when I was a student. There are "proper" rooms but they will cost you more. There's a ski hire shop which has good quality kit. There's a small coffee shop on the hill and a rather nice restaurant at the bottom by the lift station.

I flew to Kiruna from Stockholm. It's served by regular SAS flights. It's then about a 90 minute drive to Riks. One of the most beautiful drives I've ever done, in complete wilderness. Watch out for the rudolphs wandering around on the road.

If you do go, I would also recommned a trip to Narvik. About 90 minutes drive, again stunning terrain. If you're there earlier in the year than I was there's some great skiing there. If you've seen Warren Smith's Snow Odyssey he has some good footage of both Riks and Narvik.

The midnight sun thing is fun. The night I skiied it was snowing, so it was more like midnight gloom, but the following evening was beautiful and I climbed a short way up the mountain to get a great view of the sun just bobbling along the Northern horizon before ascending again. Magical. More info on www.riksgransen.nu if you've got anymore specific questions, please ask.
snow conditions
fantastic, thanks.

Any idea what the off piste would be like in the middle of May?

regards,

Greg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy