Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A month in Alps

Poster: A snowHead
While I can’t move definitely, I’ve Been thinking in move for a month to the Alps, probably March, where prices are supposed to be more reasonable.

I would be working remotely most weekdays and thought skiing if night skiing if available + weekends.

Has anyone done it ? I’m finding pretty hard to find locations with reasonable prices.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gustavobs, not so many places do night skiing. You can do it in Garmisch on the slalom run (Gudiberg) and I believe one slope in Kitzbühel/Kirchberg. What is your definition of reasonable prices?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Night skiing in March?
Pistes slushy during the day, freeze instantly when the sun does down. Piste bashers then lay down frozen corduroy which is like skiing a corrugated tin roof.

You'd be better skiing a couple of hours at lunch to be honest.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gustavobs, I guess you're running into the problem that properties are typically rented for the season (or year) and thus "normal" prices or by the week which are significantly inflated.

Night skiing in my experience a poor plan anyway, and I don't know many places who run it as a main attraction + wot @davidof says.

Chamonix has at least one co-working space - maybe you could find a flat share e.g. from someone who's gone home due injury, heartbreak or such?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have a car, and can cope with a 15-20 minute drive to the slopes, then finding cheap accommodation for a month is pretty easy - how many people is it for btw ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to clarify what you mean by 'working remotely'? Do you mean that you should be able to work during the day in your accommodation, remote from your office/home? Then you'll try to find odd slots during the day when you could ski, and at the Weekend.

If so, then yes, I'd say it's entirely feasible. If you need the internet then a big criteria will be the availability of dedicated wired broadband in your accommodation (even if the last stretch is WiFi) i.e. not a flaky shared lowband resort WiFi. So this is more probable in a small studio/apartment. My wife has often observed that in retrospect, she could as easily have got through 2-3 weeks being based in our Alpine apartment as in her office, given the limited degree to which other people actually turned up at her office ....

The agent that rents our place in the 4 Valleys often gets requests for longer rentals from people who are visiting relatives or whose partner is on a short attachment to one of the agencies around Lake Geneva (FIFA, Olympics, WHO etc). Usually the client expects a pretty big discount, but it's attractive for both sides as it's at least guaranteed. However, many agencies don't bother passing these queries on as they are after their cut and it's not in their interest to drop the rate.

I'd suggest that you pick a likely resort and then email the Tourist Office and a couple of rental agencies and see what comes back. Make it clear you expect a discount on the standard rate for your period booking. Most of the websites don't really have any mechanism to handle this sort of booking other than just using the full rate for the full period.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang wrote:
@Gustavobs, not so many places do night skiing. You can do it in Garmisch on the slalom run (Gudiberg) and I believe one slope in Kitzbühel/Kirchberg. What is your definition of reasonable prices?

I was think 1500 or preferably less. Was looking Kitzbühel !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Night skiing in March?
Pistes slushy during the day, freeze instantly when the sun does down. Piste bashers then lay down frozen corduroy which is like skiing a corrugated tin roof.

You'd be better skiing a couple of hours at lunch to be honest.

A bit disappointing then. Thought that would be an option to optimise my time there
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@Gustavobs, I guess you're running into the problem that properties are typically rented for the season (or year) and thus "normal" prices or by the week which are significantly inflated.

Night skiing in my experience a poor plan anyway, and I don't know many places who run it as a main attraction + wot @davidof says.

Chamonix has at least one co-working space - maybe you could find a flat share e.g. from someone who's gone home due injury, heartbreak or such?

Seems night skiing is really not a great option then. Flat share wouldn’t be ideal mainly bc my wife will be coming most of the time and we want a approximate experience as living there permanently
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
WindOfChange wrote:
If you have a car, and can cope with a 15-20 minute drive to the slopes, then finding cheap accommodation for a month is pretty easy - how many people is it for btw ?

Myself and wife! Driving is not an issue but would prefer not to if possible. Parking is always a pain though haven’t experienced parking in ski resorts
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LaForet wrote:
Just to clarify what you mean by 'working remotely'? Do you mean that you should be able to work during the day in your accommodation, remote from your office/home? Then you'll try to find odd slots during the day when you could ski, and at the Weekend.

If so, then yes, I'd say it's entirely feasible. If you need the internet then a big criteria will be the availability of dedicated wired broadband in your accommodation (even if the last stretch is WiFi) i.e. not a flaky shared lowband resort WiFi. So this is more probable in a small studio/apartment. My wife has often observed that in retrospect, she could as easily have got through 2-3 weeks being based in our Alpine apartment as in her office, given the limited degree to which other people actually turned up at her office ....

The agent that rents our place in the 4 Valleys often gets requests for longer rentals from people who are visiting relatives or whose partner is on a short attachment to one of the agencies around Lake Geneva (FIFA, Olympics, WHO etc). Usually the client expects a pretty big discount, but it's attractive for both sides as it's at least guaranteed. However, many agencies don't bother passing these queries on as they are after their cut and it's not in their interest to drop the rate.

I'd suggest that you pick a likely resort and then email the Tourist Office and a couple of rental agencies and see what comes back. Make it clear you expect a discount on the standard rate for your period booking. Most of the websites don't really have any mechanism to handle this sort of booking other than just using the full rate for the full period.

That’s the case! Will do that, thanks for the suggestion!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gustavobs, You are aware that early March is still the half term holiday period in France so prices will remain somewhat elevated until March 11th
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gustavobs, got an accommodation budget in mind?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
@Gustavobs, You are aware that early March is still the half term holiday period in France so prices will remain somewhat elevated until March 11th

Fair point!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@Gustavobs, got an accommodation budget in mind?

Thinking in 1500 tops
ski holidays
@Gustavobs, I'd head to Ski Amade, its cheaper and holds snow
latest report
I’ve done month rentals in both Les Arcs and Serre Chevalier. Both times I spent a bit of time scouring the private rental sites - homelidays, mediahols etc and then contacting the owners direct to see if they’d do a discount for a longer booking. I always paid below 1500, and that was for a relatively large apartment. Each time I booked in January, avoiding the French school holidays - there’s a page on here with a pdf of all the European school holidays for 17-18.
ski holidays
Gustavobs wrote:

Seems night skiing is really not a great option then.

it is not a great option unless there is some fresh snow during the day. It is the kind of thing people do once in a season for grins, it is like summer skiing but worse.

Get out early in the morning or lunch or late afternoon for an hour is a better idea.
latest report
I'm spending a month in Soll 3 Feb to 3 March. I got a good deal through the tourist office. Twin room in guesthouse including breakfast for 260 Euros a week.
ski holidays
@speachmaus, You'll need more than that in beer money! wink
ski holidays
@Markymark29, oh I know. But I've accounted for that. Bring it on 🍺🍻🍷❤⛷🥂🍾🍻🍺
latest report
I'm also thinking of having a month off work (January). I saw on an old thread a suggestion to check out 'airbnb'. It looks like this could work for resorts that are more ski town based.
snow report
I'm also inTyrol for January/February if anyone wants to meet up/join in.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy