Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda orange or green ?

Poster: A snowHead
So, like it says - which way is considered better, or is it worth going both ways? I've watched a few YouTube vids and there seems to be a lot of riding the lifts so is one way preferable? Is there better skiing to be had by simply exploring the various small ski areas ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Orange defo. Green is pretty much all lifts from Corvara back up to Dantercepies (5km). When I first skied the SR it was a full day out, now it's 3/4 hours thanks to lift upgrades. You could do both ways in a day at a push. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing the two directions you're (obviously) skiing completely different pistes so yes it's worth going both ways. Even the views change when you're on skis vs being in the gondola / chairlift.

That said, exploring the various small ski areas (linked or not), some of which are not that small, would be a better and more efficient use of the majority of a week.

Damn. You reminded me that I have friends going to the Dolomites in Feb and I can't join. (I'd be annoyed if I didn't realise that the reason I can't go is that I have several awesome ski weeks lined up.)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Roguevfr, I like to go both ways and I doubt I'm alone on here.

The Sella Ronda is more about the crafty detours than the circuit itself - so yes, explore the various smaller areas would be my advice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Either way it's nothing spectacular, at least as far as skiing or better to say "skiing" is concerned. In whole loop there are maybe 3 or max 4 really good tracks, and rest is just cruising from one lift to the other. So unless you just have to do it to brag you made it around (no big deal, as it can be done in less then 4h, when you go those 3 good tracks several times), I would personally suggest to stick with some fun runs and don't bother going around.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also note the SR itself tends to have heavier traffic because folks like to do the SR. We generally try to avoid it (at times) for that reason.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
essex wrote:
Also note the SR itself tends to have heavier traffic because folks like to do the SR. We generally try to avoid it (at times) for that reason.

I agree. The SR itself has to be done for the first time visitor because it's there and well known. From then on, treat it as the M25.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think Ronald did it 3 times in a day once.
It is more lifts than skiing and far better to shoot off as everyone says. The ski Panorama and Great War Ring, however offer awesome skiing and should not be missed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anticlockwise was better for lift queues. Nothing to choose otherwise for me snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slightly OT, but I'm not keen on that new lift over the valley in Arabba.

Takes away some of the character of that part of the clockwise circuit for my money and as others have said, it's not as though the SR is short of lift-time already
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What does the Great War Ring involve?

For me the best bit of the sella ronda was the steep red from Porta Vescovo above Arabba (orange circuit)...as other have said there is a lot of lift time. There are bits which are easy to tack on, e.g. the black from Vallon above Corvara is worth a quick crack.

Due to 3 out of 4 days last time I was there being blizzard on blizzard, we had fantastic skiing in Val Gardena but didn't get to explore too much. I'm pretty tempted for a return trip, i was gutted not to make it over to the hidden valley and Marmolada during the last trip
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
essex wrote:

This exactly.

If you can ski fast and know where you are going, you can easily get around it 2 or 3 times a day (without traffic!) - But thats not the point, to me its finding the little off shoots that you wouldn't normally ski, and on those off shoots are some cracking quiet slopes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
Slightly OT, but I'm not keen on that new lift over the valley in Arabba.

I can see why you’re not keen on it for the reason given but it is good for those staying in Arabba. I’m sure it hasn’t been good for some of the bars etc. there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hollando wrote:

For me the best bit of the sella ronda was the steep red from Porta Vescovo above Arabba (orange circuit)...as other have said there is a lot of lift time. There are bits which are easy to tack on, e.g. the black from Vallon above Corvara is worth a quick crack.

Due to 3 out of 4 days last time I was there being blizzard on blizzard, we had fantastic skiing in Val Gardena but didn't get to explore too much. I'm pretty tempted for a return trip, i was gutted not to make it over to the hidden valley and Marmolada during the last trip

Do it.

Also Santa Croce, Gran Risa and Cinque Torri.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
agw wrote:
hollando wrote:

Do it.

Also Santa Croce, Gran Risa and Cinque Torri.

A trip over to Val di Fassa is a must. snowHead
snow report
A slightly different question
I've been to Alta badia for a couple of years and haven't done the sr
Due to ski school timings my youngest 10 will be skiing for her third week
Which way is easier? I have concerns about those reds round arabba
And find the reds can vary hugely from almost blue to black
And I know I don't want to get stuck on a gnarly busy red with a tired child and probably a wife reverting to snow plough too
latest report
@HugoC, The green route is definitely easier and you miss the runs on the Portavescovo side of Arabba.
snow conditions
The Great war ring is best done anti clockwise. It involves to buses and a horse drawn lift.
You basically ski to the bottom of the Maramolada cable car, cross the road and get the bus to Alleghe. Ski. Back on yourself down to the bottom of Alleghe though as its epic, before going back up and skiing over the top to get the bus up to CinqueTorri.

Then ski the hidden valley back to to the horse drawn lift to Alta Badia. We did it in a day with a trip up Marmolada first and a switch back at Alleghe a drew wonderful runs down through The trees and cinque Torri.

The Skia Panorama route is basically out of the back of Alba, over Val di Fassa and a loop over the other side. There are seriously nice black en route. The black back to Alba is almost always empty. The new cable car at Alba makes it much easier to do now too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy