Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best bootfitters in Tignes, Morzine or Avoriaz?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm hoping to book a short to trip to either Tignes, Morzine, Avoriaz, Engelberg or Saalbach in February and I was wondering if anyone knows of good bootfitters in any of these resorts? I haven't narrowed down a resort yet but the best bootfitters will help with that decision.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My suggestion would be JoJo in Nevada Sports, Tignes Lac.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jaimie in Beanies in Morzine has a good rep.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hagleitners in Saalbach (on Schulstrasse)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Fartbag wrote:

Thanks! Do they have a website or anything?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skiinglegs wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

JoJo is very "Old School", so I suspect there is no website. All he does is fit boots. Basically, you call in and make an appointment.

Address: Résidence Le Lac, Rue de la Poste, 73320 Tignes,
Phone: +33 4 79 24 10 36
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:
skiinglegs wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

JoJo is very "Old School", so I suspect there is no website. All he does is fit boots. Basically, you call in and make an appointment.

Jojo fits for most of the French national squad. He's fitted for me and my GF over the years. Old school and brilliant. He will often expect you to go back after 3 days and report back for a fine tuning.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
skiinglegs wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

I bought mine from JoJo last winter. I made an appointment for the day I arrived. He speaks good English, his sense of humour is quite dry but we had a laugh.

My first pair of boots so nothing to compare against but he seemed very thorough, people said to leave 2 hours but I was out in 40 minutes. Bought the first pair of boots I tried. I basically put my trust completely in him and hoped his knowledge and experience would see me right. JoJo told me to come back after 2 days skiing.

The boots were tight as I expected them to be. I had pain in the arches of my feet during the first day. It eased a bit the 2nd day and the boots loosened up a bit. I went back and he stretched the shells slightly in an area I had told him was pinching a bit. I also had custom footbeds made and fitted. I'd be lying if I said the boots fitted like gloves, however they improved day on day and the last 2 days I found them comfortable and no pain.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bought some from Nevada 10 years ago. It was Frank ? not Jo Jo who fitted me. Since then I've discovered they were a full mondo size too big. I went back 3 times in the week with rubbing issues ( I now know likely to be from foot moving around) Maybe I was unlucky, it wasn't busy when I was fitted ( no one else in shop) and I had rung ahead to book. Footbeds only done after 3 days which i thought unusual.

Looking forward to my new boots for this season, got those done in UK. Been perfect in the fridges so far.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@endoman, I believe that the business was passed from JoJo to Frank at some point, but that it didn't work out and then JoJo took it over again. AFAIK there is only JoJo now. He fitted both my husband and I about 5 years ago, at different times of the season. We were both sent away to ski for a couple of days and then come back for adjustments, which we did. Since then neither of us has needed any adjustments and both of us are very happy with our boots. If either of us need boots again we've already agreed that it's going to mean a holiday in Tignes and a trip to JoJo!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All Mountain Rental have a shop under Beanies in Morzine and they are great as @under a new name, says Jamie (The owner) is fab.
Tomma who works for Jamie has sorted me out and I have been very happy with the boots and service and the slight adjustments he made after a few days skiing.

morzine@allmountainrental.com
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@endoman, Franck was the son in law for one of JoJos first brood, he ran the shop whilst JoJo had the shop in Bourg. He is now long gone and JoJo is back in charge at Nevada and brood Number two is often running round the shop - must be the mountain air!

Ig he is too busy there is also Jean-Charles just across the road in Café Flo who is also good (I bought my last set there).

If, by chance its touring boots then just down from Nevada is the tourers' mecca called Mountain Attitude, ask for Ludo.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Might not have been Franck then, it was an older chap, probably knocking on 50 or 60, ten years ago. When I went back for one of my adjustments there was someone younger also in there. I knew no better about fit back then,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@endoman, I had exactly the same experience 5 years ago (minus any footbeds). It was definitely JoJo though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone. I'm also looking Alpbach in Austria. People have recommended these guys: http://www.sport-hun.at/

Anyone have experience with them?
snow conditions
@247snowman wrote:
All Mountain Rental have a shop under Beanies in Morzine and they are great as @under a new name, says Jamie (The owner) is fab.
Tomma who works for Jamie has sorted me out and I have been very happy with the boots and service and the slight adjustments he made after a few days skiing.

morzine@allmountainrental.com

Thanks, from their website I got the impression that they only do rentals. Didn't see any "bootfitting" section.
ski holidays
blacksheep wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
skiinglegs wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

I bought mine from JoJo last winter. I made an appointment for the day I arrived. He speaks good English, his sense of humour is quite dry but we had a laugh.

My first pair of boots so nothing to compare against but he seemed very thorough, people said to leave 2 hours but I was out in 40 minutes. Bought the first pair of boots I tried. I basically put my trust completely in him and hoped his knowledge and experience would see me right. JoJo told me to come back after 2 days skiing.

The boots were tight as I expected them to be. I had pain in the arches of my feet during the first day. It eased a bit the 2nd day and the boots loosened up a bit. I went back and he stretched the shells slightly in an area I had told him was pinching a bit. I also had custom footbeds made and fitted. I'd be lying if I said the boots fitted like gloves, however they improved day on day and the last 2 days I found them comfortable and no pain.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the write up of your personal experience. Do you think it's worth going if it's only a short 3 or 4 day ski trip? People saw he's a bit old fashioned but does he have the latest boots/tech etc.
latest report
@skiinglegs, yes he has the latest boots and tech. Our experience was that you got what you needed, without any fuss or upselling. Neither my husband nor I have custom footbeds, since he said we didn't need them. But he was completely insistent that my husband's slightly thicker than average ski socks were unsuitable ('you can wear these for fishing or gardening') and threw in an expensive new pair with the boots.

It's absolutely worth going even if it's a short trip - you're setting yourself up for years of proper-fitting ski boots. I could not believe the difference it made to my enjoyment of skiing. It also saves time and hassle at the start of every trip (and in my case, the middle of every trip as I always went back and swapped my uncomfortable rental boots).
snow report
@skiinglegs,

All Mountain Rental fit boots, very well, as others have said. I highly recommend them.
snow report
Tomas [sp] in the basement of Beanies cafe in Morzine sorted me out last season and seemed very knowledgable and thorough.
snow conditions
skiinglegs wrote:
blacksheep wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
skiinglegs wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the write up of your personal experience. Do you think it's worth going if it's only a short 3 or 4 day ski trip? People saw he's a bit old fashioned but does he have the latest boots/tech etc.

I'll be honest I wasn't sure what were the latest boots etc. As I say I decided to trust him completely, I know very little in this area so I hoped the recommendations on here held true.

I bought the only pair of boots I tried on. This was under JoJo's instruction about how they should feel and fit. I ended up with some Alpina Thor 12's which having since googled seemed to be a couple of years old model. Very little info out there.

http://www.alpinasports.com/product/x_thor_12/232

So I didn't get the latest and greatest but maybe that's the point. You hopefully get what is right for you. I doubt ski boot tech has changed much over 2 or 3 years.
ski holidays
@blacksheep,
Quote:

I doubt ski boot tech has changed much over 2 or 3 years.

Hmmmm. Your average piste ski boot, probably not. However, there is an ongoing revolution in the marketing of "all-mountain" boots with lighter plastics, walk/tour modes, Dynafit tech inserts, etc. aimed at the truly gnarly (or aspirational) one week a year skier who thinks they might get off piste, if there's nice snow and a bluebird day.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
aimed at the truly gnarly (or aspirational) one week a year skier who thinks they might get off piste, if there's nice snow and a bluebird day.

World class shading there, @under a new name,
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
Tomas [sp] in the basement of Beanies cafe in Morzine sorted me out last season and seemed very knowledgable and thorough.

Just to be clear, the basement at Beanies and All Mountain Rental are the same company. They have a rental shop and a Café/Bar at separate locations. Boot fitting is done downstairs at the Café/Bar.
latest report
@blacksheep,
Presumably you were given a pretty good discount on such an old model! wink
latest report
zzz wrote:
@blacksheep,
Presumably you were given a pretty good discount on such an old model! wink

Laughing Think my pants were down a bit..... just checked what I paid. £222 it converted to. The footbeds were £90.
snow conditions
@Dr John, i have no idea what you might be talking about. Twisted Evil

Alpina still exist? There’s a brand I haven’t seen in some time!
latest report
@under a new name, Only the best wear them these days wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zzz wrote:
@skiinglegs,

All Mountain Rental fit boots, very well, as others have said. I highly recommend them.

Thanks. From their website I got the impression that they only did rental stuff. Do they do custom insoles and all that?
ski holidays
@skiinglegs, yes.

Although you raise a good question re Jaimie’s marketing. It’s not at all clear what his sales and service other than rental is.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy