Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xmas holiday with some skiiing, rather than a ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Hope the title makes sense!
We are looking for a holiday destination over xmas and possibly new year where we can do the odd day skiing, as opposed to a 'normal' ski holiday. i.e its a holiday with a bit of skiing, rather than a load of skiing with a bit of holidaying.
Any ideas, slightly off the wall? kids love ice hockey and skating too, so maybe Sweden? Looks Like we are hitting Canada in feb for a hockey tournament so would rather stick to Europe(ish) for xmas.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lake Annecy? Lovely old town, a few ski resorts within driving distance? Munich? Turin?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saas Fee? Lovely village. Walking, ice skating, curling and snow-shoeing. Ian and the skiing is OK. Day trip to Visp? I think they lay ice hockey there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Innsbruck?
Free ski busses to surrounding resorts. Plenty of non skiing winter activities. Great mountain backdrop.
Non- French prices etc
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interlaken would work. Lots going on, huge Ice Magic skating park, and easy access to Wengen, Grindelwald and Mürren for skiing.

http://www.icemagic.ch/en/home.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@alexl, I can provide feedback on your mention of Sweden. Indeed plenty of ice hockey and skating, and Nordic skating on the lakes in particular is great fun and lovely activity (provided it’s a good winter and lakes are frozen enough). But the sticking point is the ‘proper’ ski areas are a long way from the major cities that have more to do (eg 5 hours plus from Stockholm drive). Stockholm is beautiful - there is one small hill ‘hammarbybacken’ in the city and few on the outskirts which are ok for half a day, and some small resorts at Kungsberget and Romme Alpin that are 2.5 hours away, that are good for a weekend so you could stay one or two nights (car needed). There is also cross country skiing tracks in and around the city.

Second thought is Oslo. There is Tryvann winter park on the outskirts of the city that can be reached by public transport which other Snowheads have said is good for a day or two http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1366281&highlight=tryvann#1366281.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My flat is still available over Christmas Madeye-Smiley
Plenty of skiing, also cross country tracks outside the back door if you fancy a go at that.
For Ice Hockey there is alway the Red Bulls Salzburg about an hour away. Also things like Halllstadt, the Ice Caves and Dachstein glacier with the Ice palace are nearby. There is also the Theme Amade 5 mins down the road if you fancy swimming/pampering. Salzburg itself is about 50 m ins drive, and there is so much to do and see there. Most of the towns here often have a small outdoor skating rink which is usually free to use, (I know Altenmarkt and Wagrains are!)

Hope you find something suitable!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alexl, not off the wall, but Megeve would tick all your boxes, attractive with lots of non-skiing activities.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love Annecy - I was there last week and it was glorious. It can be cold and miserable at Christmas though and far more likely to be raining than snowing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alexl, Davos - huge ice hockey scene, watched a game there 15 years ago whilst on a trip, great atmosphere. Great skiing and proper town, also Klosters etc neighbouring so plenty of chocolate box stuff if snow good. Expensive though.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Innsbruck
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, Good shout, could also add Salzburg I guess.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd second Innsbruck or Oslo. Maybe Interlacken.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oslo is painfully expensive though...if that's a factor

What about Iceland? Greatest country in the world imo
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@alexl, Briancon have a very good ice hockey team, and the town is well worth a mooch around, There's a thermal spa in Monetier, and skiing if you want it. Dog sledding, country walks, x-country skiing. But it may still be too much of a ski destination for you.
snow report
Zakopane, Poland.
Some amazing cottages to rent
snow report
Have you looked at weissensee Austria. The lake is famous for ice skating and holds the alternative 11 cities dutch skating race. They clear a skating track of around 12km. Down hill and cross country skiing as well
snow conditions
I haven't been myself to the city, but what about Ljubljana? loads of sightseeing (Soca river, lake Bled, Triglav park), and skiing within half hour.
ski holidays
Zell am see has a good rink and most of the UK regional squads head out there for camps Happy
snow report
@alexl, ps I have a load of hockey gear, bags etc for sale if you need anything Laughing
ski holidays
Hemel or Milton Keynes?
latest report
Why not look first at the Ice Hockey calendar to see where there are games that week.
snow report
I thought again about this in work, doesn't Meribel have a huge indoor ice rink up by the village? My brain may be slightly addled but I seem to remember one up by the Office du Tourism. Lots of lovely shops and restaurants too.

Skiing is fab and you could pop down to Annecy (or Alberville) as many of the others suggested as its so very pretty! I know Meribel has a big bowling alley and some ice climbing too I think.
ski holidays
@moseyp, speaking of painfully expensive, hello Iceland.
latest report
Sorry to be a misery guts again but I wouldn't bother popping down to Albertville! Annecy is much nicer but as I noted above, often rather cold and driech in mid-winter. I also wouldn't want to go to Meribel for a non-skiing holiday and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't choose it for a skiing holiday either, especially at Christmas (resort level might not be v pretty - it's quite low). Of all the 3V locations Courchevel 1850 might be best for non-skiing but I think there are lots of better suggestions - including, in France, Megeve. Yes, that's a bit low too, but it's got more to offer than Meribel IMHO. It's an easy drive to Chamonix - and a trip up the Aiguille du Midi is always exciting, if the weather/vis is good. Wrap up warm, though.

Plenty of ice hockey in Megeve (and nearby Sallanches) - and I've seen ads for Polo on ice too, though have no idea what it's like.
ski holidays
The Austrians love their tobboganing ( Rodel) the longest model run is 14km and is near Zell am see. But most areas have a selection of prepared model tracks.
ski holidays
@pam w, Polo in Megeve is usually later in January I thought. Chamonix is a Ligue Magnus (top level) ice hockey team and will be playing at home during Christmas week. Other LM teams in the Alps are Grenoble and Gap.
latest report
Innsbruck may well have some ski jumping to watch first week of Jan.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@alexl, ps I have a load of hockey gear, bags etc for sale if you need anything Laughing

I've already got a garage full (and a lounge full, and a car full....) Most people have umbrellas or coats by the front door - I've got about 20 hockey sticks!

Thanks for all the replies chaps and chappettes - I'll have a dig through and come up with a plan
snow report
@alexl, haha wee man is only 5, started 6 months ago, I've got dragged into playing rec so the garage is now awash with all things wintersports Skullie
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@alexl, haha wee man is only 5, started 6 months ago, I've got dragged into playing rec so the garage is now awash with all things wintersports Skullie

Haha - wait a few years - mine are 12 and 10 - been playing since 5 and it rules our lives at the moment!
ski holidays
Going on from what @horizon, suggested, Ljubljana old town is compact, pretty and inexpensive. Lake Bled is like something out of a Disney cartoon. All good.
To throw another suggestion into the mix, what about Lapland?, my stepD did a season there last winter and loved it. Visit Santa, go husky sledding or snowmobiling to the Russian border, amazing northern lights, skiing by floodlight after 2pm with huts at the side of the piste that only have a fire and reindeer skins to keep the chill off.
snow report
@dode, I was going to suggest this too, but there is only an ice rink on the lake (ish)

It's started snowing there tho now which is a bonus Happy
snow report
I all seriousness Innsbruck takes some beating for what the OP asks.
snow conditions
@mr. mike, Iceland isn't that bad, not like Oslo. It's all relative I guess. If you live in London or Dublin, Iceland won't be much more expensive (it's just certainly won't be cheaper) - whereas Norway is noticeably different. There's only two places I've been really shocked by the price of stuff and that's Oslo and Geneva Airport....
snow report
@rjs, I was there for the polo masters in March but I think there's more than one competition so could be Jan too
snow conditions
Oh I just remembered it was mid/late January but got postponed to March-can't remember why
latest report
We like doing holiday plus skiing. Last Easter did Olso and Trysil, and yes some things like eating out were eye-wateringly expensive but other things were not so bad (when compared to other Euro ski costs).A Norwegian I sat next to on one lift said Norway was between Austria and Switzerland in terms of cost. Closer to Switzerland I would say. But we did have a great time. Olso was great to visit and enjoyed the skiing with great ski school and a pleasant medium sized area which had snow over the late Easter.

This Xmas we are doing Innsbruck to take in the Xmas markets for a few days then onto Hochzillertal to ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy