Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Flight Deck prizm - snow rose or Hi Pink?

Poster: A snowHead
No you just didn't specify which ski club and there are loads.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For anyone that's buying Oakley goggles make sure both lenses are PRIZM ones, when I was looking for mine lots of the good looking deals I found had one PRIZM lense and one normal lense, sneaky b@stards rolling eyes

Edit: @admin, fair enough
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old Fartbag wrote:
I would also include Freeze Pro Shop and Shade Station as reputable online dealers....both of which I have used (especially the former).

My spare lenses came from Freeze Shop Pro because they offered the best prices I could find on Oakley lenses.

The goggles themselves (Airbrake frame + black iridium prizm + rose prizm) came from Snow+Rock outlet in Bridgend, but I wouldn't advise going all the way to Bridgend (it's a sh!thole) unless you know they've got what you're after...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
@mishmash, interesting comment. I have a pair of the jade prizms but bust my persimmon low light lens in a crash in April. I was planning on replacing those with hi-pink, but as I have sensitive eyes, I’m now wondering if rose might be better. Cheaper too, I think.

Did you not find that the Prizm Jade worked as well as the Persimmon in low light?....it's just that the Rose is a bit better again.

my 2cts on this. I too find the Prizm Rose to be too bright in situations of high level cover with thin clouds or clearing clouds with sun breaking through. Having had a Hi Yellow before i'd say the rose is on par if not a much better lens.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
extremerob wrote:

my 2cts on this. I too find the Prizm Rose to be too bright in situations of high level cover with thin clouds or clearing clouds with sun breaking through. Having had a Hi Yellow before i'd say the rose is on par if not a much better lens.

It sounds like the Prizm Jade/Saphire/Torch could work well for you in most conditions.

As someone who has worn Sunnies with changeable lenses as much as possible (in a Gapery fashion with a helmut); I have now bitten the bullet and bought some Flight Decks with Prizm Torch as my 80% of the time, go to option. The FDs were the first Goggle that gave the feeling that I wasn't looking through 2 loo roll inserts. I will now look like a bug-eyed fly....instead of a Gaper. Happy days! Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:

It sounds like the Prizm Jade/Saphire/Torch could work well for you in most conditions.

Probably yes - However, I bought mine in a set (great value) which was the frame, 2 lenses and case from oakley and it came coupled with the Black Iridium and Rose. Obviously the Oakley coverage chart graphic shows quite some generous overlap. I seem to recall the guy in Oakley Shop in Covent Garden saying that the only package of 2 lenses and frame was the black iridium and rose as the other lenses were all too similar so no point packaging them.

If I was buying form scratch and there was a package that was Torch and Hi Pink I would seriously consider it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
extremerob wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Probably yes - However, I bought mine in a set (great value) which was the frame, 2 lenses and case from oakley and it came coupled with the Black Iridium and Rose. Obviously the Oakley coverage chart graphic shows quite some generous overlap. I seem to recall the guy in Oakley Shop in Covent Garden saying that the only package of 2 lenses and frame was the black iridium and rose as the other lenses were all too similar so no point packaging them.

If I was buying form scratch and there was a package that was Torch and Hi Pink I would seriously consider it.

Given that combination, you are pretty much covered. The Prizm Black are versatile for such a dark lens...my son managed in them in some dodgy light - but he has young eyes. Personally, I find the Rose has a wide range, but I don't have sensitive eyes. I have A Frame 2s with the Rose lens that I picked up for a song...but peripheral vision is somewhat restricted - hence the purchase of the FDs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FWIW. Freeze Pro Shop are doing 10% off everything ending midnight on Sunday. Use code FLASH10
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
FWIW. Freeze Pro Shop are doing 10% off everything ending midnight on Sunday. Use code FLASH10

I just ordered a 5th PRIZM lens... oooooopppppssss....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scottydonald wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Typical! Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
scottydonald wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Typical! Sad

it was after I got the email a couple hours ago... so I did get the 10% OFF!!!!

only did it due to the discount...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scottydonald wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
scottydonald wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Typical! Sad

it was after I got the email a couple hours ago... so I did get the 10% OFF!!!!

only did it due to the discount...

Excellent. snowHead

(Sorry, misinterpreted your post as just having missed out).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers for a very helpful thread.

Been sitting on the fence for ages regards a new pair of google but have gone for some Oakley flight deck in black with prism rose lense from rxsport.

I have some scratched dark goggles and some cheap decathlon sunnies for bluebird days but really needed something better for flat light days..

After the advice on here , decided the rose sounded better overall than the hi-pinks.

£ 115 at rx sport but they have 10% off until end Oct with code oakley10
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sheffskibod wrote:
Cheers for a very helpful thread.

Been sitting on the fence for ages regards a new pair of google but have gone for some Oakley flight deck in black with prism rose lense from rxsport.

I have some scratched dark goggles and some cheap decathlon sunnies for bluebird days but really needed something better for flat light days..

After the advice on here , decided the rose sounded better overall than the hi-pinks.

£ 115 at rx sport but they have 10% off until end Oct with code oakley10

You will notice a big difference, especially in clarity, from your cheap Decathlon ones.

Prizm Rose is much more versatile than the Hi Pink, as a one lens quiver.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, @Tubaski, I’ll let you know when I’ve done more research on astigmatism and the effects on skiing vision...

I agree with others’ opinion that you’ll only need the Prizm Jade/Sapphire/Torch most of the time, maybe 80-90% of the time or so. The odd days when it’s white out and snowing the whole day (@Scarlet remember Arabba this year?), my experience with the Prizm Rose has been good, in that I could make my way around without stumbling... I’m just wondering how much better the Hi Pink would be in such situations. Although most say it’s only a marginal difference, that marginal difference could be a bigger difference to my eyesight with the astigmatism factored in.

I’ll let everyone know when I’ve got more new info. And yes I am only looking at a 2 lens quiver, as Prizm Rose is most likely the most versatile for a 1 lens quiver. Thanks everyone for sharing your insights, experiences and recommendations! Madeye-Smiley snowHead
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, there’s no such thing as a one lens quiver
snow report
just bought mine today at cheshire oaks £150 with two prizm lens, which I thought was a good deal, from a oakley outlet shop
latest report
Wow which 2 Prizm lens? Do you know if they just sell the lenses separately? Might be an incentive to make that drive there....
snow conditions
i got the torch iridium and rose in the air brake
they have all the prizm and others which are cheaper, I think you can get a prizm and non prizm for £110
i think the prizm lens by them selves were £50 so I thought I might as well get the googles and 2 lens it seemed the best deal
snow report
I was very impressed with the brands at cheshire oaks - you could spend a fortune there
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, there’s no such thing as a one lens quiver

Oh well, it sounded good when I wrote it.....but I agree, it is a nonsense statement, though you know what I mean.
snow report
Last Feb/Mar - 3 weeks - in Kitz and Zell, both PRIZM Rose & Saphire Flight Decks got me through all types of weather and terrain. Got a great deal from Shade Station for the Rose FD's and a good deal on PRIZM Torch 1/2 Jacket sunglasses too from Wiggle.
snow report
@Gstar That is a great deal. Be a good idea to have a scan on Black Friday too.
snow conditions
Always keep an eye on Surfdome. They often have additional discount codes.

https://www.surfdome.com/Oakley_Clothing_and_Oakley_Accessories~59?sort=discount_desc&taxons%5B%5D=381

Think I paid £20 for Prizm rose and £27 for Prizm hi-pink in Airbrake XL. For that price I wasn't fussed about choosing between the two.
snow report
scottydonald wrote:
interesting above...

I am an Oakley person - 40 pairs of sunglasses and a few pairs of goggles...

PRIZM Hi Pink
PRIZM Rose
PRIZM Sapphire
PRIZM Black

I do own some normal lenses for goggles(Hi yellow, Persimmon, Hi Persimmon, Emerald, Blue, fire, Black) but once you go PRIZM you don't go back... same for me, GF and Dad and numerous friends...

If I was to buy one lens then it would Be Rose...
Black is awesome for bluebird days but I find myself needing to change to Rose if any real mountain shadows...
Sapphire is a great around lens and I used that a lot last season... great in most conditions even Bluebird and not too heavy snow...
Rose - used it in heavy heavy snow numerous times in trees and open alpine... great lens and it can be used in the sunny days... Personally I can't use this as I get migraines but GF uses the lens most of the time unless a perfect bluebird day and she changes to Black...
Hi Pink is perfect only when snowing or very flat light... is it much better than the Rose no, but it is slightly better yes....

For this season I have -

Airbrakes - PRIZM Black and Rose
Fall Line - PRIZM Hi Pink
Flight Deck - PRIZM Sapphire

Could you please give me an idea of the Fall line vs Flight Deck, particularly re whether the Fall line frame is visible in the peripheral vision ve the Flight Deck? Thanks !
snow report
mishmash wrote:
scottydonald wrote:
interesting above...

PRIZM Hi Pink
PRIZM Rose
PRIZM Sapphire
PRIZM Black

I do own some normal lenses for goggles(Hi yellow, Persimmon, Hi Persimmon, Emerald, Blue, fire, Black) but once you go PRIZM you don't go back... same for me, GF and Dad and numerous friends...

Black is awesome for bluebird days but I find myself needing to change to Rose if any real mountain shadows...
Sapphire is a great around lens and I used that a lot last season... great in most conditions even Bluebird and not too heavy snow...
Rose - used it in heavy heavy snow numerous times in trees and open alpine... great lens and it can be used in the sunny days... Personally I can't use this as I get migraines but GF uses the lens most of the time unless a perfect bluebird day and she changes to Black...
Hi Pink is perfect only when snowing or very flat light... is it much better than the Rose no, but it is slightly better yes....

For this season I have -

Could you please give me an idea of the Fall line vs Flight Deck, particularly re whether the Fall line frame is visible in the peripheral vision ve the Flight Deck? Thanks !

I just had to go through there and try them both on...

I don't think about it... they are similar just the vertical height of the flight decks are greater... I love them both...

wore all three pairs I own in the last week in Val and The Lecht....
latest report
scottydonald wrote:
mishmash wrote:
scottydonald wrote:
interesting above...

PRIZM Hi Pink
PRIZM Rose
PRIZM Sapphire
PRIZM Black

For this season I have -

I just had to go through there and try them both on...

I don't think about it... they are similar just the vertical height of the flight decks are greater... I love them both...

wore all three pairs I own in the last week in Val and The Lecht....

I had found that the Airbrake XL - both the seal and the frame coming into view was worse than the Flight Deck. Might give the Fall Lines a try!
snow report
I returned a pair of Fall Lines last week as I really did not like the fit compared to my Flight Decks.

It felt like my eyelashes were touching the inside of the lens. There was also a lot of frame visible in my opinion.

Bought another pair of Flight Decks instead!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have the jade on my FD's but recently in Sweden just before xmas because of the low light I bought some pinks. Now I feel I've got a pretty reasonable span over light levels.
As for Oakley giving up the FD's I think that's unlikely as they are very popular and the have just made a smaller version for women. Also why do people think it's hard to change lenses. Once you've done it a few times it's easy. Have a look on YouTube for a tutorial..
snow report
collym125 wrote:
I returned a pair of Fall Lines last week as I really did not like the fit compared to my Flight Decks.

It felt like my eyelashes were touching the inside of the lens. There was also a lot of frame visible in my opinion.

Bought another pair of Flight Decks instead!

Tried a pair on yesterday and I agree - sticking with FDs!
ski holidays
FrequentFaller wrote:
I have the jade on my FD's but recently in Sweden just before xmas because of the low light I bought some pinks. Now I feel I've got a pretty reasonable span over light levels.

Do you feel that the Hi Pinks are much superior in poor light than Jade, or just a little better?....My daughter has Sapphire as her only lens, so was wondering if the outlay was worth it.
snow report
Everyone's eyes are different, and you won't know which is right for you without testing them.

I use the Prizm Rose on my Flight Deck XMs pretty much all the time - only switching to my Prizm Sapphire Iridium in completely clear, sunny conditions.

However, my friend has the Prizm Rose, and he only uses it on whiteout and very dull days, or his eyes hurt.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag,
Its hard to give a definitive answer because I'm not standing on the slopes with a pair of FD's with both my lenses in swapping backwards and forwards. However I would say that there was a difference as by 2.30 in Sweden on the 21st December I had to ski with my goggles up and not particularly easy with snow going into your eyes. However the next day with the pinks which was a similar day I could see all the chop and ruts. The Jade are good for everything else.
snow report
@FrequentFaller, Cheers - much as I suspected....I wonder if the Prizm Rose would also have been too dark.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
FrequentFaller wrote:

Do you feel that the Hi Pinks are much superior in poor light than Jade, or just a little better?....My daughter has Sapphire as her only lens, so was wondering if the outlay was worth it.

My Rose are def superior to my Sapphire in poor light. High Pink are marginally better but painful in brighter white outs when the sun is fighting to burn through .
ski holidays
Hi all. Looks like this is an old thread but one which is still very relevant. Just how bad is the Rose prizm lens on a sunny day? I'm looking to just get one goggle and ideally want it to be decent in sunny conditions and for night skiing (with lights of course).
latest report
canaduck wrote:
Hi all. Looks like this is an old thread but one which is still very relevant. Just how bad is the Rose prizm lens on a sunny day? I'm looking to just get one goggle and ideally want it to be decent in sunny conditions and for night skiing (with lights of course).

If your eyes are not overly sensitive, the Rose - which has a fairly low VLT (26%) - works fine in sunny conditions. It is imo their most versatile lens.

If want to go lighter, the Prizm Persimmon (VLT 39%) might even work...but is riskier if buying untried. I coped OK in their old Persimmon Lens (62%) when the sun came out....but it wouldn't be my choice for that.
latest report
canaduck wrote:

One of my ski group runs the Prizm Rose as their go to and only pair of goggles/lens. He says they work very well in all conditions. Personally, I run the Torch as my all rounder and Hi-Pink for when it's really bad vis. If it's wall to wall blue skies then I swap to sun glasses anyway which are prizm black lens.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy